Show some wooden yoyos you've made

This is my collection of amazing yo-yos that didn’t survive. These are the ones that when the other half died/exploded on the lathe or router, they were too beautiful to throw away so I turn them into refrigerator magnets.

14 Likes

How did they explode on the lathe?

1 Like

I’m new. It’s happened for many reasons. The bocote failed because the wood was too thin where I recessed for the response and bearing. The purple heart and padauk died on the router by chipping out at the glue lines. The purple heart and zebra wood exploded on the router. I probably just went too fast or tried to take off too much.

2 Likes

What’s the diameter on that one?

62mm.

4 Likes

Ive got to.see the rest of the videos on how you are making them. Not sure where you are using the router.

This looks amazing. I’ve always wondered how a slightly larger and thinner knack would play. This yoyo looks perfect.

3 Likes

So I watched you first video and I see where you are using the router now. Its quite a cool setup you got there with it! I can see how that is really useful for removing a lot of material uniformly in yoyo halves. That’s some good thinking.

I think some of the trouble you are experiencing with the halves exploding is that you can’t feel very directly how the wood is reacting as you are routing it. Using a bedan or square end scraper to make plunge cuts enables you to guage more directly how the wood is feeling about what you are doing. You can easily reduce speed, change the toolrest height, tilt and pont of contact according to the vibration you are feeling through the tool.

Still really like the router method you are using, it may just require a few tweaks to get it working sweet. In which case, you’re laughing.

9 Likes

Have to agree @Glenacius_K , need some of these at YYE @YoYoExpertGarrett

5 Likes

It will need to be approved by Kyle first. I’m still yet to send him one.

2 Likes

Working on a new response system.

19 Likes

Hey y’all I have one quick question regarding the RBC. Is the yo-yo supposed to spin for a long time or is it supposed to spin for about the same time as a fixed axle throw ?? I’m just curious because all of this bearing talk kinda got me nervous and I’m not experienced at all for cleaning bearings or lubing yo-yos :sweat_smile:

Edit: this post was supposed to be in the RBC thread sorry.

I made a maple KNack today from two mismatched pieces to refine further and continue to test my new response design.

I chose maple because I believe it’s the wood that gives the worst response of all (even though I love maple as a yoyo wood).

I want to develop a response that doesn’t require response holes to be drilled like Spinworthy yoyos usually are, or rely on endgrain response like TMBR and the YYF Legend Wing. This is because both have their drawbacks. The drawbacks with my yoyos with drilled response is that they can be a bit bitey and snaggy on a bad return or regen. You can also feel the string rubbing against the response holes on the throw. Its not a problem, just not a completely smooth feeling.

What I’ve made here works absolutely beautifully. It’s a lot smoother on the throw and responds perfectly. I’m goIng to have Kyle Nations give it some testing before I make the shift to use it in all my yoyos, but it seems very good.

23 Likes

Is the step in the half or the axle? Looks great :+1:
Have you tried thicker axles? I’ve been getting good results with a little thicker walnut axle and a 3mm gap. Also I’m hoping a thicker axle can give a little extra strength and more glue surface to hold better too.

1 Like

Thicker axles present problems. I use 8mm thick axles in my yoyos. You wouldn’t want it much thicker than that because it can affect performance.

For the people that always want bigger.

67x58mm 8mm gap 130g of POWER! :exploding_head: with custom 4mm string
Remember the old fairy tale of yo-yos being weapons originally? This is the 44 magnum of skill toys!:rofl:

17 Likes

Whoa! :open_mouth:

I think it’s fitting to call this model the mono wood in bocote. I think this is a winner.

18 Likes

I really like the look of the knack.

2 Likes

Fresh off the lathe. This thing is smooooth. I realized today what I did wrong on it, I cross cut the wood. Next time I’ll cut with the grain. I think it will have a better chance of not chipping out.

27 Likes