🧵 Strings 🧵

What strings does everyone use?
Why do you use this string as compared to other strings/what makes that string stand out to you?

7 Likes

I use bulk cotton and 50/50 cotton/poly. Parts is parts…

4 Likes

I love the feel of pure nylon or mostly nylon (e.g. BadWolfCo slicc or something from another boutique maker here like @dust or @Legit_yoyostrings or Zipline), but most of the time I just use a soft poly bulk string like Kitty, OT or the similar other brands. I feel like tension management, accuracy and/or skills generally need to be higher with nylon to avoid frequent axle knots.

9 Likes

I’ve always enjoyed BadWolfCo Slicc’s, Markmonts dracon, dragon, nightmoves and BigBangBandalores string theory because they remind me of a super old yoyo string that isn’t sold in the U.S. anymore called Angel Hair.

It’s wonderful because it’ll last you years after you’ve finally managed to break it in.
It’s probably the toughest string that I’ve ever used and took long to get used to because of said break in period. sometimes it can either become hard to keep on your throw hand because it’s so wirey in the beginning that it just doesn’t want to tighten, and when finally broken it, it can accidentally garrote your finger.

It’s slippery for the yoyo, I can zoom that thing back and forth while doing a trapeze and not have it bind or accidentally catch for me even after multiple wraps.

You can whip it around without ever having to worry about it getting overly twisted or needing to constantly un or retwist to get a slack string.

The colors are bright and vibrant too.

8 Likes

I have mostly been using @BadWolfeCo slicc (nylon) in goldilocks thickness. I’ve grown to prefer smoother-feeling string.

4 Likes

I have been summoned lol. Thanks for the mentions, fellas.

It shouldn’t be surprising that I mainly use my own string. After all, I make it myself so I can make exactly what I want to suit each yoyo specifically. I mainly use my poly/nylon Plushh blend on probably about 75% of my yoyos, and pure nylon Slicc on most of the rest.

That said, I actually do enjoy using other strings once in a while. On fixed-axle wooden yoyos I use Zeekio cotton string or Zipline kot-n. I also have some Zipline poly/nylon blend and some Airetics @Roy_Dodge gave me a while back. Those are probably worth their weight in gold these days, since Airetic never opened back up.

It’s kind of weird as a string maker, I like trying different things but I also never want to be seen as copying anyone else’s products. So I tend to use my own string mostly, in part because it’s tailored to my own preferences but also because it guarantees I’m not accidentally copying someone else’s colorways or anything like that.

12 Likes

Homemade. I’ve been on a core thread kick lateley. Core threads are usually tougher and whipier. Then again a little serger poly is nice, some stuff like wooly nylon is good to merge with other threads.

4 Likes

I use a bunch of different ziplines and badwolfeco strings in a wide variety of colors and blends my girlfriend likes to match them up by color and I feel better if she’s engaged haha, have some alphaline for my bulk and haven’t met a string I didn’t like from the bunch!!! while we are on the subject of string does anyone have methods they like to use to clean their boutique strings?

5 Likes

Yall already know know what im bout to say!
Legitstrings from etsy. The perfect amount whip and tension and nice color yellow from a community player. They also last extremely long if you wash and inbetween washing. I still have and use my first string, i think ive only tossed like 1 or 2 in a year.
He also makes nylon on special request and i like it more than the airetics ive tried… wait wait hear me out… better yet try them out. They are different in a… different way… more tightly wound and hold triangles open more than others ive tried. But badwolfe is pluuuuush if you like something softer feeling. I really like his (i forget the name) dummy thicc i believe…
I also really like markmont strings sometimes if im in a poly mood.

6 Likes

I use YYF Plutonium right now, it’s a nice all-rounder and comes in some sweeeeet colors.

The finest string I’ve ever used is from A&A strings, it’s slick and whippy and feels super premium. I’ll likely be getting a subscription to them eventually, but the demo string I have right now refuses to wear out.

Ivan

4 Likes

Just like @BadWolfeCo I almost exclusively use my own strings, usually ones that I screw up ever so slightly so they don’t go to waste. Got into yoyo-ing a bit over a year ago and found pretty quickly that I really disliked bulk string. Started making my own for a fun weekend project and then it got kinda out of hand haha I made a decision pretty early on to NOT use and try to avoid the socials/websites of great string makers like Bad Wolfe, Zipline, Legit, String Lab etc in an effort to not copy their strings. We’re trying to release 4 unique colorways each month, so I hope we don’t copy others, which is why I try and avoid seeing what others are making.

Thanks for the kind words @craZivn ! If the subscription sounds cool to you, please sign up! If you don’t want strings each month we don’t mind if people cancel/resubscribe. If people are interested, we could introduce a bi-monthly option. We really want the subscription thing to catch on, but also understand if that’s not for everyone so we’ll be launching one-time purchase custom strings sometime in the next couple of months.

