What is your biggest yoyo pet peeve?

The music in like 90% of yoyo videos. i know this is an opinion thing but dang some of the music seems like such an after thought. or its an EDM song that doesn’t go with the visuals of the video

6 Likes

huhhh

2 Likes

I love all styles of yoyoing from 1A to 5A and it makes me sad how just one playstyle is completely dominating the community.

4 Likes

It’s funny. When I first started, I thought to myself “I don’t think I’ll ever be interested in these ‘bind return’ yoyos everyone seems so keen on, I really just enjoy doing these responsive tricks.”

Then a couple months later I bought an unresponsive yoyo and I thought “It’s going to be a long time before I get into 5a, that’s just crazy. I barely know how to do Kwijibo.”

Then I got a Daytripper, and I still every once in a while think “I’m probably not ever going to get into 2a.”

But a few months ago I read @BryanF say something about how he thinks everyone should try multiple styles of yoyoing and skill toys, because the skills can feed into each other, and I thought to myself “I should get a 4a yoyo.” So at this point, I think it’s inevitable I’ll get some loopers. But 3a? Never happening! :wink:

12 Likes

People that say they’re going to ship on a day. Then ghost you for two weeks, then refund you with a stupid message in PayPal telling you to go screw yourself. Love it.

5 Likes

When I see a picture of a prototype but can’t play with it yet.

6 Likes

Nobody is doing proper Eli Hops anymore :frowning:

2 Likes

Orbital gtx is one of my favorites

2 Likes

It plays a bit different, for sure. plays on the lighter side. Taking mine out of the case tonight, been neglected.

1 Like

What is a proper Eli hop? How are people doing differently?

2 Likes

I think I’ve actually noticed it too. I’m pretty sure to do a traditional eli hop, you bring your hands all the way together and they should be basically touching during the hop. It feels kind of rare to see people do them like that now, but honestly that “proper” method looks a lot better.

I guess as a side note you also see people doing a lot more eli hops where the yoyo goes straight up instead of out to the side. That’s probably a bit of a byproduct of people learning the trick on unresponsives now, so they don’t have to learn them in the old style way that makes it so there’s no slack for the yoyo to respond with during the hop.

9 Likes

Pretty much what mable said. Shoot the yo-yo up as high as you can, while you raise your hands, until your hands touch.

Many people nowadays just pop the yo-yo up and as soon it left the string, they immediately jerk it back. Not only looks it awkward most the time, but they’re also missing a lot of fun.

4 Likes

I started doing the “proper” Hops by accident when I realized it was easier to keep my hands aligned if I touched them together while the yoyo was up.

Ivan

3 Likes

I’ve always had a hard time getting the hops to go way out to the side. Any tips?

4 Likes

Instead of just creating tension in the string between your two hands to pop the yoyo up, your NTH index should just be pushing out and away from you to force the yoyo in the direction you want it to go.

To maybe understand this a bit better, just get into a trapeze and just have your NTH index forcefully push outwards and have the yoyo just shoot out to the side and fall. Now take that motion of forcing the yoyo out to the side, but instead of just letting it fall, the moment the yoyo starts moving to the side bring your hands together. Then just spread your hands out again and everything should fall into place.

Not a great filming angle, but here’s what my eli hop technique ends up having my hands look like. With the yoyo going up at a 45 degree angle away from me, with my hands basically touching during every hop.

11 Likes

I think this video would be very helpful to you. I struggled a lot with this as well, probably the most difficult part of learning Eli Hops. (Note that the horizontal Eli Hops in this video isn’t referring to Eli Hops done while the yoyo is horizontal, but instead refers to the yoyo going to the side when doing Eli Hops.)

5 Likes

Here’s the difference between the two:

Improper:

Proper:

7 Likes

Thanks. Love that bind, too! Need to figure that out as well. I’m trying to use sky binds less because they tend to cause axle knots especially with nylon string and when tension isn’t close to neutral.

2 Likes

The guy wright bind took me so long to figure out, but once you get the hang of it, it just feels so cool.

Although to bring up another yoyo pet peeve… when you go to do a sky bind but miss the string and your yoyo shoots up into the ceiling. :sweat: I’m still just hoping nobody ever looks up at the ceiling and questions what all of the small little dents are lol.

10 Likes

That bind is a variation of the Guy Wright bind. I do it most of the time while throwing sidestyle as well. Here are some videos that might help:

Learning the Hiroyuki Suzuki bind in this video will help in getting the Guy Wright bind down as well. The Hiroyuki Suzuki bind is just another variation on the Guy Wright bind anyway, it’s just swinging the yoyo upwards instead of swinging the yoyo 45 degrees downwards to the side. You can also swing the yoyo to the side so it looks like @mable’s bind, or you can let the yoyo fall downwards, a variation that you’ll see in this video as well.

This one is a video by @G2_Jake and you can see all the variations on the Guy Wright bind:

7 Likes