Show some wooden yoyos you've made

I would definitely give that a try. I’d need to figure out where to get bearing seat guts, but I think I can see how that would work.

1 Like

Onedrop Cabal guts

3 Likes

Great work, mate!!! At this rate, Spinworthy will become obsolete!

3 Likes

You do realise you are inviting him to cry at the lathe, right?

5 Likes

Wow, fantastic job, dude. That cup design especially looks stellar. It’s hard to believe you just turned your first wooden yoyo the other day.

7 Likes

I had no clue it was more difficult.

Is it trying to get the halves as balanced as possible to reduce vibe, where as vibe doesn’t matter as much in a fixie?

Its way more difficult. The width, the extra parts and the fact that you are cutting away more material makes the failure rate very high. It’s variable density of the wiid that causes all these factors to make it hard.

If I could find a very consistent board of oak or maple, and had the time, I could sink some time into make a small successful run of some.

4 Likes

That gives me so much more appreciation for what you’ve done for me. Thank you.

3 Likes

Fantastic!

2 Likes

I will work at making you something better soon.

1 Like

I highly doubt that! But thank you.

1 Like

Thanks! I have a lot of extra time this summer, and I tend to deep-dive into whatever captures my interest. It’s very fun learning to turn and make small improvements over time. I’m a music teacher and this feels a little like practicing music - the repetition, attention to detail, expressive use of tools/instruments, and a final result/performance.

5 Likes

I could definitely see where wider wood throws are significantly harder to turn well and with consistent results.

1 Like

Great job man !!! Soon you’ll be one of the great’s in making wood yoyos :wink:

3 Likes

We’ll, let’s not get ahead of ourselves, lol. :wink:

1 Like

There’s a vast ocean between my skills and Glen’s. Literally. An ocean.

1 Like

I’ve been looking for red oak here in Australia for ages and I’ve finally found some!

I’m going to buy some and make a Knack out of it tomorrow! :grin:

6 Likes

Keep working at it and the sky’s the limit.

I’ve have learned loads and loads from experimentation in making yoyos. One day I spent hours just practicing drilling holes with different types of bits, different speeds in different materials. Not all progress is fun, but it pays off.

4 Likes

I could definitely use some practice drilling holes. See exhibit A of me burning the wood by using a drill bit depth stop collar. That was a good idea in theory that did not work.

3 Likes

It’s not the stop collar, its about drill and feed speed. If the bits are blunt it can cause this too.

5 Likes