Bearing issues

Hi, I’m Jacob. I’ve been yo-yoing for two months but I’m obsessed and getting pretty good at it. I’m buying budget yo-yos so this may be the problem, but I’m noticing that the bearings wear out quickly and start to act like responsive yo-yos. This happened after a few days with the replay pro. Is there anything I can do or do I just need to pay more for my yoyos? I’m in the UK.
Thanks, Jacob

4 Likes

Your yoyos are just fine! They may just need to be cleaned/need a little thin lube to make them unresponsive again.

Side note: that replay pro can do everything more expensive yoyos can do. That same yoyo you’re using was used to win the National YoYo Contest in 2015. Great choice and all you really need!

5 Likes

Thanks! That’s really helpful advice:)

Agreed, it’s not the yoyos.

I don’t know if it’s the weather lately or something else but pretty much 1 out of every 3 or so yoyos I buy lately, the bearing seems to konk out almost immediately. Regardless of brand, type, or cost of yoyo.

I’ve taken to just keeping a spare supply of bearings around for quick change outs.

4 Likes

hi! make sure you clean the bearing to check for any gunk that may have gotten into it, yotricks has a good video about it if you want to look it up. the paper cleaning method has saved me a bunch lately. good luck :saluting_face:

2 Likes

You can find info on bearing maintenance as well as other useful info here:

3 Likes

Yeah Yoyo factory uses the same baring in almost all of their unresponsive Yo-yos.

1 Like

Get a bunch of spare bearings so you don’t have to clean them as often.
If your yoyis are around lots of dust, pet dander, carpets, smoke, etc really anything that creates fine particulate then you’ll have to clean more frequently. Humidity also plays a role higher humidity causes more stuff to gunk up the yoyo vs a dry climate.,

Having spare cheap bearings let’s you set “dirty” bearings to the side and keep playing and only having to clean a batch of bearings occasionally. Or be like me have a bunch of yo-yos and rarely have to change anything cause you can swap yoyis or bearings at a moments notice… that second option being stupid expensive

Edit: cardboard sheds too. It’s dumb but it’s why we don’t allow it in datacenters makes too much dust. Unsealed Concrete too so much dust.

Also also I have no idea what’s cost effective for bulk bearings in the uk. Us based I like Hollywood modern for bulk bearings. I imagine there are some cheap options on some Chinese sites otherwise I imagine there’s something more local to keep your bearing buy from being mostly shipping.

1 Like

i am a victim of the second option,

1 Like

Looking into bulk bearings here. Thanks for the advice

1 Like