What yoyo companies produce the highest quality yoyos? (In your opinion)

https://i.imgflip.com/g262z.jpg[url=Meme Generator - Imgflip]

2 Likes

YYR.

This is completely subjective. It’s like asking car fanatics what’s the best $200,000+ sports car. What this needs is people whom have tried many high end throws. My opinion, along with many others, is really irrelevant.

I get what Geezer is saying, but he does have a way of saying things that rub people the wrong way. There is something that is very Japanese about the machined finish on the YYR throws among others, but I wouldn’t say that it reflects superior attention to detail. To me, it is like the way that boutique Japanese companies manufacture Americana clothing, with the runoff chain stitching left attached to repro work shirts for example. It’s left there as a beauty mark of sorts, and it is actually the way they were made here years ago. Does the extra thread mean that the shirt is more durable than any other shirt? Not necessarily (material excluded). Ive had a couple adult beverages and I’m not sure where I was originally going with this post but I figure at this point I’ll share anyway

We us Mitsubishi made finishing tools with PCD inserts that are custom made in Israel just for us. That’s gotta count for something.

That was yours truly:

Gives a better view of the machining ridges in question on my YYR Gleipnir as well, for reference.

Now to the topic at hand:

[Wall of text alert. Skip to the bottom for Cliffs if you feel so inclined.]

If I had a nickel for every time I agreed with Greg… I have no idea how much money I’d have since I don’t understand American currency.

I think that first you have to define the criteria for what makes a yoyo ‘high quality’. Since the yoyo is a fairly simple device by design there isn’t much you can judge one on quality-wise other than:

1. Smoothness
  2. Machining quality (in terms of machining precision, bearing seats, and the like)

So let us talk about Yoyorecreation. Sure, they make some of the finest no-nonsense competition yoyos around, and I’m of the firm belief that the Draupnir and Sleipnir are two of the finest yoyos ever created. However I’ve been hard pressed to find a DEAD smooth YYR. I’m not saying that they’re vibey, most of them are plenty smooth, but it seems to vary across models. My Sleipnir is as silky as a nun’s nightgown, whereas both my Draupnir’s have a little bit of that viiibe to them, as does my Triplet (not much, but it’s there). I’ve also heard reports of Dazzlers with sharp machining marks in the center of the cup, something that should have been noticed and fixed during quality control if they were that fussed about it.

Heck, Yoyorecreation have admitted themselves in the past that their focus is on performance over quality, which seems to be my experience of them so far. Great quality by any standard, but not the best I’ve ever tried.

Onedrop then? Like YYR, I also have Onedrops that aren’t nuns-nighty smooth. The biggest thing I feel is in Onedrop’s favour is the precision of their machining, and I feel this is most noticeable in their bearing seats.

“Oh here we go, Gambit’s going off on one about Onedrop’s foam cubes bearing seats again…”

Darn tootin’ I am. Onedrop are, from my experience, the only company that have managed to get a consistently smooth throw whilst keeping the bearing seats loose enough that the bearing can be removed by hand (or in the case of my Valor, leap out of the yoyo the second I open it). I know the reason other companies have their seats so tight is to minimise vibe, so the fact that Onedrop are able to have smooth yoyos with comfortably-tight bearing seats is a real testament to their machining precision. The fact that they’re even able to introduce even more variables with Side Effects and still keep a throw smooth is even further evidence of this. #nosuckup

Also they have Paul Dang. I wish this didn’t count, but the man just screams “quality”.

Most high-end yoyo companies today are trying to make a living. The way they do this is by releasing a decent amount of high-quality throws into the market. Now if a company got out their tuning forks and measured each throw, discarding all the one’s that weren’t DEAD smooth (I’m talking walk the dog on a pane of glass and it makes no sound smooth), then they’d be turning away a lot of good product and losing money needlessly. Therefore, whilst it bodes well to these companies to be very strict with their quality control, they have no need to be quite so pedantic as a companies that focus on small, higher quality runs. Which brings me onto…

General-Yo. I picked up a b-grade Amplitude from Nats, and the thing is still smoother than most of my other throws. I remember my Majesty genuinely surprising me at how smooth it was when I first threw it, something I’ve rarely experienced since.

