Show some wooden yoyos you've made

What a fantastic vid :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

Time to make some yo-yos like an elf in Santa’s workshop

29 Likes

You’re a one-man factory!

4 Likes

I feel like I speak for all fixie enjoyers when I say we appreciate your hard work :saluting_face:

Was sad to hear Glen and Colin going on hiatus, but your work is keeping fresh wood in the hands of the people.

14 Likes

I’m glad I can help! My goal is to make something as good as Glen and Colin for you all - that’s what I aspire to at least. I’m so grateful for the support you all have shown.

12 Likes

These are gorgeous! What wood is that in the bottom right corner in the second pic?

2 Likes

Canarywood :baby_chick:

2 Likes

Ah let’s be honest, I made stuff-all yoyos anyway.

When I buy a house with a decent workshop, I’ll get back in the saddle.

I’m toying with the idea of making a small run of Buttons. I actually have rhe time to do that over the next few weeks.

15 Likes

I own several SW now, but I’d still really appreciate owning a Button. Love the design. This would be great!

2 Likes

The Button is my peak fixed axle design.

7 Likes

Weird I don’t remember replying to any post with only a smiley face.
Also why did someone suddenly liking this and pops up in my notifications.

Folks, I’m working with @Grapes on a logo that I’ll engrave on my upcoming run of Gnomad fixies.

Which do you prefer?

• Left
  • Right

0 voters

7 Likes

I like the mystery of the right one. Maybe he’s practicing one handed stalls and has his hand behind his back to keep from using it. Or maybe he has a 2nd yo-yo about to go all 2A. Or he just keeping it free and available for the stall here and there. :blush:

5 Likes

What was the hardest thing about it?

It looks amazing, btw! Did you do any direct comparisons with a TK 3-in-1 NJ?

1 Like

Add a third one and you have a W between the hats which I think would be cool

1 Like

The only direct comparison with the 3-in-1 was the axle sleeve diameter.
The hardest part was figuring out how to do a number of new processes well for the first time. I actually made two yo-yos - one to test things and the other as the final version. Sizing, centering, and stabilizing/securing the axle nut/bolt was challenging. Also setting the epoxy in a way that didn’t leak through or accidentally adhere to the axle and prevent it from unscrewing. Overall it felt like a lot of little opportunities where something could be slightly off and mess it all up. I think it turned out well, but took extra TLC to get there.

1 Like

I’m guessing that’s why TK decided to use a loose nut in the design of the 3-n-1. No need to fiddle with epoxy at all then

That, and the ability to do different orientation of the halves. If I did this again, I would probably get some TK nuts and axles.

We decided to go with the best of both worlds. Double the gnominess, double the fun.

Travelin’ Gnomad on one side and yoyoing Gnomad (Yo-mad?) on the other.

Thanks to @Grapes for the stellar design work!

23 Likes

Really happy with that result!

1 Like