Tom Smothers has passed away

Sad to see that Tommy Smothers passed away yesterday. One of my earliest yoyos was a blue Smothers Brothers wood fixie.

May each of us have the opportunity to experience that state of Yo and throw a bit today in commemoration!

31 Likes

I loved that show:

22 Likes

Oh that’s a big bummer for the Yoyo community. One of the OG legends. Tommy Smothers got my dad into Yoyo back in the late 80s and 90s, who in turn, got me into Yoyo when I was 12. Our deepest thoughts and prayers go out to all those In the Smothers family

8 Likes

The Yoyo Man is gone…

In case the first one has a pay wall:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/27/entertainment/tom-smothers-death/index.html

15 Likes

I just saw the headline a few minutes ago. Definitely took me by surprise! R.I.P. Their act really brought this hobby to the limelight and I can’t even imagine how many folks they influenced to pick up YoYoing.

7 Likes

Big influence on me since the old record albums on.

16 Likes

What a loss. My first yoyo was a red Smothers Brothers yoyo. Later I got a Smothers No Jive from Ed, and another friend sent me one of the Kodak Smothers Brothers yoyos. Would watch their show with my Grandpa, who was the one to give me my first yoyo and get me into it.

11 Likes

Rest In Peace

3 Likes

Thank you Yo-Yo Man.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this video. I had never seen it. What a grand loss to our community.

4 Likes

RIP to the Yo-Yo Man and thanks for everything. :heart:

5 Likes

What a drag. Funny fella. RIP.

3 Likes

RIP Tommy!

2 Likes

I love throwing and collecting yoyos and I’m positive I wouldn’t be doing either of those had it not been for Tom Smothers. Like a lot of kids in the 80s, his Yoyo Man segments are what drew me in. Throwing these today in his honor

7 Likes

I used to watch there show every week. They had guests that no one else would touch. Very ahead of there time and very entertaining. I always thought His brother would go first as he was mom’s favorite. Sigh.

4 Likes

I grew up watching him on Saturday mornings. I have watched this video dozens of times and shared it with a friend just yesterday. This video is a bit of a mash up but is a good bit longer than the one previously posted.

8 Likes

Those are sweet!! I need to find some. Welcome to the forum.

3 Likes

This took be surprise today. A blue YOYOman yo-yo was my first real yo-yo.

I loved their show, was one of the many fond memories of childhood.

3 Likes

A few more videos;
(Note that youtube has gotten real nasty on ad blockers. Turn em off before you go there)
Dan Volk

This one features Harvey Lowe, Dan Volk and Tom Kuhn
Have to watch on youtube

JC Penny commercial

13 Likes

Rest in peace Yo-Yo Man.

3 Likes