The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Wow this is so awesome! Did you go with 1/8” and 1/4” holes?

@Eric_Newlin have you ever used Poly wood glue or would you not recommend since it tends to expand?

1 Like

I ended up using .200"/5mm for the through holes and 1/8" for the small holes. It has an 8mm axle.

Just so you know, this is all your fault :smile:. I was reading your post about modifying your Legend Wing which got me thinking.

Glad I did it, in now plays great

4 Likes

Haha I’m glad I can take some sort of credit for your sweet mod! I’m pretty excited to get to tinkering. I ordered axle rods last night.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have drilled all the way through, but I’m glad its working out for you.

Out of curiosity, why not

Because it left a rough exit.

2 Likes

I haven’t used that, but I really like the t-88 epoxy I use now.

1 Like

I use poly wood glue when I’m compression molding plys of wood together. It’s what they use when pressing skateboard decks. However, in that scenario the excess glue is able to squeeze out of the sides so it never expands under pressure. Maybe I’ll just stick with my Titebond 3 this time around.

2 Likes

I see that.

Update photos on modding a Legend Wing. Holes were a bit sloppy on the cherry varnished one so I went ahead and did a natural one a little cleaner. Time to head home and fit the axles.

13 Likes

And now we wait…

Thanks for the tip @Hojo-YoYo about using a socket on the uncut axle side.

11 Likes

Looks good, can’t wait to hear how they play

1 Like

The cherry one was really smooth on the inside already, the natural one was insanely rough on the inside. Took a bit of sanding just to get it to that point. I have one more fresh one to practice on if both of these are fails.

2 Likes

I would be surprised if they don’t play well. With the gap of around 2.25mm and the response holes, you should be good. I went with a fresh ZipLine Kot-n and was happy with a similar set up as yours

Howard

1 Like

That’s awesome. I just got a new legend wing and when it inevitably wears down I’ll probably do something similar cause I refuse to throw anything away.

I’d say the first attempt was a success. I think I can do it better next try though. I’m going to try even smaller response holes closer to the axle. Or possibly stick with the 1/8” response hole but only go 1/16” deep so they are really shallow but still create a grippy surface.

17 Likes

Added some response and thicker axle to my BC BlackBird. Works super great!

14 Likes

Nice, the two sizes of response hole look familiar :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah the pattern you gave yours looked nice and functional. I did 1/8” holes 1/8” from the axle and 1/16” holes 1/16” from the axle.

Looks good let me know how it plays.

How are you getting the throws apart?

Howard