Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

It’s all about supply and demand. At this point, the Statement has been out for a while, and there have been a good number of Statements released, so I’m assuming that practically everyone who wanted a Statement has one now. Back when the Statement first released, I was able to resell mine for almost retail (I think like $85 shipped), probably because they were brand new and sold out instantly. If you want to try a yoyo (and pay retail price) with the intention of selling it later on if you don’t like it, you need to buy it when the demand is high, and the supply is low.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m buying both the new Good Lifes when they come out. Which is why I’m holding off on the Shutter WA. I was just hoping I could sell my SFs and have that be most of the money i use to buy the new Good Life stuff.

1 Like

What SFs are you selling? Any SSs?

1 Like

He’s selling the Statemnt and Bliss.

1 Like

Yeah and I just lowered them both by 5$ again because I’m impatient and I just like to get these type of things over with.

Edit: I also really want that Aqua/Orange Shutter but can’t justify spending more yo-yo money right now.

1 Like

Here’s another one too:

I’m not a big fan of seeing someone’s first post on the site being on the BST. They could be completely trustworthy but it always seems a little suspect to me.

5 Likes

Pretty sure that’s a majority stance there buddy.

6 Likes

Take class in economics…

Unpopular opinion: buying yoyos with the intent to sell is ridiculous. I buy yoyos solely because I think I will like them.

Also I think you are being unfair to SF by saying that. ‘I wont buy x because im a brand whore for y’ is a pretty ridiculous statement. Nothing wrong with having yoyo preferences, but brand singularity is definitely, as you say, unreasonable. I trust some brands more than others, but in the end I find that all brands are capable of making good yoyos. Who knows, SF could come out with your dream spec yoyo in the future, and because you are now biased against them you would ignore it. I suggest keeping an open mind and avoiding the type of bias you are now exhibiting. If you are completely happy with your current yoyos, then never buy another one.

5 Likes

I’ve never been too interested in SF until I saw the Motive :hushed:

1 Like

The Cadence (and ES variant) are overrated imo, but that is besides the point.

1 Like

I buy yoyos because I hope I will like them.

I don’t ever hate them, but I rarely love them, which puts me in this weird in-between position because in many cases I don’t like them enough to play them (or play them very often), but I also don’t dislike them enough to sell them off (at least not any time soon). Consequently, my collection has grown to stupid proportions.

9 Likes

Semantics. Obviously I buy them because I hope I will like them, but I think it too. lol

I agree with you otherwise. I play with about 70% of my yoyos, with the others being shelved for the most part. If I continue at the rate ive been buying yoyos in the past year, maybe I will eventually start selling yoyos in the future, but I will never buy a yoyo and sell it the week after. I understand those guys who post like 10+ yoyos and say they are thinning out their collection, but the active BST just seems kind of excessive to me.

1 Like

Buying and selling on the bst is a good way to try a lot of yoyos without spending or losing a lot(or any) money without having a big collection and that’s what I like about it

But yeah I wouldn’t buy a brand new yoyo if I didn’t think it’d be sticking around for a little while

6 Likes

This is the main reason I sell so many yoyos. I don’t have that much money to put into yoyos, so I sell yoyos to try new things.

1 Like

Yea I get it to a point, but it seems like it is kind of an effort of diminishing return, where you have to sell the yoyo for less than what you bought it for, spend time seeking buyers, send effort shipping, etc. You might make out sometime, but it seems like a lot of time spent just to try a yoyo you never really thought you would want. Your way of doing it is more economical than mine, but id rather buy a brand new yoyo and enjoy it forever without worrying about selling stuff. I am also an employed adult, so imo yoyo isnt really an expensive hobby (unless you buy too much).

This is true, but it is the closest we can get today to a yoyo rental system. :wink:

If I’m going to pay 50$+ for a yoyo sometimes I would not mind paying 5-10$ for a great colorway haha

4 Likes

I usually don’t lose too much money. I believe I bought that VTWO for $70 I think so I only lost out $10. My Banshee and Ignition was a package deal for $100 and that’s about what I sold it for. I got my Musashi for $35 so I think I actually made a little money selling that.

But if I had never bought those off the bst, I’d still be eyeing all of those regularly now, thinking about how much I want to try them, because they are all designs I genuinely think I would like(and I do for the most part). I just like trying new throws and cycling out old ones

4 Likes

I ding all of my yo-yos so I probably wouldn’t have much luck on the bst :sweat_smile:

3 Likes