What string are you using?

Thanks for the reply.
I have been wanting to try the project:44 string for a while now.
I may buy it as my next string when I’m done with my current string.
@MarioMaker17

Cost-effectiveness of strings is important because we use them every day.
I didn’t know there was an Ace Yo string.
I think a cheaper string might be better (because it’s easier to use) except for competition practice.
I will also consider it for daily use.
And your recognition is very good.

2 Likes

Learning tricks is part of the fun of yo-yoing. I have been watching a lot of tutorials lately too.
@captrogers
It’s true that once you have a family, the day goes by so fast.
I’d love to make a string someday too.

2 Likes

I also exclusively use my own homemade silk strings. I wanted lefty twisted strings and it all snowballed. I have 6000 yards of thread coming in tuesday because ran out and I think I’m close to having something sellable.

3 Likes

I will caveat this with saying there are a lot of strings I like “better” but production volume and “scarcity” leave me to focus on Kitty String First Class Fat as my main string.

Easy to find, good on whips and slacks, and overall good feeling.

Someone compared it to McDonalds. You always know what you are going to get and it’s everywhere/easy to get.

OTS Fat, G2 Diamond Blend, Plutonium, and Sochi are all really really great. But sometimes hard to find or expensive. Plutonium is a really close behind kitty.

All in all I have like 3 bags of FC Kitty fat I burn through and it will probably be my main string forever based on the above. And I’m not putting it down in any way, it’s good string

5 Likes

I have only used sochi fat and mir kim signature, but sochi flies well.
I use it a lot too.
I would like to try ALPHA LINE too!
@LeftyThrower24

kitty string is good because it’s easy to get.
And soft.
I heard that string lab is also easy to use, so I want to try it.
@Benthrowsyoyo @theendofcake @Oroboryo @Mooky
I didn’t know hot pink was so easy to use. I’d like to try it next time.

3 Likes

Been mostly using OT for bulk string but I use ZipLine prestige and EP 20/20 on the regular too. Also HKMt arata string is growin on me. And for fun chill sessions I’ll use nylon strings from A&A, string werx, and badwolfeco and airetic but I use the last two rarely cuz they precious :+1:

1 Like

For 1a, I like markmont night moves or markmont cumulus foam because I like how fast and consistently they fly, even if I’m lazy about checking the string torsion. The loops also stay open exceptionally well for suicides and that’s important to me, so I prefer the well performing but expensive string. They are both rough string on the hands but play so well that it’s worth it. For other styles where I don’t need the string to fly, I’ll use any bulk string.

The next time I decide to buy string, I would like to try the hkmt Arata string because they sell it on the ostrich trick store and I really like those players, Yuta Kashiwaya and Yuma Watanabe.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.
It’s important to use different strings for different playing styles.
I also love Yuta Kashiwaya and Yuma Watanabe. I am especially impressed with Yuta Kashiwaya’s 2020 JN freestyle, which I still watch today.
HKMT is expensive, but it is a good string for the price. (I bought a Toru string and an Ayumu string and I am very satisfied with the quality of both.) @faceplant Sorry for the delay in responding.
I think it is great to use a string that matches the yo-yo gap.

I bought a bunch of different types of strings to see what felt best to me. Of all that I tried, I find myself using these 3 the most: HKMT Arata, YYSL Type X, and Kitty FC Fat. I like the Arata best on a yoyo with a more narrow gap, and I think my favorite for everything else is the Type X. I really like the texture and the thickness, and it seems to do everything well (for my skill level anyhow). And as a bonus, it has an awesome variety of color options. The Kitty Fat is great bang for the buck.

I’m not very skilled and haven’t been doing this very long yet, so maybe take my opinion with a grain of salt. I feel like my tastes are still evolving, but the 3 above had been constants now while others were more on and off for me.

2 Likes

OT Fat and Sochi Fat are both great, I gravitate more towards OT now. Alphaline is also very good, and I can recommend all the zipline strings, they’re awesome. I put ziplines on all my “for-fun” throws, and generally stick to OT fat for my more competitive throws.

2 Likes

For my lighter, responsives, I use Kitty fat (Hot pink of course). It’s consistent and relatively cheep so I like having it for my pocket yos. imo it feels like the perfect, basic string. I buy it in bulk and throw to town!

For heavier, unresponsive, I cant recommend YYSL Venom enough. It feels as thick as kitty fat and plays similar but its a little more slick to the touch. Once they’re broken in they play SO smoothly, the way they glide across my fingers I feel like I can focus on the feel of the yoyos movement. Whips, slacks, suicides, all happen pretty easily as the torsion holds shape well for a good amount of play. I’ve had them last for months so they’re worth the little extra. They come in dope colors so I buy a different ten pack every once in a while to keep it fresh.

3 Likes

I’m using kitty xl and some Zipline I’ve stocked up over some months. Kitty because it’s kitty and I like having bulk. Zipline because they last forever and look sweet.

4 Likes

Unpopular opinion: I love OneDrop poly.
Specifically the kind they have been selling in the past year or two

2 Likes

anybody got good string for sweaty hands? :rofl:

3 Likes

I have been using 100% nylon for about 6 years now. It started with spoolthreadco and I switched to Airetic when they closed up shop. I really like nylon because it’s so soft and it has the right weight for throwing it around and the icing is it’s virtually indestructible and washable so I have enough for years.

4 Likes

Kitty normal is best for me
and I also like takeshi string V2.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t think I’m saving any cost, this thread is way thinner than before. It took me 25 wraps to get something similar to an 8 wrap of gutermann. However I think this might be my best result yet. Good for whips and slacks, not that soft since I twisted it really tight, but it may soften over time. Maybe I will also try a less aggressive twist as well. It’s much more premium feeling, and I love how it shines in the sun.

9 Likes

I like fat poly, preferably yellow or white. I’m currently going through some 100-packs of C3 Pro String and OG Kitty Fat. Kitty seems a little thinner so I use that on thinner gapped yoyos and use the C3 for pretty much everything else. I also have some Zipline and @BadWolfeCo strings that I save for when I’m feeling a little fancy.

3 Likes