I think the fact that Ernie puts out such small runs, and puts so much quality control into them that he separates what most people would just bundle together as “A grade” into Comp/A/BA classifications, shows his dedication to making a quality product. General-Yo has been renowned for it’s smoothness and build quality for a long time, and for very good reason.

So for me, it comes down to a toss-up between the smoothness and OCD-esc attention to detail of General-Yo .vs. the precision and build quality of Onedrop.

Due to the sheer tenacity with which Ernie scrutinises his product, I’m going to give him the win.

Disclaimer: It’s all my opinion. Also I’ve never tried and Oxygene or Turning Point.

TL;DR

• YYR’s are great yoyos, but they aren’t all dead smooth.

• Onedrop’s smoothness without overly-tight bearing seats show their machining precision over other companies, even if they aren’t all dead smooth.

• General-Yo’s quality control is second to none and their throws are the consistently smoothest I’ve thrown.

• General-Yo gets my vote.

• I wonder if those foam cubes come pre-cut or if Onedrop machine them in-house…

4 Likes

Finally, someone says General-Yo… seriously, about time.

Turning Point, followed closely by Yoyoempire (yes, there s a reason almost half of China’s smaller brands are machined by them
None of the clyws i v seen is dead smooth

So you’ve never seen the: Cliff, chief, puffin, puffin 2, chief, orca, AC1, Ac2, Gnarwhal 1, gnarwhal 2(better then 1)… the list goes on but I’ll stop there.

Edit: I said chief twice cause yes it is that good.

All of those usually have small amounts of vibe. It’s very hard to detect, but with the fingernail test against a strong throw it’s definitely there.

There HAVE been a couple CLYW’s that I’ve thrown which were dead smooth, but it’s rare.

I have all of those save the orca and the AC2 and they all passed the fingernail test when I took them out the box. Now maybe not so much aside the puffin 2. Maybe i’ve just got the luck of the CLYW??..

Check my first post on this thread. We’re pretty much on the same page :wink:

1 Like

So where do you think some of the more recent Gen Yo were machined? :wink: I don’t know about their whole history of machining, but in recent memory…

you guys can all argue about what the best machined yoyo is.

Some people will scream and holler about clyw and it just goes to show how limited their world is.
Some people will scream and holler about yyr which is okay, but yyr still has its issues.
Some people will scream and holler about genyo which from what i have heard they are pretty darn impressive, but still they have issues.
Some people will scream and holler about anything, but in reality no matter how well they machine a yoyo there will be one in every batch that has vibe.

Get real people you are throwing a hunk of metal that you want to be perfect in an imperfect world. It may not have vibe, but rest assured if you hit it on the ground it may very well contract a case of the jitters. On that hand i have had a yoyo that was vibey till i hit it on the ground then it played smoother, but thats a rare occurrence.

So this whole argument between clyw fanboys and the rest of the intelligent world is bogus… unless you had a yoyo fall from heaven everything you buy will have some kind of vibe.

Believe it or not, vibe isn’t necessarily the only indicator of quality.

its seems thats what this thread is arguing about…

believe It or not just cause you like CLYW the most doesn’t mean you have a limited knowledge of yoyos it’s just what I enjoy the most I have tried many yoyos probably more then you have seeing as you haven’t even tried a Gen-yo.

Edit: I even said TP was best machining quality earlier and yet I still love CLYW. people who don’t like a yoyo because all the hype are just the same as those who do like a yoyo cause all the hype. You are letting the hype of something effect your decision wether good or bad. I say try all the yoyos you can buy the ones you like trade the ones you don’t and don’t let some ones opinions affect what you throw.

A better test for vibe is to throw a strong sleeper. Then hold the yoyo in front of your TV screen. View it against the screen. Even if you can’t feel it, the strobe effect of the screen will show it proving that there are no truly smooth yoyos. So now you guys all have something else to fret about. :wink:

1 Like

2 Likes

you made gambits day a little brighter…

1 Like