The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Yeah, I totally can see your point making that Kickflip comparison. Sorry for unintentionally putting you up there in the ‚Legends‘ tier against your will :rofl:
But all jokes aside I think it’s like what @edhaponik said. In my opinion it’s all about putting one’s creativity devotion and passion into something with the main intent to create something joyful and inspirational for oneself and others. I find Yoyoing to be a perfect tool in that regard. And judging from all your recent trick posts I sense a lot of passion, creativity and joy in your play. As said, keep it up :call_me_hand:t5:

P.S. And if Rodney Mullen is a bit much for a comparison (which I can accept :wink:) maybe Daewon Song and Chris Haslam would suit better in terms of creativity.

5 Likes

Well said! I do have passion for yo-yo, and it brings me joy. It’s means a lot to me that it comes across in my play and is noticed. I have been having so much fun trying to come up with new tricks. After the first one, it’s very addictive and I want to keep chasing them. Thank you!

7 Likes
26 Likes

Varial Whip

16 Likes

Jugglecides - Moebius 0A

19 Likes

I just finished Rodney Mullen’s biography!

Coincidentally, I once made a yoyo DVD called Boyd vs. Augie, and it was inspired by the Rodney vs Daewon videos. He is one of my creative heroes. Lots of inspiration from the skate world.

9 Likes

I love Mullen’s biography, he’s one of my heroes too. I have a feeling he had an unusually large influence on a lot of us yo-yoers from that time.

6 Likes

I love this. Your catches are really smooth. I struggle with those types of kicklfips, but I do have a little “swirling” element you could add to them (see the video below)

16 Likes

Jerrod, bringing the heat, day after day! :fire:

You kill 0A and every one of your videos inspires me to try something new at work. Thank you!

6 Likes

@DocPop Thank you! That’s awesome, I’m going to try everything in that video. I like the way that you get out of the stall better.

@Mooky Thank you! That’s awesome!

Hey everyone, I’ve tried to consume as much fixed axle content as I can. I’m not on instagram so I miss a lot of that stuff. If I ever do a trick that someone else has done, please let me know so I can edit my post to credit the original name and/or creator of the trick. I don’t want to accidentally take credit from someone else. Thank you.

3 Likes

Kickflip to Chopsticks

This has probably been done before, but it’s new to me and a fun way to get into the chopsticks stall.

14 Likes

I don’t think these tricks have been done, but I could be wrong. If I am wrong please let me know. Also, if any of these trick names are being used for other tricks please let me know.

I’m calling these stalls “lock stalls” because the string wrap “locks” the loop in place, which is lame for suicides and kickflips but it opens up interesting possibilities. For example, a trick similar to a shuvit but without twisting the string, and a trick I’m calling a “pressure flip” which is a like a 180 kickflip (I thought varial flip would be too confusing), and a trick l’m calling an “impossible” because the loop spins in the same direction as the skateboard trick and it would be impossible with a normal suicide. All these tricks are in the video. I tried to be respectful of past trick names and name these tricks with the skateboard theme. Again, if these names are taken let me know and I’ll change them, or if these tricks have been done already. Thank you.

Edit: I changed the trick names and edited my video. I changed the names to mindbender stall-icide, mindbender shuvit, and mindbender varial flip.Thank you Ed Haponik!

8 Likes

It keeps on getting better and better and better! Very nice touch with continuing the Skateboard related nomenclature which I personally highly appreciate and find to be very fitting. I‘m determined now to learn all those tricks you‘ve shown here. Keep it up, looking forward to the next one :call_me_hand:t5:

4 Likes

Impossible is a show stopper, That looks so sick!

And I understand the confusion naming it “varial flip”, since the “varial” exists. I believe the skateboard varial is a halfpipe trick done before my time and that a varial flip is the kickflip with a 180 rotation popularized during my time. @edhaponik I think named the varial and he would probably know the difference of that trick moniker better than I but what you did looks like a varial flip to me!

Again sick video like always @Jerrod, time to go learn impossibles!

Edit: The halfpipe varial looks like a melon grab that you pull the board around to a mute or Weddle grab (since the name changed) (also I’m rusty on my grabs and apparently my internet search skills lol)

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt_3ejnhqSD/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Your Impossible name is better lol. I def named a trick “Impossible” but I gotta remember it hahaha

Mindbender was the ooooold name for that kind of mutation in a 1a mount before Mach 5 or Dr Strange were invented. I don’t think I’ve seen the Shuvit off of that mount which is cool. It is possible to Varial and maintain/catch the loop without even “locking” it but it’s way harder for less yield imo.

Pressure Flip is a name I’ve used since 2014 or so to describe a dif trick. It’s hard because we definitely started running out of good skate analogy terms lol.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoFTpg8n7R0/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Not trying to rain on parades. It’s hard when you try to establish elements of a style or categorize ideas because there’s just too much for someone to explore later and be expected to know or keep track of. Love your stuff.

11 Likes

I do differentiate between Varial (which is just a Shuvit but w no string wind up like what Drew first came up with) and Varial Flip which is 1/2 Varial and half Kickflip. An example is in the middle of this vid which also shows the 360 Flip.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzk_SwSBwe1/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

As a skater I know all the names don’t tie in to skating perfectly but they worked to describe/differentiate them at the time y’know?

10 Likes

Well our boards don’t use strings so the tie in isn’t too important! :wink: I wasn’t aware of the varial/varial flip difference until now though, thanks for clearing that up.

2 Likes

@Thruwell @Mooky Thank you!

I changed the trick names and edited my video. I changed the names to mindbender stall-icide, mindbender shuvit, and mindbender varial flip. Thank you @edhaponik for the information. You’re not raining on my parade at all :+1:. I really need to get on instagram so I can see all those tricks and more of other people’s tricks. I’ve had a personal “no social media” policy for so long so I struggle with that decision. Thank you!

2 Likes

Believe me, I get it. I am required to do social media for my job, but otherwise, keeping up with my yoyo player friends, and their trick ideas is pretty much my only use for it, as it’s mainly a toxic vat. It is useful for getting the evolution/canonical relationship of tricks.

5 Likes

Mindbender Kickflip Late 720 Shuvit

10 Likes