The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

The Legend and Legend Wing shouldn’t need much to set up, just cotton string and go. Pro tip is if they are too unresponsive with fresh strings, crank up the torsion on the string until it plays responsive and play it like that for a few minutes to get the string broken in more quickly. After that you can go back to neutral torsion for kickflips and such.

3 Likes

I have the opposite issue with my Legend Wing. The axle in mine is so rough the string doesn’t slide on it at all.

3 Likes

It took a little time for mine (Legend Wing) to play smoothly. At first I was like “this yoyo stinks” but in a few days it was smooth after lots of throwing that is.

1 Like

Aight thanks y’all! They’re spinning good now! Better than I thought they would so that’s sweet. Do I have to use cotton strings? I got the ones that came with, but all my other strings are poly or nylon of various widths. Would those work?

3 Likes

Cotton would be best. You can allegedly melt poly. I haven’t really tried since cotton string is pretty cheap here on YYE. I use Type 10 on most fixies but something thinner on the Legend Wing because the gap is pretty narrow.

I just looked here on YYE and it looks like they’re out of cotton string?

I’ve used a little Slick 6. I don’t like it as much but it’s in stock on YYE and should work. It’s a 50/50 cotton/poly.

1 Like

Personally if the axle feels too unresponsive, I use Burt Bee’s Beeswax as recommended by DocPop. It is perfect.

1 Like

I just hit the inside of my Legend Wing with some 220 sandpaper and this thing plays freakin’ great now! It’s weird to say about such a cheap wood yoyo but the response is snappy and reliable with a thick cotton string. I want to order another just so I can have one as a beater.

Would anyone happen to know what type of wood the “natural” one is?

3 Likes

maple

2 Likes

Sweet. I have a cherry one now. I wonder if the maple gives it a noticeable weight increase.

pretty sure they are all maple, the cherry one is just stain i believe

2 Likes

Oo ok, that makes more sense. I’m sorta playing with the idea of sawing one in half, drilling out the axle and putting a nicer, thicker, one in, and adding some shallow response circle grooves. Creating a suped up Legend Wing. We’ll see if I hold onto the motivation though…

3 Likes

I cracked a Legend Wing in half playing responsive 5A (on like the second throw) and thought I would drill out and replace the axle, but it turns out my tools and woodworking skills were not up to the task :disappointed:

We’re you using a drill press?

No. That was my big problem :grin:

1 Like

Ah ok. I think the drill press will be my saving grace on this project should I choose to move forward.

1 Like

I purchased an Abba Zabba Woodworks fixed axle from the BST section and tonight I threw on a ZipLine Kot-n string and gave it a throw. It was very slippery and did not return with any tug, the gap seems fairly wide 3.10mm. There are some spiral cuts on the side walls near the axle. I gave it a double loop and now it returns very snappy and doesn’t sleep. I did get 10 hop the fences in a row. I might try a generic cotton string (Duncan I think) and see if that helps.

I’m open to suggestions.

6 Likes

Its the right price for modding adventures, do it!

1 Like

Try more string torsion single looped and break it in.the gap is also pretty wide…

2 Likes

Kot-n is slow to break in (it also lasts longer. Trade offs). Crank up the torsion and play like that for a few minutes, then return it to neutral and see if it plays better.

2 Likes

Its crazy how often I dont think to do that.

2 Likes