The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

That’s what I figured. Thanks.

Yeah. Whatever sized bearing (or wooden axle) you use, it’s vital the gap matches it. C bearings are really not suitable for strict 0A setups because it is impossible to tune the gap to suit them for responsive tricks. Sure you can do responsive tricks on them, but they behave weirdly. Moons are odd, they loop upward and slip a lot on the end of a throw.They will only ever be suitable for hybrid responsive/unresponsive setups (unless you make the diameter of the yoyo huge).

A bearings still present issues in my opinion.
The diameter is still too large and the gap can’t be tuned well enough without either causing a minor slip/thud at the end of a throw, or it being too wide for perfect Moons. I don’t think it’s bad, just not quite there.

Cramming bearings with lube only goes so far, and I think it’s a sign of a fairly weak overall responsive setup. Maybe a bit of light lube is fine, though .

4 Likes

This is why Tom Kuhn bearing yoyos used I size bearings, they are about the same diameter as a No Jive axle. Raider/ 720 bearings are K bearings slightly larger in diameter to I bearings but smaller than A bearings. I put 720 spacers and a K into a Spinstar and it can really shoot moons.

6 Likes

Yeah I’d love to see a TK (SB5 lol?) which went back to that bearing (and the amazing gap adjustment of the SB2) but with pad recess and lower overall weight.

6 Likes

There are smaller axles, too!

1 Like

That is kind of the limitation of the latest Tom Cat reissue they did last year with the brushed rims. The Turbo Disc aren’t as grippy as silicone, I did put in a Core Co pad and it just gave it some vibe. New Turbo Disc and fresh cotton play the best, but Turbo Disc don’t last very long. Then I let the collector in me keep it on the self. I might just have to tune this one back up today.

6 Likes

I don’t find this to be true. The Delrin you made and the Moonshine 1 I had, both STM with ease and feel great doing it to me.

I do prefer the A bearing to the C for 0A in general, though. It would be interesting to see some experimentation with smaller bearings as 0A gains popularity and yoyos evolve to suit that style.

It would be interesting to create a recess for a silicone pad in a Roller Woody. Have you tried the super glue mod to make the pad last longer?

4 Likes

I might have to try this. Just superglue over the linen I take it.

1 Like

Right. It worked pretty well as I remember.

1 Like

dont we all?

3 Likes

Got this absolutely beautiful zebrawood recently from @IS_Yoyos this thing is amazing

18 Likes

The DocPop/Zipline Day Tripper is so perfect for 0a.

Been practicing redirects that DocPop posted earlier this year.

14 Likes

Stoked to snag a Wood Z in maple. Basically my dream collaboration TMBR x Zipline. Buttery smooth and nice smaller size making for a great edc

13 Likes

I hope this will be of help to someone. I saw a video by Doctor Popular about using silicone grease on responsive yo-yos. I was in Lowe’s and picked up a tube of this grease. I have used it in the past for it’s intended purpose of lubing seals in plumbing fixtures and I knew it was good quality. The Traxxas grease that DocPop was using in the video runs between $7 and $9. This is a larger tube and cost me $3.99. When my Daytripper needs a response adjustment, this is what I use. It’s easy to find in the plumbing department of any Lowe’s, Home Depot and probably most well-stocked hardware stores.The brand name is Danco.
Watch Doctor Popular’s video on how to apply.

9 Likes

I’ve used this exact same grease, I second all of this.

3 Likes

Do you have a link to @DocPop ’s video on lubing the bearing?

2 Likes

Maybe it’s this one?

3 Likes

He talks about the grease in another video on his YouTube channel. I wasn’t sure how to add a link to a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-3u5bKEis4He talks about the grease about halfway into the vid.

2 Likes

I went out and got this silicon lube today, and it works wonders on my daytripper. Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

How is the Confusion for modern responsive stall/kick flip type tricks? Looks like it would be pretty good at it

It looks like it would be OKish. It’s a bit heavy and the gap a hair too wide for my liking. This is theoretical though, I haven’t played one.

3 Likes