Loud bearings/unresponsive playing responsive

So I have a collection of about 35 yo-yos some are like 100 dollar ones too. But no matter which one I play with I always have to clean the bearing because it either gets too loud. Like Super loud. Or it plays responsive. And it’s also like doing that 15-30 Minutes after I just cleaned the bearing. Any help would be life changing.

Can you describe how you are cleaning the bearing?
Do you use yoyo lube?

Wish I had some. But I use acetone

Put some yoyo factory lube in the bearing, it is worth it to get some.

I know that some people never use any lube but that never works for my bearings
you only need a small amount (less than a drop) and it should work better.

3 Likes

Try to keep your hands clean and dry when playing. Dirt and sweat can get into the bearing from the string and the string picks it up from your hands.

2 Likes

Ohhhhhhh that might be the case. Sometimes I’ll accidentally get stuff in my throws and and then I just wipe it off thinking it’s fine but maybe it’s getting In the bearing. Also my brother has a rabbit that sheds fur. Sometimes I walk the dog by it to see what he does. Could that be another thing?

If your bearings are truly clean and I mean clean clean and dry with an air compressor or canned air and you don’t live on the ocean, there really is no reason for lube. A dirty bearing is noisy, and a noisy bearing is dirty.

1 Like

I have had my beard hairs get in a bearing, I imagine pet hair is quite possible.

If they are truly clean and clear of any residual lube and grease then a quick blow out with compressed air will clear any hairs or threads or dirt without the need for cleaning with chemicals

This happens to me.

I’ll clean a throw and 40 minutes later it needs to be cleaned again.

Even if I pop in a new bearing it happens sometimes.

I just assume there’s something with where I live, lots of dust or whatever.

Get good at cleaning them lol

1 Like

This used to happen to me all the time that it drive me insane, try to dry them with the air spray can and let them rotate incredibly fast, from when I started to use this method to dry it they stay totally unresponsive for ages.
Probably make them move with just the spin of my thumb wasn’t enough to make them proper dry and at some point they become responsive again, I use the zippo lighter fluid

2 Likes

I’ll give this a try - thanks for the advice!

I noticed I would have to reclean bearings in certain yoyos more often than others. One time I decided to quickly clean the bearing seat really good (just used a qtip and rubbing alcohol). Its been about a month and I havent had to reclean those bearings yet lol. My Monarch was the worst offender of this, literally destroyed 3 bearings with grit from the bearing seat (wouldnt spin clean even after long soaks), now its been clean for a month

1 Like

you gotta do this to get all of the dirt and debris out, this is the way i do it and it works every single time

6 Likes

I just tried this on a bearing I thought was dead and no cleaning or soaks could fix - and a big chunk of fuzz came out and boom good as new.

2 Likes

Another person had this problem too. Acetone can cause corrosion in your bearing if it’s not wiped off/dried completely since it’s made with water, this is why I’d recommend lighter fluid or mineral spirits. I used to use acetone and it does work fine, just something to note and be aware of. I’d bet you’re not drying your bearings enough after cleaning them and the little bit of water/corrosion is causing them to lock up a bit and be responsive.

Also what type of acetone? 100% pure or are you using a brand of nail polish remover? That contains oils and other ingredients for skin and such that will also build up in your bearings.

2 Likes

I’m curious - was it string lint?

May have been. Fuzz of some sort - but amazed that worked I thought that bearing was gone

Interesting. I’m wondering if certain strings are why different people gave different luck with bearings.

1 Like

I use the paper method all the time. It also helps after lubing if you used too much the paper will soak up some of the excess. You just gotta be careful not to pull it through too hard or rip it while it’s in the bearing.

I very rarely use a solvent to clean my bearings, but have used lighter fluid in the past and it seems to work fine. I think it’s only really necessary if there’s gunk in there that the paper can’t get out.

Compressed air, paper method, pin drop of lube, paper and/or air again if needed, good to go.

1 Like