YYF Ricochet

Yes, because it is always sound business practice to openly wish ill of the people in the community you sell to. You are an absolute marketing genius. ::slight_smile:

Flowable is just fine in a titanium yo-yo. I have poured flowable into several titaniums, no harm at all.

1 Like

Lol. Gotta love it when companies refuse to let you know what you’re spending $200 on.

Its a cross-section, Ben, get over yourself. What could you possibly have to hide?

It comes in a clear box. You get what you see.

We have never done this for any yoyo we have ever produced. It is a very obscure request from someone who has repeatedly acted the troll.

Looks like they succeeded.

You may not have done it before but other companies have. That is why I asked (please excuse me if you are talking about someone else). I like seeing how things are made. I am a fan of seeing the cross sections and how materials are stretched to their limits. You are hiding behind your own trollish facade. I would think someone who is always extolling the virtues of their high quality product would want to show off how they made such a killer titanium yo-yo. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Oh, and before you say it… this is me not asking to review your products. That tired tripe has been played out.

Here is what I would like to see with the Ricochet, is it really THAT hard to do?

I have no interest in doing anything for you.

4 Likes

Obviously you have no interest in doing things for anyone. If you look back in this topic you will see that I am not the only one who asked for a cross section.

I’d like to see the cross section. Did you do anything to take advantage of the Ti properties?

As an owner of several YoyoFactory yoyos, I would definitely be interested in seeing the cross section of the Ricochet to see if it would be worth having as my first titanium yoyo.

I personally have no interest in seeing anything other than what I’ve already seen. I just think the benefits of the request, do not outweigh the effort involved. YYF has nothing left to prove to me, because I’ve already heard great things about the yo-yo. So, having said that, I plan to pick up a few of these very soon. I find Yoyofactoryben to be arguably the most accessible yo-yo company representative on the forums. I have seen him, often enough, respond directly to reasonable requests regarding marketing and customer service.

1 Like

You have no curiosity at all about seeing just how thin the walls can get on a titanium yo-yo? That’s cool, I am always one to see how things work, I love tinkering and exploring. I am constantly curious. I love knowledge.

[quote=“TotalArtist,post:49,topic:51073”]
Again, cool for you. The thing is you do not speak for everyone and there are others who are just as curious as I am. There are others, including some in this thread who are interested… some that may be on the fence.

We will have to agree to disagree. I have seen others who are much more personable and approachable on this and other forums. I have also seen other manufacturers who have responded to reasonable, and some rather unreasonable requests.

From what I remember, YoYoFactory never claimed that they were pushing the TI to its limits, nor seeing what they could really do with it design-wise. I believe it was just created to be a standard organic-ish shape made in Titanium affordably enough that your average person could try TI without having to shell out hundreds of $ for it. YYR have a Titanium throw called The Dazzler, and it’s like $500. I’d never pay that much to try out a Titanium throw, whereas I WOULD pay as much as YYF is asking.

Titanium, 6061, 7075, it all makes a negligable difference on play. You can push Ti to greater tolerances that Aluminium, but I highly doubt that any radical design changes that can be made because of this are going to make a yoyo that out-plays a high-end Aluminium to any noticeable degree.

If you buy a Ti yoyo thinking that its going to be incredible just because it’s Ti, then you’re wasting your money. If you’re buying a Ti yoyo because you want to see what it feels like, or you want to spark it, or you’re going to war and need something that’ll stand up to a bit of punishment, then you’ve got the right idea.

If I asked Coca Cola for their recipe, I wouldn’t get it. Just because you ask a company for something, doesn’t mean that they are under any obligation to give it to you. Just because 10 people ask a company for something, doesn’t mean that they are under any obligation to give it to you… especially when it seems you want the information for anti-YYF reasons. You’ve made a request, and YYF have denied your request, which they are fully entitled to do without having to justify themselves.

Don’t get me wrong strobyn, I respect your knowledge, posts and reviews a great deal; you definitely know your stuff and you’re a great asset to the community. But here it seems that you have a bit of a personal vendetta against YYF and you’re being a tad unreasonable because of it…

3 Likes

… following on, I dug through yoyofactoryben’s posts and found the quote to back up my points.

That pretty much says it all. YYF never made any overblown or false claims about it, it just is what it is. I kinda want to pick one up now actually… =P

[quote=“saintrobyn,post:50,topic:51073”]

You have no curiosity at all about seeing just how thin the walls can get on a titanium yo-yo? That’s cool, I am always one to see how things work, I love tinkering and exploring. I am constantly curious. I love knowledge.

Again, cool for you. The thing is you do not speak for everyone and there are others who are just as curious as I am. There are others, including some in this thread who are interested… some that may be on the fence.

As to your question, again… no, I am not curious whatsoever. But, if I was, I’d buy a Ricochet and cut it up to see what it looks like. I love knowledge too, but I don’t mind seeking it by my own efforts, and not at someone else’s expense. I never said I spoke for anyone but myself. Your point of view had been represented, so I added my own. There are others who agree with me too, but at the end of the day, what does it matter? He gave you an answer. He is not cutting up one of his yo-yos for people who are sitting on the fence, or for the sake of “curiosity,” nor because some other company thought it was a cool thing to do. I never met Ben, but it seems he has a mind of his own, and he sells plenty enough yo-yos without cutting them up. He will soon sell that Ricochet to me too, probably two times over. :smiley:

And yes, we do disagree. It is just fine with Ben being who he is, without being compared to other yo-yo manufacturers. I think he is doing a fine job. And, I admire a guy who does not feel the need to unnecessarily jump through hoops. Now that I’ve said that, this thread could use a scrubbing. He is marketing his yo-yo in this thread, a product sold on YoyoExpert. Let it be done in peace. This thread was started by Ben about his yo-yo, not about his personality. But, the forum personality is great too. :smiley:

I’m trying to stay out of this one, but I’d just like to point out, I believe the whole reason they are asking Ben to cut up the yoyo and not doing it themselves is because it’s too hard for the average person to cut Titanium, but it’s easier for YYF, because they have the tools to do so.

