What yoyo companies produce the highest quality yoyos? (In your opinion)

One drop
Murcia…

OD

I’d have to say onedrop as well. they have really good craftsmanship, quality, look, and feel. and most of all, they are American made yoyos. :slight_smile:

From what I’ve played, general yo. Their b-grades are better than most companies a-grades. The quality control is insane.

USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!

I would have to say One Drop and CLYW. I think OD does the machining for CLYW, can anyone confirm?

For the majority of their newer throws, yes.

Great thoughts. I agree with your summation of Japanese machinists. They do all seem to take their craft seriously. One of the best descriptions of the Japanese machining can be found in ratfacedguy’s “Handy Dandy Guide to YYR Authentication”:

ratfacedudeguy's Handy-Dandy Guide to YYR Authentication - Buy / Sell / Trade - YoYoExpert Forums

His description of the machining marks in the yo-yo is spot-on. The Japanese machine to such tolerances, that they leave the machining marks on the yo-yo. Most people do not notice because they are all perfectly uniform and equal. They assume they have been polished with some sort of grooved finisher. No; those are the CNC machine marks. Each one is perfectly the same as the one before it, just a bit larger/smaller and offset just a bit out/in.

Ever seen a Japanese throw that was finished in a vibrating polisher (Pyramatte)? You do not need to polish perfect stuff in a ceramic medium for hours to make it look smooth. Why OneDrop does this is anyone’s guess. But until they have non polished yo-yo’s that show the machining (not the novel milling on the Project) we will not know how nice the original CNC work was. All the machine marks have been polished away; so we can only guess.

Let me be very clear. I am not comparing any aspect of the play of a OneDrop compared to a YYR in terms of yo-yo quality on the string. Both are nice and smooth with very little, if any, vibe in my experience. I am only comparing the obsessive perfection of the Japanese machinists compared to most of the rest of the world.

Anything that isnt mass production made in china

c3,yyr,yyo; they have two things in common… they’re top notch manufacturing and top notch asian. Yoyo racism ?..

japanese machinists are obsessive of matching usa machinist’s skills.

You have it backwards as usual. Tumbling is not about “hiding” anything. It is actually a quality choice. It accomplishes a few things:

1. A better surface for grinding as requested by players (a slightly textured surface is good for grinding - not a perfectly smooth one as they are when they come out of the machine).
  2. Surface preparation for anodizing (as recommended by any good anodizer) - this is a standard thing to do.

Also, generalize much? You can speak for all machinists in all countries? You’re funny.

2 Likes

machining marks? lol
most non blasted <$40 Chinese made throws also have them. My Accelerator, L5, and all the Yoyomiracles do. I believe that some Auldeys and even magicyoyos also do.
meanwhile Fireal is polished
wat
ok

I missed that one…

While I prefer a blast to pyramatte, you’d have to be some kinda ign’ant to think of pyramatte as anything but an intentional process. I only knew that it made a decent grinding surface; admittedly I didn’t know about the ano prep. But even just as a grind surface it’s obviously intentional.

Regarding the CNC lathing marks, they’re not a mystical or exclusive sign of perfection. They’re an artifact of a particular process decision. I don’t know enough about CNC to speak incredibly intelligently on the subject, but I know I have lovely “perfect” lathing artifacts on MFD yoyos, C3 yoyos (including the budget-level Capless), and Foxland-machined yoyos as well. It’s not like a human is painstakingly watching to ensure “perfection”, and such artifacts are not exclusive to Japanese machinists.

If I was a guessing man (and I am), I would totally guess that a fairly small tool is used on the final pass and that it’s a tight spiral rather than a series of cocentric grooves. Wish I had a YYR in hand to test. :wink:

onedrop to anyone how says clyw onedrop machines there stuff too

From my experience, which is not too high, i prefer CLYW. YYJ yoyo’s have gave me issues. I still have much to experiment with.

Regrading the machining marks, they might not be visible with the naked eye, but under magnification they are still visible with the pyramatte finish if you are so inclined. I believe someone posted some of these images a while back.

agreed

Correct. They are an artifact of machining itself :slight_smile: It’s cutting metal - not nano replication. That’s why there are other finishing processes because a piece of machined aluminum is not finished. Machining is part of a larger process.

Geezer seems to by implying that an artifact found on any piece of machined aluminum is somehow proof of how serious the machining was taken? Absurd.

Also, I suppose he would say that bead blasting is an even larger “cover up”? I can’t believe we are actually having this discussion.

Back to the original point. It is my opinion that quality is the sum of ALL the things that go into a product. And for yoyos, there are a lot of things that go into them.

6 Likes

https://i.imgflip.com/g259f.jpg

2 Likes