My yo-yo is suddenly responsive

Okay will do thank you very much again

I do have a problem with putting too much thin lube on all my bearings I’ve noticed I probably put it on way way too much than I have to

i use lighter fluid to clean. and then super tiny amount of thin lube.

2 Likes

Drop the lube on a pin and then insert needle into the bearing - less is more

2 Likes

Lighter fluid?!? Really?? Lol that’s awesome!!

1 Like

RONSON lighter fluid will work

4 Likes

Cleaning the bearing should do the trick. I personally prefer 100% pure acetone. I just find that it cleans the best and it evaporates on it’s own very quickly to leave you with a dry bearing. No need to aggressively blow it out or anything like that.

Submerge the whole bearing in the tiniest glass you have to avoid wasting too much acetone. Perhaps a shot glass that you don’t plan on using any more. I actually use a lens container for contact lenses. It lets me use the smallest amount of acetone possible, screw the cap on, violently shake it around, scoop it out on the tip of a pencil/pen, and spin it dry. For the sake of clarity, I also remove the shields before the cleaning. Putting the shields back on is optional.

TLDR: Put bearing in acetone, stir around, scoop bearing out, spin it dry.

5 Likes

I’m laughing so hard right now! That is so cool!! What are you getting lighter fluid for?? Oh to cleaning bearing in my yoyo, I’m not trying to be cocky or anything, I think that’s awesome!! I actually have Zippo lighter fluid

2 Likes

So can I just dump some in like a bowl or something and place the bearing in there for a few minutes?

2 Likes

I know a few Zippo tricks too…that dual use

3 Likes

Perfect!! Thank you

1 Like

LOL I totally do too I can open the lid with snapping my fingers I can hold the lighter upside down and like squeeze my middle finger and thumb and roll like snapped at live shot in flip up in the air and you catch it

Yoyo in one hand Zippo in the other!! Leeezzz goooo!

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who took the time out to respond to this I preciate it got some great information and I laugh too I needed that, everyone is amazing!!

1 Like

The only reason i’m using lighter fluid is that i used to be a smoker so its what i have at the minute. When that runs out i’ll switch to Acetone or Isopropyl alcohol. The lighter fluid i’m using up at the minute leaves a tiny amount of residue in the container. Acetone can disolve some plastics so if your using a plastic container to clean your bearings then…could be a yuk situation.

2 Likes

I’ve always been happy with mineral spirits personally…though I have used and had good results with zippo lighter fluid as well.

I also use mineral spirits + 3-in-one oil to make my own thin lube.

1 Like

I suppose it also depends on what you can get your hands on at the time. I’m really bad at getting stuff in advance, so good intentions of getting some Acetone ordered now are remote.

So raid medical cabinet and…rubbing alchol :smile:

1 Like

what ratio do you use ?

1 Like

Usually somewhere around 4 to 6 parts spirits, and 1 part oil…then I only add in a TINY bit of the lube to my bearings and it’s worked out great for me!

1 Like

I hate this advice because it’s so difficult to get right. Use compressed air to spin out the excess lube… far easier.

3 Likes