That is my point exactly. Buy the yo-yo, and then pay someone to cut it up…to whoever wants to see it from that point of view. I guess it just seems like if I went to an electronics forum, and told Sony that I was “curious” about their 19" $200 LCD TV, and then asked a Sony representative to cut one in half and show me the insides…they might tell me to go shove it. Even if they had a TV already cut in half at the factory, I would not presume they had time to find me one, snap a photo, and upload it, not knowing what my intentions are, and whether it is to their advantage, or if I will ever end up buying one in the end. Even if I told them that Samsung cut one in half for me, I would expect them to say…“Good, but I’m not going to do it…go buy your Samsung instead. Keep the money you were unsure if you were going to spend in the first place. I am not going to comply with any unreasonable requests.”

Posting a picture of it being cut in half would only help drive more sales. They easily could have said we did this right here which you can’t possibly do with 6061 or 7075.

Most companies will gladly show you why they think their product is superior.

I think an argument can be made for or against the photo marketing-wise. In light of that, it is not worth the time or expense, in my opinion. As someone else posted, YYF has not claimed this Ricochet has pushed the use of titanium to the limits, therefore Ben has nothing to prove. What Ben posted on page one of this thread was that this yo-yo is the vanilla of titanium designs. He is hoping this will be the start of YYF using titanium in the future, and this is more of a feeler, and something that appeals to many. Some people just want a yo-yo that they can spark, that won’t ding up, that does not cost a fortune, and plays well. If he accomplished that, it is enough for a wide array of yo-yo consumers. The use of titanium does not always have to push things to the limits, and we can just use titanium for other reasons, or even just because. There are yo-yos that cost about the same price, that are not titanium, and people pay for those, so I just don’t think YYF has anything to prove with that. I think they came up with an idea for this yo-yo, one Ben was kind enough to even share his thoughts behind it and their goal, and from the feedback, they have accomplished that. My point is that, if Ben came out and said, “I have pushed titanium to the ultimate limit.” Then, he might want to show you a photo to prove it. If he has not marketed this yo-yo that way, he has nothing to prove in that regard. It is not worth the time or expense. He has created a yo-yo that appeals to many, you can spark it, it won’t ding up easily, it looks nice and plays nice, a “first titanium” for many who could not afford one before now…mission accomplished. Props to Yoyofactory. If other companies marketed their titanium as having “pushed the use of titanium to the limits,” they owed you a photo. Not the case here. I bought that Oxy Ti 9.06 twice, and never asked Oxygene to cut one in half for me. I have no idea what that thing looks like cut up…and never ever cared either. But, if I asked Oxy to cut one up so I could decide if I was going to spend that money…they might tell me to go shove it. And if they did, I guess I would have asked for it.

By the way, I think those of you bumping this Ricochet thread are doing more to sell Ricochets than a photo of that yo-yo cut up would ever accomplish. Bump away. I remember when people got started on the Terrapin guy giving him a hard time, and I watched YYE sell out of those bearings that same week. The blue Ricochet is out of stock…let’s see how the raw ones do this week. I can see he sold several just recently.

Quoted from my original request. Other than actually taking the time to cut it in half where is the expense involved with using a factory reject?

I saw your request initially.  Compliance with the request would presume he has a reject, and one that he wants to cut up.  Not necessarily the case.  It presumes he wants to take time to cut it up.  Not necessarily the case either.  It further presumes that he wants to take a photo, upload it, and post it.  Not necessarily the case either.  That means that before he does all that, he might want to make sure that it is definitely to his benefit.  I do not see a guaranteed benefit.  Hmmm…not necessarily a benefit.  The target market for the yo-yo is people like me, folks who want a titanium that looks great, plays great, you can spark it and it won’t get all dinged up…oh, and the price is great too…oh and it comes in that cool blue color, never seen that before either.  Color options on titanium…even better.  Great thinking on that too.

I think you were perfectly within your right to ask, but I think it was perfectly reasonable that Ben told you he was not going to do it.  I think this thread has been cleaned up in the past due to some back and forth.  I think he started this thread for some sincere feedback from people who purchased the yo-yo, hoping people are enjoying it, and looking for some ideas for perhaps a next titanium design and what people might want to see YYF do later.  He asked for the numbers so he can keep track of who owns the 500 numbered throws out there.  What started out as a fun thread, and an opportunity to chat with the maker of a fine yo-yo, has turned into something a bit different.  It would be great to see it get back on track.  I would say the same about a thread started by any manufacturer about their product, whether it’s the Terrapin thread, a G2 thread, or whatever.

I think you like Ben…more than you let on.  ;)  I’m beginning to think you two going back and forth is a publicity stunt. You are helping him sell some throws right…is he paying you for these bumps?

But, while I’m at it…take a look at this.  Ricochet in action:

[quote=“TotalArtist,post:59,topic:51073”]
Yep, cleaned up when Ben said that other companies tried to kill the uniqueness of titanium yo-yos by selling them cheaper… and without outsourcing no less. Making baseless accusations that it was obviously a loss leader since it could not possibly be done while making a profit if they machined it themselves.

[quote=“TotalArtist,post:59,topic:51073”]
Again, we will have to agree to disagree.