Show some wooden yoyos you've made

The grain direction can impact response.

If the grain is parallel to the axle (so end grain is exposed near the axle), it will create more responsiveness. The Legend Wing and TMBR wood-thread axles have end grain oriented like this. The friction of the end grain becomes the response system.

The long grain side is less responsive, which is why, for example, I use response holes near the axle.

Either way, it’s usually important to orient the halves of your yoyo so the grain pattern is a mirror reflection on both sides. This helps reduce wobble and vibe because the weight is more likely to be distributed evenly.

Here’s an example:

20 Likes

If you’re not relying on end-grain for the response, then you can orient the grain however you like as long as you mirror the sides.

4 Likes

Mirrored wood grain is just too beautiful. I think it always should be mirrored. IMO

3 Likes

Lovely match you have there. Reminds me of bookmatch on a acoustic guitar.

2 Likes

Finally finished this slim Mother T for @Woozie . My new favorite part of the process is using citrus oil after sanding as a solvent to remove any sawdust. It smells like an orange orchard!

27 Likes

Beautiful work @Eric_Newlin. You’re craftsmanship is impeccable. Taking the time to line up the grain with the inside caps and the rest of the yo-yo doesn’t go unnoticed my friend. :star2:

3 Likes

I am lucky to have an early maple version Wildwood. I just wish it had the W tree logo.

4 Likes

Excuse my ignorance, are the three trees of the logo meant to represent a “W”? Like in Wild Wood?

I have one I got in a trade and don’t know much about the history other than it is a v1.

9 Likes

That’s correct. They’re supposed to represent Wildwood. :+1:

1 Like

Thats super clever, Eric

6 Likes

Thanks! :evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

1 Like

The dogs woke me up at 4am, so I finished this modified/imperial.
It’s screws apart, has resin caps, and walnut oil + carnauba wax finish. I made a set of birch axle sleeves for it. No Jive sleeves also fit.

It was a lot of work. I enjoyed making it, but it’s probably not something I would make to order going forward.

27 Likes

Extremely nice!

No logo on the exterior?

Is it for sale?

1 Like

@Eric_Newlin You are doing absolutely beautiful work!

5 Likes

@vpxtreme traded me some yo-yos for it a while ago, so it is already claimed.

1 Like

Thank you!

A beautiful throw.

3 Likes

are those axles ( not the tk sleves) made form rounds you drilled? i’ve been toying with some 1/4 inch oak rounds for butterfly axle mods i just don’t have a drill press for the precision i need to make a sleeve… was also considering trying poplar because its very straight and smooth grain but its softer… haven’t found maple rounds at lowes…

2 Likes

Yes, that’s correct. I used a drill press and bradpoint bits.

1 Like

Yes I would

1 Like