The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

The gap didn’t bother me as much as the weight.

@bheinz63 The Confusion is a great yoyo, but if stall/kickflip tricks are what you’re wanting to do I’d go with an Alleycat, Weekender, Daytripper and other’s I’m forgetting about. Something lighter in weight with high walls. Not saying stall/kickflip tricks aren’t doable on a Confusion, they certainly are, there are just many others on the market that handle those types of tricks, or were designed for them.

4 Likes

Thank you both for the reply! I’ve really been enjoying learning those style tricks on a butterfly I recently picked up, and I’m thinking I’m for sure going to want something nicer and made of metal. I’ve been eyeing the options you listed already but sadly none of them are available new at the moment.

There will be something cool available from Mark and I by the end of the year!

8 Likes

Anyone try the konkave A size bearings? Worth it?

Today is the perfect Day to take a Trip on a Zipline. There is an opportunity on the Market that will likely be gone by Saturday.

4 Likes

Funny you mentioned the Confusion I just got one in the mail today. I was actually surprised how snappy it was I was expecting it to be more semiresponsive similar to the Deep State but it handled stalls a lot better than anticipated. That said I agree with @AaronW in that it is a bit on the heavy side (around 58g) so while it technically can handle some of these tricks there are definitely more optimal choices. Always feel like 45-50g is kinda the sweet spot for responsive play

1 Like

Hopefully some of yall got the hint, the Saturday Market Day Trippers are already all sold out now lol

1 Like

I love Konkave A bearings, but they are better for unresponsive than responsive.

2 Likes

I felt like shooting my fixie collection yesterday.

Top Row: (L to R)
TMBR Turner, TMBR Sullivan, TMBR Irving 2019, TMBR This A Way/That A Way, TMBR Fremont 2020, TMBR Counterweight

Middle Row: (L to R) Hildy Brothers Currier, Fallen44 Crow, TMBR Baldwin, Hildy Brothers Azalea, Spinworthy Bloodcell

Bottom Row: (L to R) TMBR eH 2018, TMBR Carlson CS, TMBR PockeHt, TMBR Carlson, TMBR Morrow

23 Likes

Beautiful collection :heart_eyes:. Beautiful shot. What is your favorite TMBR fixie?

2 Likes

Best collection ! Beautiful :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It’s a tough call, but I’d have to say the PockeHt is my favorite.

6 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

For getting into 0A play, is there any reason you’d want a Duncan Butterfly XT over the classic fixed axle version or vice versa?

3 Likes

If you go this route you can typically get both for under $10. To be honest the contemporary Butterfly is a little harder to play and has a higher learning curve. The XT out of the blister pack plays pretty consistent now that they are on version 2, and with the added smoothness of the bearing makes trapeze and double or nothing a lot easier. That being said, there is something to shredding tricks on a regular Butterfly, as more people are familiar with that model due to its long history and accessibility.

@drewtetz is a true master of the Butterfly

7 Likes

The new XT can do everything the fixed one can plus a lot more!

3 Likes

IMHO

The XT is nice and consistent out of package, like @Exmime stated. About 1 in 4 Butterflys seem to have either underpar Starburst response or assembled crooked. Doesn’t make them unplayable, but still frustrating ( but it’s like 3 bucks :man_shrugging: )

Butterfly - great for pure 0a
XT - great for bringing fixed and responsive play together.

5 Likes

Thanks for the quick responses! This all makes sense. Now to track down a red Butterfly…

1 Like

Unrelated to my previous post, I just landed a chopsticks stall for the first time!

17 Likes

Cracked a knuckle on my non throw hand, what one handed tricks you guys got so I can still throw?