My yo-yo is suddenly responsive

I have no idea why all of a sudden this is playing responsive can someone explain why this is happening… I’m completely confused right now for the last week it was playing amazing now plays responsive

Clean jur bearing

2 Likes

you mean like put some thin lube on cuz I’ve done that already and I just got this I think last Tuesday it has the NSK gold-plated concave bearing which apparently doesn’t need that much maintenance from what I was told and read, I’m taking the bearing out now and cleaning again hopefully that works thank you

When you take your yoyo apart do you put the string on before you assemble it? All it takes is a couple tiny threads from the string to get trapped between the bearing and bearing seat to cause problems. It also could just be the bearing itself. Try another bearing if you have one. That helps narrow down the issue.

Edit- just saw your newest post, lubing the bearing and cleaning the bearing are two different things. Search on this site for cleaning a bearing.

1 Like

No with acetone

2 Likes

Yeah, I think you may have applied too much lube in the bearing. That’ll make it tug responsive like that.

1 Like

Ooooh ok!! Cool thank you!! I’ll actually go out in a few minutes and buy some what’s the proper way to clean a bearing with that stuff?

1 Like

So too much thin lube can actually make a unresponsive yoyo play responsive??.?.?

1 Like

Absolutely. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I completely did not know that thank you very much

1 Like

Yes sir :slightly_smiling_face:

Clean it with acetone, and re apply a very tiny amount (like less than a full drop)

2 Likes

Awesome thank you again this is great info! this is why I love this forum everyone so nice and helpful this is such a great place haha!! Thank you again! I’ve been freaking out all morning cuz I’m like I just got this thing! What could possibly be wrong?! Lol

Here’s a quick test to see if your bearing is completely unresponsive. Throw a sleeper and let the yoyo sit at the bottom of the string. Pop the yoyo up a few inches. Watch the string in the gap of the bearing. If the string tries to “chase” around the yoyo when you pop it up the bearing isn’t fully unresponsive. The string should just stay very neutral coming out of the gap of the yoyo if the bearing is completely unresponsive. Hope that makes sense lol.

6 Likes

This is the best way to check, completely agree

Yes. Completely makes sense and I’ll be very upset if you are correct because the bearing I have inside of that is an NSK gold-plated concave bearing and that is supposed to be an unresponsive bearing if I’m not mistaking, the yoyo is magicyoyo katana it comes stock with one of them in there

That’s a great tip I would never have thought to do that that’s awesome thank you

1 Like

Well don’t be too mad at the bearing. :slight_smile: remember adding lube changed the response level of the bearing.

1 Like

And I just did that like exactly how you said it and it did not come back up it only comes back up when I pull it up a little bit more than a few inches looks like the string gets snagged on to the response pads could be that it’s the string??

Usually not the pads in my experience. I’d try cleaning the bearing. Mineral spirits is what I use. Try putting the bearing back without adding any lube and see what you think about how it plays. I don’t use lube on any bearings I want unresponsive.

1 Like