What other hobbies/activities do you guys do?

We have a few Great Lakes here in Knoxville tn

1 Like

Craft beers and fine cigars. Sure your thinking that’s everyone’s hobby. I’m meticulous about the serving temperature, proper glass, proper pour, pairing etc. I don’t get drunk (I do feel it) I really like the ritual and process and also like to impress my guests by showing them how it should be done. Same with my cigars. I’m on top of my humidor weekly to make sure it’s at the right level, almost 100% Cubans with a few super fine Brazilians. I keep track of how long each cigar has been in the box and only smoke what’s been mellowing for at least 4 years in my possession, I try to make sure I won’t be interrupted or fall asleep. I also enjoy 18yr Macallan with my smokes.

10 Likes

Opus x that is all…

2 Likes

image image image Fishing. Photography. Knifes smithing/ restoring. Wood turning. Golf. Guitar. Working on my truck and my brothers 89 Miata. Bmx (don’t do that much anymore but still throw Down now and then) firearms. Pistol modifications. Collecting and smoking tobacco pipes. Basically I’m never board or inside lol. I have to say though, the Yoyo has become one of my favorites and most frequent hobbies. They’re easy to Cary around and use anywhere. Challenging enough to keep me entertained . And the slightest amount of danger to keep things interesting. Also, relatively affordable!

9 Likes

Gotta love a fine cigar with some scotch! I’ve been enjoying the dalmore cigar bland lately.

2 Likes

Since I picked up the banjo again, it’s been consuming time, so I’m yo-yoing and playing my button accordion less. There’s only so much time in a day, we have to choose.

@Gnome Bluegrass? There is so much on the web now to learn from. When I started, I had an Earl Scruggs book with the record, that’s how long ago it was. The other book was the Pete Wernick one.

If for some reason someone finds the banjo their thing (it is an exciting instrument at times)
http://littlerockbanjo.com/

Really gives a lot for nothing in return. Bill is a good teacher.

I haven’t lost interest in yo-yoing, just playing, not “practicing.”

4 Likes

These banjo tutorials are great Steve! I’d bet @DocPop has some good banjo resources too! And yes to Blugrass Steve; I first saw Bella Fleck play when I was like 5, but I was raised on David Grisman since my pops plays Mandolin!

1 Like

That old hog splitter is beautiful. I like to restore straight razors. Some good looking stuff man!

4 Likes

Man I’ve dabbled with straight razors, but never could quite get them right! Plus I don’t really have that much facial hair to use them on lol. Thanks btw it was quite the flea market find for me. Definitely one of the most challenging restorations I’ve done

2 Likes
2 Likes

I always preferred clawhammer style banjo.

4 Likes

The yoyo community is so refreshingly diverse. I think our hobby appeals to people who like to pursue unconventional interests coupled with a willingness/perseverence to practice. Great stuff in this thread!

7 Likes

I enjoy reading and also building and making things i’d like to be an engineer

3 Likes

I definitely count reading as a hobby, because we are actively engaged in the process. There are many bright and diverse individuals in this forum, it is a pleasure to communicate.

2 Likes

Clawhammer is more “pure” in some respects, and certainly more historical. I try to incorporate it while wearing the picks for variety. BTW, the boy in the picture was not playing, the Deliverance soundtrack was by Marshall Brickman and Eric Weisberg, urban individuals.

3 Likes

Literally all I got is yoyoing :joy: I suck at everything else or get super interested and then don’t care a month later, so the only thing I have for fun is yoyo. Should just about prove how important the hobby is to me.

6 Likes

I dabbled with claw hammer a while back, and after my kids get a little older I will probably return to it. It’s a lot trickier than it looks.

I don’t mind listening to Bluegrass, but I don’t really enjoy playing it.

2 Likes

Just a bunch of super entertaining, challenging, and sometimes expensive rabbit holes!! You aren’t kidding though, lots of interesting hobbies here!

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever heard that. Sounds a bit like a sitar.

3 Likes

Here’s a more contemporary example.

And an older example.

3 Likes