Show some wooden yoyos you've made

This little guy plays really well! Just a prototype playing with weight and size. 50x43mm 59g very comfortable and fun.

20 Likes

That’s really cool!!

1 Like

Part 2 of my making wood unresponsive yo-yos videos is done.

16 Likes

Roughly slapped together this take apart wood Harbinger. Its performance is excellent, but it’s not smooth. I’m no entirely happy with the design yet.

27 Likes

Your yoyos look so nice!!
Keep up the amazing work, Rob!

2 Likes

I’m curious why you’re trying the take apart design again? I think I remember seeing you said you were done with take apart fixed axles.

1 Like

Just revisit it and we what else I can come up with. Fun mostly.

Bottom line is that glued is best; something I knew already. I don’t know of any take apart fixed axle design I’m happy with.

5 Likes

Take-apart fixed axle designs are great in theory. I like the idea of being able to replace the axle when it wears. I thought I would love the TMBR I got for this reason, but I find I spend too much time having to fiddle with it to get the response right, and it still doesn’t play nearly as good as the completely fixed orphan (fixed axle from a/rt). The trade off is one day that yo yo will be useless when I wear through the axle.

But I haven’t tried nearly enough wood yoyos to comment on the many varieties out there.

1 Like

You would have to play a fixed axle like mad for years to wear through the axle.

3 Likes

Very true, I played a no jive 3-4 hours a day for a couple weeks with minimal wear, as in none that was visible, and their axles are softer I believe

2 Likes

Part 3 making unresponsive wood yo-yos.

Finished them. Put a beeswax finish on them and discovered the big one is smooth and beautiful but Heavy. And the smaller one was still too heavy but had a ugly vibe that I can’t live with. So I’ll be making a 4th video trying to fix those issues.

11 Likes

You can probably press or drill the axle out of the body and replace it if it ever fails.

3 Likes

Its possible for sure with the right tools.

1 Like

Welcome to the world of making wooden unresponsives.

5 Likes

@RC_yo-yo if your forstner bit makes a hole slightly too large for the bearing seat to sit in snugly, you can purchase one 1 or 2mm smaller and manually cut the edge of the recess with a scraper until the seat fits in just right. This is what I do.

I would also suggest drilling the smaller hole for the nut after drilling the recess with the forstner. You’ll notice that the forstner will create a nice divot right in the centre which will make sure the smaller bit remains centered as it enters.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tips. There is a lot more to lathe work than I expected. But it’s been a fun learning experience

3 Likes

Video 4 didn’t work out today

4 Likes

the smaller set survived. I’m not sure how I want to finish them.

I’ve got a lot of good stuff I’m working on though.
I might make a video on wood yo-yo repair. I’ve got a old no jive woody that just needs to be re glued and a old Bird in Hand that needs a new axle.
Today I also glued up this slab of padauk and purple heart. It’s looking good.
And I’m currently gluing up some walnut and maple for another small batch of Ore-yos.

14 Likes

The paddock Purple Heart looks awesome. I’d love to buy a fixe made from that block

2 Likes

I made an XL version of the KNack. It has a large diameter and high walls. It’s thinner than the original to keep the same volume of material. Its a powerful yoyo.

27 Likes