50/50 yoyo thread 11/16 50/50 production run is SOLD OUT!

I’m not trying to influence you or change your mind, but just saying I enjoy yoyojoes reviews a lot more than Dylan’s. I feel like joe goes more in depth, shows like a minute of freestyle with it, goes over the specs, and just goes into really good detail. But that’s just my opinion, and it might be easier to get it to Dylan.

2 Likes

I appreciate it. I have a month or so to think it all over and figure everything out about the process (its my first time doing this too, a lot of decisions to make! Haha)

4 Likes

Man, that looks so damn good in green! DO WANT! :green_heart:

1 Like

0f12988b10401b53db3b69faf9110438be932460

–In my defense I have an appointment I need to be to in 15 minutes and didn’t put any effort into editing this haha :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Haha thats funny!

1 Like

I dig the “twitch green” colorway :ok_hand:

4 Likes

So, I’m just now seeing this but it looks sick! I haven’t tried to venture deep into the thicket this thread is but, how do I get in on this?

2 Likes

Hey Cali! You didn’t miss anything. Currently just waiting on prototypes and go from there, which is why there hasn’t been any updates or posts in the last couple days. If protos are good and a run is done, its gonna be 50 pieces, first come first serve through DMs. Aiming for a late summer drop (end of august/early September). It’s definitely a long/big thread, so ive tried to include everything in the top post. Thanks for your interest!

6 Likes

Congrats bro! Glad you ordered your protos. Well done.

5 Likes

Thank you! I’m really excited/anxious for them! Hope they’re good players! I ordered them a couple days ago. Hoping for some pics soon from the shop, but I have no idea how long this process takes or what it entails; its all new to me.

7 Likes

Oh man! It’s really happening! :smiley: :smiley:

So, sooo happy for you!

6 Likes

Protos are definitely happening!

If protos suck ill definitely reevaluate a bigger run, but i dont think that’s gonna happen haha.

9 Likes

Awesome work, and gotta love the organic shape! Every color looks killer!

I hope they play as you want them to, and that many people enjoy them as they will deserve! Congrats!

4 Likes

Thanks! Glad you like it.

3 Likes

congrats brother, i am very happy for you. i’ve enjoyed watching the different facets of your development - from your designs, discussions, and ig posts - it all has been very honest and organic (seriously no pun intended). people make a yoyo successful, you’re the kind of guy that can make a successful yoyo.

8 Likes

Thank you man! That means a lot. I hope it really works out that way, but we will see :grin:

3 Likes

Hey everyone,

Sorry for going such a long time without an update post. This project has been a roller coaster of emotions the past couple months. I was hoping to have the production run ordered by now, but everything happens for a reason. Everything’s starting to move in the right direction now, so I believe now is the time for a proper update. (TLDR at the bottom of this post)

As some of you may remember, I ordered prototypes at the end of june for the 5050. Part of the reason for no updates was because the machine shop was having a hard time machining the pieces. Because of the small diameter and extra large width, the machinists were having trouble fitting the tool in to machine the inside of the yoyo. This was because of 2 reasons; the IGR lip and the large spike. I ended up making the spike smaller, which ended up looking like this:

This file still was running into the same issues. With this file, I tried to keep the IGR in tact, but was forced into changing the IGR as well as the hub design again to avoid tool crashes during machining. Because of this, I remodeled the rim and the hub design for the third and final iteration. Renders of the current design look like this:

The edge of the hub/cup design features an extrusion from the body parallel to the schmoove groove in the profile in order to keep the walls thin without having to compensate for a thicker wall throughout the whole yoyo. This allowed me to allocate slightly more weight towards the rim. The hub of the yoyo also features a type of “bubble” or “broad spike” leading up to a more modern/normal spike. I hoped that this would allow the spike to stick out more for matador play without running into the machining problems from the last two files. In addition to the hub, the rim is now a lot thinner, with a more “gradual and broad” addition of rim weight as the yoyo gets wider; starting from about the middle of the profile to the end of the rim, as opposed to a large amount of rim weight in a smaller and more compact area that was present in the other 2 designs. This also allowed me to make the rim thinner and more visually appealing, with a more premium aesthetic running under the rim and into the cup. When comparing inertia, this design is actually slightly more powerful/stable than its predecessors while maintaining the same weight, despite the thinner looking rim.

The prototypes have been completed! Here’s what they look like now:

They are currently being anodized and then shipped. I can’t wait to try them, send them out to friends and possibly reviewers, and gather as much feedback as possible before deciding on if changes are needed for a production run of 50. In spite of the lack of updates until now, I appreciate everyone’s continued support and interest in this project. Thank you all for reading

TLDR: The original design had to be adjusted several times in order to be machined. Specs are the same, but changes were made to the rim and hub area. I believe the newest iteration is the best designed of the three, and prototypes are being anodized before shipping.

23 Likes

Looks great! Looking forward to this one!

2 Likes

Kudos on sticking through the process and getting it done! A lot of people (me included) imagine that once you have the CAD done it’s a cakewalk from there. This clearly shows that there’s a lot more that goes into it.

2 Likes

Thank you. It was definitely frustrating at times. I think the current iteration is designed a lot better than the previous 2, which made it worth it in the end

2 Likes