The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Thanks! I made my regular C bearing responsive a few days ago and was wondering if I could make it more streamlined with a slim. Still responds great, imo this yoyo should have been responsive from the beginning!

That was part of the idea with the SB edition. A thick lubed small flat bearing plays similar to a slim C

3 Likes

First Instagram Stories sighting of the @G2_Jake G2 modern responsive.

13 Likes

carrot socks @G2_Jake nice :socks:

5 Likes

Speaking of Basecamps, which would be better for converting to fixed axle play, the Moonshine or the Sherpa?

(And by “converting” I mean using one of those Luftverk fixed axle bearing blanks.)

2 Likes

I used to play the sherpa responsive and it felt too rim-weighted for me to be comfortable playing fixie-style, though the high walls definitely worked for stalls. Haven’t played a Moonshine but its specs look better for that style of play. Thinner gap, smaller diameter, lower overall weight.

2 Likes

I know nothing about fixie play, but my gut told me the Moonshine was probably the winner between the two. Unfortunately, I’d have to source one from a BST…

If you want a metal stall machine that’s in stock right now I’d recommend getting an Alleycat 650b. I have one of the loop digger ones and it’s great.

8 Likes

I have the AlleyCat 650b. It’s really nice. I was just looking for a candidate to try the bearing blanks for turning into fixed axle style.

2 Likes

Moonshine IMO. It has a lower overall mass and higher walls. I tried both my Sherpa and Moonshine with a slim bearing, and the Moonshine definitely feels better for stalls. Also if you play the Sherpa unresponsive, you can use the finger spin cup!

3 Likes

I’d love to get my hands on some fixed bearing blanks. I’ve seen some people rock full size wooden C blanks in unresponsive throws, I’ve always wondered how they would play and feel.

Might try and make my own wooden blanks someday, I’ve never come across any for sale other than the half spec Luftverk metal ones.

1 Like

If I had to choose between the Sherpa and the Moonshine for a C sized bearing blank it would be the Sherpa. The Sherpa’s weight is more evenly distributed and is larger in diameter, so it has a nice wall to bearing height ratio, the Sherpa is a Jack of all trades and I like playing it unresponsive as well. The Moonshine 1.0 with it’s Snowtires is still one of my favorites so I wouldn’t mess with it, its prefect how it is and doesn’t need to be modded. But if you want to play fixed axle, play a true fixed axle, the C sized bearing blank lacks the zip of smaller wood axles. @gcoomans has some on the YYEF BST, that $5 NIB BC / Whats Next painted Concave (Butterfly is a trademark of Duncan) is a classic gem, those always play so buttery fresh out of the box.

3 Likes

Well, if anyone has a Moonshine or red Sherpa they’d like to trade for, say, an AlleyCat 650b, let me know (I have a couple you could choose from).

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of those blanks. With either of those choices you’ll be lucky to get a 6 sec sleeper back to your hand, especially the Moonshine.

You could make the argument that you don’t need a yoyo to sleep for stalls, but even then, the way the spin decays is not linear, and therefore to me not enjoyable in the least.

Of course we’re all different and have different tastes, but if you’re looking to dabble, it’s about the lowest percentage chance for you to have a good time.

You’d be way better off with just about any wood fixie. My favorite of all time is the Spinworthy Ballsy, but the Harbingers are not far behind. Even a $10 Legend Wing plays miles better!

If you’re a seasoned fixie player, just wanting to try something new, then you might have a chance with the Sherpa.

Personally, I think it’s a waste of time, effort, and money. Not that that’s stopped many of us here…!

4 Likes

I personally did not like the Sherpa as a responsive yoyo, something didn’t feel right about it to me. I really enjoyed it as an unresponsive though.

Love the Moonshine. Looking forward to the Moonshine 2.0. Also, updated the opening post to include the 2.0

4 Likes

Got me a 2.0, gotta say, it’s pretty much a heavy weekender for me, good for trying to hit longer string tricks though, also looks hella clean with the wood inserts.

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking after seeing photos. Looking forward to adding it to the responsive collection.

1 Like

Currently testing this one me and my father made! Tomorrow I’ll remove a bit of the weight(about 65g!) and make the axle diameter a bit smaller. Plays great anyways!

8 Likes

Dunno if you saw this, but Colin/TMBR just made an epic trophy yo-yo for Kyle Nations, who took home a well-deserved Fixed Axle Champion Of All the World title at Worlds this year.

Colin has done a few of the trophy awards for the FACOAtW, and this was one of his most epic.

17 Likes

That is epic!

Did FACOAtW 2019 get captured on video?

1 Like