Your vs. You're

Does that effect have an affect on all of this? :hear_no_evil:

3 Likes

So how many of you “unthawed” today?
Did it feel good or was it a bit cold?

1 Like

Oh man, I still have to really think about this one whenever i’m typing something. Sometimes I just change the sentence and avoid the word all together lol.

4 Likes

Then let’s discuss than and then rather than your and you’re?

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: I’m from Texas and I feel like I hear this one a lot.

Also,

Husband:

Honey, bring me a Coke would ya?

Wife:

What kind?

Husband:

Dr. Pepper

<facepalm>

4 Likes

No biggee. Same as Xerox being interchangeable with photocopy. “Get me a Xerox of those invoices.” Did we switch gears from the written word to dialect?

1 Like

Just a quick semi relevant example. We can get this back on track.

1 Like

I think that’s just a regional thing. I’m from Michigan and we call it a “pop”. Other areas say “soda” I think.

3 Likes

I was born in New Jersey and do not drink coffee. I drink kawfee. Sometimes I tawk to people when I drink my kawfee.

3 Likes

I don’t understand it when Americans selectively add the “u” in certain words; favourite, colour, flavour - makes no sense mateys!

I thought you drank cawps of cawfee.

1 Like

That’s a British thing, not American. They love throwing an extra ‘u’ into words.

2 Likes

OK, then…

1 Like

Not an American thing. We dropped the “u”s in 1776.

2 Likes

The version of firefox supplied with Suse linux seems to think those are the correct version, even though as noted it’s a brit thing.

1 Like

Interesting… around the time of independence.

We use ‘U’ in our words here in 'Straya, too.

2 Likes

Yes it’s a British thing but American’s do it - doesn’t make sense - do a search of “favourite” on the forum and I’m sure you’ll find something lol

I think with some specific words (a small percentage of the words British and Aussie people spell differently than I do) remembering how we spell them in the U.S.A. is difficult since we see the other spellings so much (and the other spellings are allowed in auto-correct dictionaries too)

Those are just the Americans that watch too much British TV. Best to ignore them.

2 Likes

In New Jersey everyone just said cups. I think in Boston they say cawps.

1 Like