Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Its not an irving. Even the earlier irving’s still had the little hole to remove axle knots.

2 Likes

Yeah, Im pretty sure it was about the 4th yoyo I’d made. I was having tons of issues with purpleheart burning from my router back then. I also didn’t have a laser engraver back then.

6 Likes

That’s pretty awesome! Thanks for helping me solve the mystery. I like it. It’s a narrower profile than most of my fixies, except maybe the retro gamer which is also undersized. Plays very uniquely.

3 Likes

Those are very kind words considering that the yoyo would be pretty bad. Lol

I’ve come a looooooong way.

4 Likes

I won’t disagree there :joy:

Playing two of my faves today. Spinworthy KNack and Wildwood Gnomad.

15 Likes

I just realized this TMBR 2020 FAF Walnut Modern One Off is almost like a wooden YYR GOPA. When I got this from @gcoomans it needed some tuning, so I put in a 516 Maple axle to get snappy response with these relatively lower walls due to the size of the winged catch zone. Beautiful piece.

Now go Blow up @colinleland 's IG account

19 Likes

Nice WOOPA lol

1 Like

19 Likes

What is that beauty?

This is actually even funnier because if you just changed the readings, you could end up with WOOPA, still representing the same 58 as the GOPA. Amazing.

1 Like

It’s a custom made from a damaged longboard deck.

9 Likes

Anyone got any tips for making this fixie a bit more snappy?

9 Likes

Try Double Looping the axle

2 Likes

This really is a fantastic yoyo it such a privilege to play with thank you @Eric_Newlin

14 Likes

Try using a tighter twisted string. Possibly thinner too, but you might need to ply around with some options until you find the right feel. That said, I haven’t played the El Mijo.

3 Likes

Really hard gettin those feelin just right. Don’t torture yourself

I have it pretty dialed at this point. I use a nice fat string lab plutonium string and it’s great. Of course it makes the tugs nice and snappy, but the friction of the fat string against the large pads leads to much better regens. If you have a Mijo, and play it fixed, I would highly recommend trying a fat string.

4 Likes

Best way to make an El Mijo snappy is to buy an RBC.:sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Haha I love my RBC. Going to jam one of my extra bearings and make it fixed as well.

2 Likes