Your vs. You're

I’ve seen and /sarcasm, but never /s.

(Which probably means I just didn’t notice it, and failed to recognize it as sarcastic…)

I’ve literally broken up with girls for using the wrong one. It’s probably my biggest pet peeve.

3 Likes

It’s indicative of deeper issues. Today it’s your/you’re, tomorrow it’s who knows what?

1 Like

@eternalmetal That’s just one option to denote sarcasm on the internet. It can be useful, since it is difficult to capture the full emotion of someone’s dialogue.

There are other ways, like using emojis, saying “just kidding”, or actually clarifying with words what you actually mean.

Or you can just let an ambiguously abrasive or ignorant comment just hang there without any further clarification.

Is that really the responsibility of someone else interpreting your poorly communicated sarcasm? I see using something like /s as a form of insurance, especially if there is any serious chance of misinterpretation.

1 Like

I’d need a macro to use that.

Lol! I see what you did they’re

4 Likes

I think it is a matter of degrees as well. Sometimes it really should be obvious, and others not so much.

1 Like

That’s a bit overboard, don’t you think? They could easily learn how and when to use the correct form.

Old habits die hard…

Just FYI, “/r” for “rhetorical” would have been more appropriate… :rofl::crazy_face::nerd_face:

2 Likes

Not at all. With the VAST resources available today, there’s no reason someone with “just” a high school diploma can’t properly form a sentence.

Hell, I’ve even seen it used in the OTHER direction. “How much are you going to sell you’re bike for?”

Instant turn-off, no ragrats.

3 Likes

Tomorrow it’s then and than :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Or loser/looser.

2 Likes

Or wind/wind :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Or to/too

And when it comes to throwing, I call it sidestyle and frontstyle and I’m not gonna change!

I usually go old school and use a smiley, or just a period if im being snarky. Having to straight out and say ‘sarcasm’ seems to take away from the comedic affect of using sarcasm imo.

Mr fancy pants silently correcting my grammar, lol :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, people usually pick up on my sarcasm, though I have been misunderstood before. I don’t really take it very seriously, so if people want to use /s just so that they don’t accidentally offend someone, that’s fine with me. I just probably won’t use it myself.

Have to admit that this one bothers me more than just about any other grammatical error I see.

1 Like

I thought I’d give you the benefit of the doubt :wink:

Well, too bad. You have to use it.
/s

1 Like

Woah, that one blew my mind.

If I had more time, I would have misused ‘their’, ‘there’, and ‘they’re’ all in the same sentence in even more ironic fashion, but it was getting late and I had to get to work.

1 Like

I took care of that for you. :wink:

Awe yeah mac lethal! Now “we’re” talking! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like