Unresponsive yoyo became responsive help

i have been using my new yoyo for almost a month now and today all of a sudden it became resposive and I suspect that i have been playing the yoyo roughly (soo much) so it needs yoyo lube, what do you think? Same with my last yoyo I had the deviant i used it soo much then it became responsive I got here forums they told to clean the bearing with lighter fluid i did nothing changed and i tryed the paper cleaning method and nothing changed too so now ig both of my yoyos need yoyo lube ?

2 Likes

Let your yoyos be. They simply believe that true yoyo freedom is to be responsive.

1 Like

No. Bearing prob broke. Tbh I throw mine in a bag and clean em all at once. And sometimes they’re just broke and I pay $5 and buy a new one and stick it in there. Lube is a waste of time

1 Like

I use lube and haven’t ever had a bearing break or seize up and it makes the Yoyo quieter. If cleaning it doesn’t work, it’s probably broke and you should grab a new one but using lube will help the next one not break

Bearings technically do not need lube. The absulute smallest amount of lube will just help prolong the life of bearings. A few years ago I gave a new yoyoer a yoyo that I barely used and less than a month later the bearing became responsive - it was black and totally seized up. I never saw something like that. I gave him a new bearing. If you are regularly having bearings become responsive it’s either because something in your environment is getting in your bearings or…I don’t know what. My friend had several yoyos become responsive in a week. We live in the same building and share a wall and I’ve never had the problem so it was not the environment (air/humidity). I’ve accidentally added too much lube which makes a bearing responsive. $1 got me a bottle of 100% acetone and that cleans bearings well. Just wait till they are totally dry.

2 Likes

So bearings are little balls usually steel spinning around a steel race with a cage which can be plastic or aluminum or steel depending on the bearing. All that said friction will wear down the bearing. Humidity can cause bearings to rust if not lubricated. Pets that shed will get hair into the bearing. Someone using baby powder will gunk up your bearings. Smoke of any kind will get in s bearing. Lots of things can screw with a yo-yo. Cleaning before the bearing is responsive can prevent the wear from deteriorating the bearing faster. In the end your creating friction metal on metal and if you use it enough you can wear it out and it can fail.

Easiest thing have spare bearings. Hollywood modern yoyo (Ross) has a great deal on bulk bearings. Or just buy a few cheap ones off yye when in stock.

Also clean your bearings occasionally. Probably every couple weeks depending n how much your playing.

Edit: if you live near sand… sand can kill a bearing. Sand is bad only use your fixed or least liked yo-yos at the beach. Also salt water is very very not good for bearings. Ocean sandy salty water will send your bearing to the great garbage heap in the sky. (It’s actually probably the garbage heap in the sea sadly…)

3 Likes

Guys i bought this yoyo a month ago i cant get a new bearing the shipping chargee is too much

1 Like

Try to clean again with 100% acetone(nail polish remover) shake often and let it soak extra long

1 Like

I get that, I still believe you should try to have extra bearings if you can but I totally get not wanting to buy more with shipping and stuff.

For the current bearings you got, you could wash them with a different solvent wash them longer and shake them in the solvent to try and clean them better. Lube is adding friction. Friction is your enemy. You want as little friction as you can get so little to no lube if you can. (Humid environments can make it where you need a bit of lube or the bearing might freeze up) paper method maybe as well but wash it again after.

Also check the bearing seat and clean it off with a rag if needed.

1 Like

A game changer for me was to dry them with compressed air in a can, I had your same issue clean them with zippo lighter fluid (in my case) then just kind of dry them spinning them on a pen and soon become responsive again, drying them with the canned air seems they stay unresponsive, don’t ask me why because I have no idea but maybe worth a try :slight_smile:

Also this as @Captrogers said:

Also check the bearing seat and clean it off with a rag if needed.

1 Like

Lighter fluid can leave a residue if allowed to dry on the bearing it’s why many use acetone instead. Same for mineral spirits. I use an air compressor cause I hate buying canned air after working helpdesk for so many years when I was younger.

2 Likes

Maybe someone can help you better, but I just keep a few extra bearings on hand, I hate lube. I have never in my life been able to put any, even the smallest, tiniest bit of lube and it will not ever go back to unresponsive play… they just stay responsive… I have had friends who have been in this ■■■■ since spyy started and they hate lube, because it gets everywhere and what he says, ruins your bearing… I see it’s about 50% 50% with people liking it or not. My old roommate had the same problem and said you just play it until it stops responding is what he was told by the community, yet he never was able to get them to go unresponsive again. I always use a small long triangle cut piece of paper to clean them or throw them away! Some just break, faulty or it could have a hair in it if you have animals.

1 Like