What’s the best string brand?

I wanted to ask cause I truly don’t know. I like fat and soft strings since they work the best with snow tires. But by who and which line? Please help

4 Likes

I really don’t think there is an overall best. The better question may be what string matches up best with your specific yoyo? For that answer you have to tell us exactly which yoyo you have. Then people can give you suggestions.

4 Likes

Akita

i like yoyo string lab, and the type x is whatbi’ve used… but i’m
curious what they have coming out.

i’ve also been digging mfd vines a lot lately

7 Likes

What is the best music? What is the best video game? I understand the inquiry. I have strings by about 6 different companies and each company has strings I really love as well as some strings that are not a good match for me at this time but may be awesome later. I thought I figured out the perfect string for a certain yoyo but became bored with the yoyo until I put on a string by a different company and WOW! that string breathed new life into the yoyo and that yoyo excited me again. Most companies have affordable sampler packs. This is a good way to explore.

3 Likes

Thanks for the help. I’ve always just used what string came with the yoyo. But I’ll start getting some sampler packs

2 Likes

They say the best camera is the one you carry with you. In that mind, the best string may be the one that is in stock. It truly seems like whenever I want to try something specific it is sold out. I have bought a variety of strings, including multi-packs to try a variety. To be honest, at my beginner level choosing the right thickness seems more important than what brand I get.

8 Likes

Kitty string is the best

3 Likes

I like arata and toru

4 Likes

I’d recommend trying Airetic, Zipline, and Sochi

9 Likes

I will say that Kitty String fat is the standard that others are measured by. Not saying it is the best. It is the standard. Grab a 10 pack. Prices are reasonable. Then if you want to start reaching out for something better or different, try a variety pack such as the Yo-Yo String Lab sampler pack. Start noticing the effects of different weights, materials and thicknesses. The search for the best string for your yoyo can be long, but Kitty String fast is always as good starting point. One difference you will notice is that some brands last a lot longer than Kitty String.

3 Likes

Kitty fat has been my go-to for awhile but I am taking a break from it for awhile just to give my yoyos a different feel. Kitty coming in boxes of 100 for $20 and less makes me not care about how long they last. I’ve been using @BadWolfeCo lately for a change of pace / feel. Those strings freshen up my throwing experience.

4 Likes

Markmont for poly, zipline or twisted stringz for cotton blends depending on budget, airetic for nylon.

Markmont strings have a very long shelf life for me, you can just wash em, they have a nice density to em to make em easy for whipping about and landing hooks.

Zipline has blends that are very consistent for their form, so throwing loops on suicides will make the loop it forms predictable. They don’t last very long though, I get fraying after about a month of moderate play.

Airetic is HELLA soft. Feels so lush. A bit like poly in that it whips around satisfyingly but with less speed, a bit more bouncy, and maintains string tension very well. I like it with my floaty stuff. Lasts super long if you dont accidentally fray it from picking apart knots.

I second @RABid in that getting the thickness right for you and the throw youre using is more important than string if youre just starting out(like using thin string/thick if you have a small gap/wide gap respectively). A string I really like on one throw will feel like arse on another.

Play around with it and find what works in your usecase, and then once you have more of a certain playstyle figured out–whether youre speedy and techy or trying for more flowy/showy movements–and then narrow in on what material helps you achieve that play. It wasn’t until I was getting into hooks and rejections that I really started noticing differences in the material and how it correlated to playstyle :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well the string brands I looked at are sold out. Anyone wanna sell some ZipLine or airetic?

Def going with the plutonium strings I tried them out with a ten pack, (Which u should prob do) then moved to the 50. I am totally committed and I feel the lemon lime or the yellow play the best. It’s weird. They are really good and a perfect size. I use them on both of my CLYWs. It works better on the BOY because the gap width is slightly bigger than the b grade kodiak.

3 Likes

You want MF 65, its the Gateway string to the goods

As for the most underrated Bulk String, I have to mention Duncan Yellows

2 Likes

You could try Venom on your Akita, you will like it.

3 Likes

I’m partial to G string if you can get it.

3 Likes

PM me if you want and I’ll hook you up.

3 Likes

I’m a little biased, but I make my strings to order so I’m never sold out :wink:

7 Likes