The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Definitely did not expect to see yoyo modding have a renaissance in 2023 because of wooden fixies, but I’m all here for it. Really cool stuff.

11 Likes

In the case of the BlackBird and Legend Wing, I’m just twisting them. The axles are pretty flimsy, and with the grain going long ways the wood fibers just sorta rip apart.

2 Likes

I have no idea of there’s still any real interest left in Survivalists, but I’m hoping to make a bunch of these over the next week if I have the time.

May I add, I have updated the design with softer edges and 6 hole response. The result is a much smoother and consistent spin and play than the original release.

22 Likes

I would be interested and sent you a message earlier today.

1 Like

I’ll get one made for you.

1 Like

Definitely down for one! But we were already talkin’ in the PM about it.

1 Like

Totally in for a Survivalist!
PM’d.

2 Likes

Last week I received a 16 mixed lot of yoyos from around Michigan. 4 of the wooden one were loose on their axle so I thought it might be a good time to add some response holes and reset the gap as it was pretty large. The one in the vise I added 6 response hole and tried 8 in the other. I reset the gap to 2.25mm.

You can see the one without the added holes is how they came.

12 Likes

Can confirm, the newest version of the Survivalist is the best version. It is fantastic!

6 Likes

You just got yours in the post?

1 Like

My survivalist is chilling with US customs with my cheat code. I’m just waiting to see which one gets cleared first at this point.

Fingers crossed, mine should arrive tomorrow.

No you made me one last June. It has the rounded edges and six hole response.

1 Like

From left to right, a KNack prototype in HDPE (has 5mm brass axle, 4 hole response), 3 survivalists: the YYE run (4-hole), experimental rensponse (no holes, raised collars around axle), and the newest version (more rounded edges and 6-hole response).

YYE on left, newest on the right. The newest is actually a bit smaller and 2 grams lighter. Might just be mine. Fun fact, it weighs exactly 50.00g. :slightly_smiling_face:

The rounded 6-hole one is my favourite. It is more comfortable in the hand and the response is very reliable and snappy plus pretty smooth for a hole response yo-yo.

18 Likes

Yo I just put this mystic dump in the TaW thread but I’m kind of stoked and want to share it here too…I wasn’t sure if it was cool to spam trick vids in the friday fixied whatre you throwing thread.

When I do 1a, I just bully the yoyo around and tell it where to go and I still land lots and lots of tricks but that approach has been hurting me in 5a and I think I really have to focus more on 0a because you gotta work with yoyo together more like we get to be a good team w this style!

13 Likes

Is that the trick that caused the knot you had to cut out? Because that’s the only trick that’s ever caused a super intense knot for me.

1 Like

Hah no I was just warming up and forgot it wasn’t 1a huge gap wide yoyo and just like tossed it straight up after I messed up like a dumb dumb but I somehow whipped a crazy knot into the gap

0a Cascade
I’m coming for that 2006 trick ladder! Took me forever to figure out how to not snag w the first hops…now I just gotta be faster on the trapezes and get better at throwing hard and black hop it kinda stoked lol

10 Likes

Hell yeah dude!

This has to be one of the better budget modern responsive yo-yos I’ve played with. Definitely a new EDC.

11 Likes