The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Yeah in some respects a Varial caught by the loop is more like Drew’s Shuv-It, but to me the defining feature of that trick is the tension/torsion twist and release. Definitely much harder to get a consistent loop on a Varial twist then it is to just land on the string.

5 Likes

The landing is different yoyo-wise though, so it should have a separate/additive element name imo. Like a kickflip forced rejection or something? Ive landed these in the past, tough to pull off but feels cool as hell. Needs a modifier :smiley:

@Mable - interesting how you double loop your fingers for a kickflip. I gotta learn that first trick you posted though. You reversed fingers and just did a kickflip, but caught it normally, right? Or does the yoyo rotate 180 with the reversal?

5 Likes

I hadn’t considered this since it was an accident, but I guess being able to do this is actually a pretty cool aspect of doing the underpass style catch.

In that first clip, I tried to just do a normal kickflip but with the underpass to catch. Except I overflipped the yoyo, and landed back into a “trapeze” after it did a flip and a half. So using the underpass style catch, you can effectively catch the yoyo when the loop would be underneath the yoyo, which lets you regen in the opposite direction.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this too. What if a term is used for the type of landing, particularly if it is non-standard for that particular trick.
Examples:

• Varial with loop catch (or suicide catch?)
  • Kick flip with varial landing (or *LASER landing!)

*Why “laser landing” you ask? 1. Because I think it sounds cool. 2. Because you need to be accurate and quick to pull it off + running your finger along the string kinda feels like shooting a laser. I think I’m going to call it that now, in my own little world. :joy:

3 Likes

Hi all. I’ve recently picked up modern responsive 5a and was in the market for a suitable yoyo. Having learnt 0A on a Spintastics Manta Ray, I basically wanted the same feel but with a slightly longer spin time so that I could still pull off some regular 5A tricks with relative ease in addition to the modern responsive ones. This naturally guided me towards the Manta Ray’s bearinged brother the Tiger Shark. With a couple drops of Super Lube it lives up to and even surpasses the Manta Ray. I could not be happier with how it plays and I think you guys should try it too. It is an awesome yoyo and is very cheap and readily available. I’m curious as to whether any of you have tried either the Tiger Shark or the Manta Ray for modern responsive.

12 Likes

I have a Manta Ray arriving today to try out for some 0a. Good to see others dig it.

2 Likes

I feel the manta ray has a unique feel because of the metal rings along the diameter. It tends to rocket back on harder throws. I would also suggest a thicker string for it to get the most out of the response. Have fun with it!

4 Likes

hello. i’ve been away from the fixed axle lands for a while.

new long spin trick unlocked in fixie.

17 Likes

That’s… actually incredible.

4 Likes

Is that an A-RT Orphan?

You dont recognize your own yoyos now? Lmao

Its the same old harbinger!

4 Likes

I saw somethi g in the side and though it was some of Jensen’s artwork.

Yours is probably the most thrashed out Harbinger of all time.

2 Likes

Oh! Thats just a mk1 reflective sticker. I put it there to try help me visually gauge spintime.

3 Likes

Finally getting where I can repeatedly land stalls…

13 Likes

Insane dude

3 Likes

Hey everyone, I’m curious about your preferences for wood fixies. Even though it’ll be a while before I can make more wood yo-yos, I can still think about future designs!

So here are my questions:

1. Do you have design preferences? (shape, diameter, width, gap size, response type, etc.)

2. What weight range do you tend to prefer?

3. What are your favorite woods?

4. What tricks/tests do you use to see if a wood fixie plays like you want it to?

5. What are your all-time favorite fixies?

2 Likes

I love the maple Wildwood I just received.

I put a couple of thin coats of True Oil on the rims and outer sides for protection. I would also like to see a nice W or WW logo. (?)

Thanks, Jeff

2 Likes

Mailday: Layer Infinity Kasm.

vid

16 Likes

Whoa.

2 Likes

These look so unique and visually striking. I hope @wayne927 does another run. I’d love to pick one up.

4 Likes