Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Then I turned it down to this:

(My partner repeatedly responded “turn down for WHAT?” When I described this part.)

14 Likes

Here are the response and axle holes done on a drill press. This is my janky version of Glen’s awesome response system that I definitely did not do semetrically :man_facepalming:. It’s definitely not ideal to use the press, and depending on how this one plays, I may have to get a drill chuck for the lathe.

So here it is after assembling with epoxy and now it’s drying.

27 Likes

Mate, I think this is a great first attempt! Much better than mine.

It looks like you turned it really cleanly, which can be difficult with cherry as its a bit softer than other hardwoods.

Good move doing the 6 hole response. I don’t think you did a bad job ot it at all. Using a drill press is the same way I drill mine, I just have a very basic jig on my drill press to help me drill the holes the same distance apart.

13 Likes

This is the best thread on the forum.

13 Likes

Thank you! I thought I’d try the cherry, thinking it would be a slightly easier to turn. I also replaced the old used-up carbide blade, so that really helped today.

think I might try to create a jig for greater accuracy on the response holes. Mostly, I hope to get my axle hole straighter. I’m pretty sure it’s off, and I hope my epoxy/clamp rig are enough to set it straightish.

And soon I want to use some of this:

13 Likes

So… How does the yoyo you made play?

4 Likes

I just took the clamps off! I’d say it’s pretty capable for a first attempt. It’s chunky and blocky but the weight feels appropriate. I’ll have to weight it tomorrow at the shop - forgot to bring the scale home.

I’ll try to upload a video.

3 Likes

Here are some pics in the meantime. The other yoyo is a legend wing for comparison.

17 Likes

Here’s me throwing it around for the first time. (Not sure how to embed video, so here’s a link.)

https://youtu.be/PbVWVKYgzmw

9 Likes

Seems pretty successful!

7 Likes

It helps to have played a lot of really great fixies beforehand and to have observed all your iterations over time. I’m standing on the shoulders of yoyo giants, for sure. Or at least peeking over the shoulders :joy:

6 Likes

While I was waiting for the epoxy to cure today, I started turning a new yoyo in maple. I’m already changing up the process this time around - new drill chuck and brad point bits are changing the game in terms of precision. And I’m recording video of the whole process, which I hope to post when it’s done.

In the meantime, here’s a preview.

16 Likes

Wow! Nice work! I think it looks pretty awesome, especially for a first attempt and no prior experience. I’m impressed! :raised_hands::yo-yo:

7 Likes

Thank you! It feels super rewarding, and makes me even more amazed at those folks like @Glenacius_K and @RC_yo-yo and @colinleland and @vegabomb who know what they’re doing and can make a single yoyo in less than 2 days, lol.
I mean, this literally took me all day the last two days plus planning before that - so there’s some room to grow in terms of my efficiency :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Great work!

2 Likes

It looks like it responds well! How does it sleep?

2 Likes

I think it sleeps pretty well for my taste. It does both shoot the moon and flyaway dismounts easily, which is the balance I personally like.

3 Likes

It can sleep for about 5 seconds and still respond all the way back to the hand.

3 Likes

Here’s the yoyo I made today. It’s maple and has a more organic profile and a rim/cup. The two halves are within about 0.02 gram of each other and I actually aligned the grain before epoxying, so I expect it to be pretty smooth.

25 Likes

Awesome work sir. When it becomes second nature on the fixie side, would you ever consider making an unresponsive wooden?

2 Likes