Fixed Axle Friday Throws

This thread makes me realize I need a fixed axle. Someone want to make a trade?

6 Likes

I’m liking what I’m seeing here!

2 Likes

Meta triangle on a fixie. Took me a some tries :joy:

11 Likes

Slide into my DMs if you’re still looking. I have an OUT that is in great shape.

1 Like

Today I’m throwing a heavily played OG Duncan Wheels, not to be confused with the 2016 Wheels released with the C bearing spacer. If you think the Standard Butterflys are to light the old Wheels come in around 60 grams givining them the power to live up to their Long Spin claims printed on the cap. These use to be my jam back in the summer days of my youth. Folklore has it, that modded Wheels of this vintage were @unklesteve 's and the Duncan Crew’s inspiration for what would become the Freehand. Old dogs can learn new tricks.

Have a good #fixedaxlefriday YYEF :call_me_hand:let’s see some pics :camera_flash:

7 Likes

I’ve had a bit of a fixed axle week these past few days. Mostly been using my 20eh-teen:

Not going to lie, I wasn’t a big fan of this reworking of the eh to begin with. I found the rims a bit sharp for my liking and I threw it a few times when I bought it and then put it back in it’s bag.

Just before I went on holiday I was packing my yoyo bag, (a small zip pencil case bag that can fit about 4-5 YoYos and various accessories) I put my Grail, Vayder, Alleycat, some ammo and I was going to put a legend wing for my fixie fix too. I went to my string drawer for some cotton string for the legend and I found the eh-teen bag under the string bunch. I thought, what the heck, I’ll give it another go and in the travel bag it went.

I’m so glad I did, because I used it more than all of the others I brought, poor Alleycat didn’t get a look in! Shoots the moon with ease and stalls just se to work a treat. Didn’t notice the sharp rims apart from the added rim weight and spintime they give. I love my 2014 eh and I think it will remain the go-to fixie for a long while, but for the moment i have not put this thing down (and I can’t see myself doing so for a long time!).

Have a great fixed axle Friday folks!

12 Likes

TMBR Irving Pro

Totally different feel from the the rest of my Tim-bah’s, definitely the least responsive.

7 Likes

I love TMBRs but don’t care for that one. I have a ton and the rest are great though.

6 Likes

I don’t like it that much either, I appreciate how it’s different than every other wooden fixed axle I’ve owned, most similar to the regular Irving (didn’t like that either)

1 Like

It’s an actual H!!

(I find that responsive H shapes do not play well though. Not sure entirely why… but the few unresponsives H-es I converted to responsive, I have mostly converted back!)

4 Likes

Mine seems and plays very light for its size. But like I said, tons of others and they are all fantastic.

2 Likes

Quoted from YoYo Wiki

TMBR yo-yos to be so good, they are “cheating” at fixed axle. This is mostly due to the fact that they can be tuned up for unresponsive play

The Irving Pro was definitely designed for doing 1A tricks on a fix axle. Eli Hops and Spirit Bombs should be fun

2 Likes

Well for me anyway they don’t play well for something like spirit bomb. Too light. Not enough oomph.

4 Likes

Still playing some classic plastics.Today I’m throwing the Spintastics Manta Ray. The take apart design of the Manta and its wood axle makes for a convenient smooth player for getting those GT stall flips. It also has a nice weight to it at 52 grams. These are definitely underrated in the world of fixed axle or maybe it’s history is just over shadowed by the Tiger Shark (which is the same body, but with a bearing) that won 1A Worlds 20 years ago.

Have a good #fixedaxlefriday YYEF :call_me_hand:let’s see some pics :camera_flash:

9 Likes

That thing is really well taken care of. Might try to find me one. I keep getting maildays on Thursdays, and not usually fixies, so I bring my newnew to work. No Fixies for me today, but I will live vicariously through all of you.

3 Likes

Recently this thread has been bringing me great joy despite not owning any fixed axles. I do have a few responsive yoyos which I have been enjoying but really must start saving to buy a nice wood fixie!

3 Likes

@vegabomb and @Egon came across this video of Colin doing Kamikaze on a TMBR Irving Pro. His looks to be made of Purple Heart though, which would have some weight.

8 Likes

Duncan Crossed Flags Tournament
Authentic Barney Akers Demonstration Yo-Yo
Not a guess, authenticated by Bob Rule

15 Likes

Colin is insane!!!

1 Like

Is it possible to ‘like’ a post more than once? That is beautiful.

2 Likes