YYF Ricochet

I wish I got this during the july 4th sale. I was on the fence then, and am more so now. I did get 4 throws during that sale though, including my much beloved wrath.

I have a possible gig coming up next month. If it comes through, I’ll buy for sure. In the mean time, I am holding off in case I can find some of the more desirable throws that I am looking for on the b/s/t.

Sounds great. I had trouble choosing among several throws during that sale. I ended up purchasing 4 total…one of them the Ricochet. I overspent, because I knew that kind of deal might not come around again until black Friday. So, I justified spending more than I planned to. I’m trying to be ready for the time when the next big sale comes around. :slight_smile:

that is awesome! i know this is an old post but i really wanted to compliment the coolness of the sparks and spark trails in your photos!

If you spark it, does it get dinged up? ???

Yup. But I heard it’s pretty easily polished on titanium.

It is extremely easy on titanium, especially raw. The scratches almost buff out. The anodized will show the marks quite a bit more and give it the appearance of being beat to heck even though it will feel pretty darn smooth when you run a finger over the “wounds”. I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish on my aluminum and titanium yo-yos. Works like a charm.

Waiting for my blue one to arrive later today. Am excited since its my first expensive throw. Have a chief coming too.

Ooh, you caught the bug, nice purchases, a titanium and a Chief. Hopefully you get a nice number on that Ricochet too. Let us know the number when you get it.

I have #208 Blue

First impressions from a extreme noob are good. Ill give you all an idea of where I’m at in throwing. Finished all intermediate tricks except ripcord last week with a DM 2 using standard bearing. Switched to speed bearing after few hours of frustration with ripcord and have been steadily learning different binds over the past few days. I completed the matrix pretty quickly but not smooth and fast. So that’s where I’m at in level.

I can compare it to the DM 2 and a new chief (just got chief too so…).

The feel of the smaller throw is great for my larger hand. There is something about how it feels in your hand that is indescribable. It’s almost as if its part of your hand, solid, weight is perfect, and overall shape is good. The spin is great and the bearing helps the string stay in the middle. It’s worlds apart from the DM2 and the binds seem more snappy out of the box.

It’s not as loud as the DM2 but louder than the chief. I really like my first impressions of the chief but there is a completely different feeling when throwing it compared to the Ricochet. It’s like the chief feels light and distant in some way where the Ricochet feels like its connected to your hand and heavier but doesn’t play heavy.

Well it’s my first review and only first impressions but for the price I say if you can afford it, buy it! Can’t wait to compare it to other TI throws in the future.

Lol. Accidentally read that as “Works like a chasm.”

You got an awesome number, and I’m glad you are happy with the Ricochet. I am enjoying mine as well. I’m still saving up to get that second one. I’m afraid to mess up number #004. I don’t think I’ll top that number next time, so the next one will be my beater Ricochet. I think it’s a really special yo-yo. Yoyofactory is on fire lately with that H.O.T…I love that thing. That Doomsday Genesis was awesome too. So this was just icing on the cake. :slight_smile:

I couldn’t decide to get the polished Ricochet or the Blue one. So I just got both.

Glad I did. Now that I have them, I gave up trying to decide which color is my favorite.

They even play better than I thought they would. Waaaaaay better. And the finish machine work is Stunning!

… I noticed that the New Superstar is available in a Blue/silver Team Edition. < so just for the fun of it, I got the Ricochets and switched halves to make half Blue, half natural Ti. I don’t always like 2 tones, but the contrast between the two colors is Vivid Eye Candy. Easy to generate a powerful spin with the Ricochet. It is very stable not a ‘floaty’ yoyo, but feels quick and solid on the string, not at all sluggish. Not like a little rock. For the shape, the weight distribution is Excellent. Is not to prone to tilting and the spin is soo strong, it is hard to go out of plane.

Somebody did their Homework on this yoyo. And I would give them an ‘A’ for effort and an ‘A’ for Results.

3 Likes

Great statements, yoyodoc, about a great yo-yo. I’m enjoying the heck out of mine too. Saving up for the second one now. After all, how can you just have one of these things? Let us know what numbers are engraved on those Ricochets. I have a raw #004…love that number.

Mine arrived yesterday :smiley: Blue #67

really liking it, a little smaller than I was expecting but still quite comfy, but I’m wondering how is the blue finish achieved, is it anno/ oxidised or something else?

1 Like

That would be a question for our Forum Guru of all things anodization----------Jason Wong.

I know he stated that Titanium is a completely different process, and with his experience working with Titanium he would be the guy to know.

You could always PM him, if he doesn’t see this post, he would be happy to answer you.

Getting “color” on Ti is more about voltage… You just electrocute the yoyo to a certain voltage to get the color you want… I think… HEHE

You use a “liquid” medium though…

I know that much, I was just more curious if it was essentially a blue Oxide layer, or if it was just a colour, because as much as I like blue either way, if it is simply a naturally blue oxide layer it would just make me all warm and fuzzy inside (and save me ever putting a Ti in a performance car exhaust)

and now for some thoughts it now that I’ve had some time with it:

When I got it I knew I was paying for the Ti over anything else and I was mostly happy to, but I was a little underwhelmed with how it played (it didn’t play like I’d hoped/ thought $200 of yoyo would play), but I have a thing for Titanium so I was fine to put up with good-but-not-great, but over time I’ve gotten used to it, and now I’m really getting the hand of how exactly it plays, 'cause it really does play a little different to anything else I have, and I’ve really come to love it, and how it plays.

every new post in this thread brings me a step closer to buying one

I’m not sure if I should try and convince you more, of if I should try and convince you not to so maybe one day I can buy another one, then I can spark it :stuck_out_tongue:

My plan is to get a silver one to spark, and a blue one to keep in better shape. This thread is pushing me over the edge for sure.