7 Likes

Guess I’m the outlier here. Everyone is talking about boutique strings but I use regular ol’ bulk string, albeit the more expensive kind, Zipline Alphaline.

I found it softer than most other bulk strings of similar thickness, like Sochi Normals, Kitty Normals, Kitty 1st Class Normals, all YYSL strings except AMMO and Original Throw Normals, which is why I use them. Hopefully I’ll be able to find something softer because the string is uses oil to make it slide across your fingers and is kinda rough when the oil is gone.

4 Likes

I use all the strings. Love to try everything. Every time I order a yo-yo I get a couple random bags of string. I do hate when a string won’t tighten on your finger. I’ve even got some old stock of toxic strings, twisted strings (before it was sold) and some epics.

2 Likes

My main strings are Kitty first class and Monkey Finger Vines, but occasionally I use Alphaline. Alphaline is much thicker than the other two, which is why I don’t use it as often.

2 Likes

My current favorites are Bad Wolfe which I had a couple of…but shipping from the states is so high that I’m kind of balking buying more.

And currently Lathed Back thick strings which I got a pack of with my last order from them.

Looking forward to giving the Markmont ones that are on their way a whirl.

5 Likes

Majority of my strings are Kitty XL first class. An equal amount of kitty fat. I’m trying some bulk Zipline Alphaline. As for my higher end throws, I either use the first class or whatever boutique strings I pick up little by little. It’s just nice to dress the throws up every so often. Currently a couple of packs of Ziplines and a couple of A&A Strings I have on deck for my Ari. Might have to put the A&A on today for our server rebuilds. Seems special enough.

5 Likes

I use Kitty Normal for looping and YoYoStringLab Plutonium for all that other stuff. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’m still relatively new to throwing, but I’ve been obsessed with it for over a year now. I’ve tried all kinds of strings including Rain City Skills Sochi thin, Kitty (fat, normal, nylon, 1.5), Sochi, Zipline X Sochi Alpha Line, Project 44 (slim 10, standard 11, mega 4.0), Monkey Vines phat, Zeekio (poly, nylon), Twisted Strings, Snakebite, hkmt (Toru, Arata), Yoyo String Lab (Type X, Ammo, Venom, Plutonium, Nytro), Bad Wolfe (Plushh, Slicc), and Zipline (Executive Class Lite, Smoothie Edition).

I used to always use the string that came with the yoyo thinking that the manufacturer selected the best matching string for the yoyo’s response pads and gap. But lately, I’ve gotten so spoiled by some really nice strings so I’ll often pass on the original and use a custom string that I think I’ll like better. Especially now that I’ve decided that I have a distinct preference for either straight-up nylon or at least a nylon/poly blend, as a lot of the strings that are packaged with the yoyos are 100% polyester. I like nylon because it’s super soft and comfortable, it seems to be more forgiving when it comes to string tension, it lasts a LOT longer, it’s easy to remove knots from, it’s a little bit bouncier, and it can make an audible SNAP in a good bind.

The first strings that really struck a chord with me were Bad Wolfe Plushh and
YYSL Nytro. I later realized that the reason those were my favorites was that they were a blend with some nylon in them. After that, I tried the Bad Wolfe Slicc and it was love at first throw! The nylon can be a little slippery, especially around my throw finger, but I haven’t had any problems with the string slipping off. I can’t say enough good things about the Bad Wolfe strings, and I still get both the Plushh and Sliccs as they’re both great and sometimes one seems to “fit” better with a particular throw. And to top it all off, the colorways are amazing - both from the standpoint of sheer numbers available as well as the combinations that really come together nicely for some outstanding colorways. It’s also nice to be able to get the strings in different thicknesses, as it’s much easier to find the perfect match of string for a particular throw. I love the Bad Wolfe strings so much, that I swear each time I pull a new one out it feels like it’s my birthday and i just got myself a present :grinning:

I recently ordered a few different Zipline strings, both nylon and nylon blends, and while I haven’t tried all of them yet I’ve been very impressed by the ones that I have tried. The Executive Class lite is exactly the kind of string that I was hoping for when I ordered them. I can easily see myself getting some more of these in the future.

I’ve got more strings than what’s shown here, as I’m still trying to figure out the best way to organize everything. But the ones that I use the most are hung on the wall and I recently got in a new batch of Bad Wolfe and Zipline strings that I have to find a place for.

My most commonly-used strings:

18 Likes

That is a beautiful collection.

2 Likes

I agree with you about @BadWolfeCo sliccs (I prefer goldilocks thickness). I need to unload half my yoyos because I find them blah but when I put on a bad wolfe co string the yoyo magically becomes interesting to me again so… I always rub pure bees wax on the sliccs on about the first two inches below the finger loop and have no slipping.

6 Likes