The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Hey Friends,

What is it called when you do a kick flip then, instead of catching the loop, you land it on the string like a varial? Thanks.

2 Likes

wouldn’t it just be a kickflip? are you actually leaving the loop (like a varial), or just catching the trapeze instead of the loop?

i’m unsure whether how the trick is caught changes the trick, but i’m not a very good source lol

2 Likes

Leaving the loop like a varial. I’m running my finger into the string under the yoyo as it completes it’s rotation to land it on a new trapeze mount. Just like a varial.

2 Likes

can we get a video? I’ve been trying to duplicate this, and while i can catch the trapeze instead of the loop, i cant get the yoyo to leave the loop like a varial during the toss. the toss mechanics of the varial require the yoyo to be out of the gap, but the mechanics of the flip almost keep the string in the loop. at least thats my experience trying so far =]

2 Likes

I’ll try to make some short vids soon. Thanks!

4 Likes

Is it what Kyle Nations called an ollie in this vid?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CYhP-PSJjA9

1 Like

an Ollie has no flip at all, toss and catch back on the trapeze stall only

1 Like

I’m guessing @Xanadu is just describing this. Not sure what you’d call it or if it has a name, it’s just like a fake kickflip? I know fake suicide is a term some people have used for quick underpasses instead of catching a suicide.

11 Likes

thats a sick trick, but i don’t think thats it. alex mentions specifically he does not catch the loop, but catches the trapeze under the yoyo

1 Like

I guess we’ll just have to wait for Alex to reply, but I recorded a slower take of it in addition to a regular kickflip. (and don’t add in an extra 180 and need to regen twice lol)

First is a normal kickflip, second is just the slack coming around, but I don’t catch the slack loop at all. I just underpass the yoyo to land into the trapeze stall, exactly the same as a varial. If you do the underpass really late it actually looks pretty convincing, like you actually did catch the slack loop, even though you just underpassed.

7 Likes

the second thing looks more like what I expect, but i’m still unsure if how its caught (under the trapeze, or in the loop) make it any functionally different?

Functionally no different, although not catching the suicide makes it significantly easier, and to an audience they probably look like the exact same trick.

1 Like

Lol, sorry for all the fuss. Was just curious to see if this had a name. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Here is a clip in slow mo. I find this much harder than a standard kickflip and it took several takes to get (especially one in full frame :tired_face:).

PS: Sorry for the grainy quality, the sun was going down as I was filming.
@mable @bheinz63 @TryCatchThrow @MarkD @edhaponik

16 Likes

I just always considered it a Kickflip since the rotation and the landing are the same. Always fun when it hits though. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Great, thanks ed! Yes, it’s a lot of fun!

2 Likes

super steezy catch on that one, way flashier than standard kickflips for sure

2 Likes

Maybe, varial flip?

1 Like

Close - Varial Flip is half a flip and half a twist, but it does land the same way on the string.

I sometimes catch the loop on Varials instead of landing on the string. IMO because of the motion of the yo-yo it’s fundamentally the same trick. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Okay cool! I just had this convo with @bheinz63 last night. I’ve been enjoying working on alternate landings and have been working on trying to catch the loop on varials too. Which is really tricky because it typically does not stay put or even sometimes closes.

This makes sense to me and supports @bheinz63’s argument. Thanks for your input ed!

7 Likes

That would be like a half a rotation on a diagonal axis, right?