The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

I ordered 2 to give it a try! Now I just need to find a wood shop to get some hard wood dowels for axles.

2 Likes

I was able to get 1/4” dowel for replacing a Butterfly axle at Home Depot.

Do you remember what type of wood it was? I was hoping for something super hard.

1 Like

I got oak dowel.

I was day dreaming about Purpleheart dowels but that may just be a fantasy.

It’s a large gap, and there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of a response system at all, or at least where it counts.

1 Like

What is your go to gap width if I may ask?

Here’s a place to get purpleheart dowels that are 5/16” diameter.

1 Like

It really does depend on the whole yoyo. Response is contextual. Somthi g more like 2.25mm would be fairly failsafe for most designs.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for this, helps a lot! So many options too.

Awesome. Yea I planned on doing 4-8 pretty shallow circle response groves on either side. Now to find something about 2.25mm thick to keep wedged between the halves while it dries.

2 Likes

I set butterflies with 2 pennies taped together. I think it’s about 3mm.

1 Like

I was able to gently twist the Abba Zabba apart, and as you can see there’s not much in the way of response.

I would like to add some response hole, maybe go all the way through like @Glenacius_K button (if he is OK with that)

I have a few questions

What size response holes, how deep or all the way through?
How far away from the axle should they be?
What should the gap size be?
What glue should I use to put it back together?

Thanks for the help.

3 Likes

I like 1/8” or 3.125mm holes. They seem to work really well without much snagging potential. They don’t need to be very deep- just about 1/8” (same depth and width in this case).

If it was me, I would get the holes as close to the axle as you can without actually making the response holes and axle hole intersect. A 1/16” buffer is probably good.

For the gap, I like 8 Bicycle playing cards, which is about 2.25 or 2.3 mm

For gluing, a wood glue would be fine, unless you feel confident and want to use a 2-part epoxy like JB Weld or T-88.

5 Likes

Thanks for the information.

How many response holes would you recommend?

Howard

1 Like

4-6 holes seem to work well. For smaller holes, I would do more holes, like 6-8.

Eric,

Thanks again for the information.

This is what I went with, it’s a combination of the button style and small response holes.

I set te gap with the 8 playing card which put it at 2.25mm

I glued it together with a two part epoxy which sets up in 5 minutes then sanded off the extra length of the axle.

Threw a string on it and gave it a throw, it came out great. It sleeps pretty good and returns with a tug.
Still need to break in the string but I am much happier now.

18 Likes

Rad!

1 Like

That’s a pretty cool response pattern! I like the alternating hole sizes.

It seems to work pretty good

1 Like