Show some wooden yoyos you've made

The most beautiful sawdust I have ever seen. I’m going to use a Fluid 3D printing kit from YYE and I found Purple Heart wood! Looking around for exotic wood locally and I found the most amazing wood working supply shop. They have all the cool stuff. So if this works well then I will go back to try others.

10 Likes

Do you know what happened to them? They look great.

1 Like

Agreed!

Their website is up but whether they’re still producing and selling I don’t know – I’m sure more knowledgeable members will step in at this point :smile:

2 Likes

What is a good gap width and axle diameter for a wood axle? And is oak ok for a axle?

1 Like

I usually stick with an eight or nine playing card gap. Oak will work just fine for an axle. My personal favorite axle size is 5/16" because I find it offers a more consistent response, but a smaller diameter like 1/4" will give a little extra spin time.

4 Likes

Finished my first yo-yo today. It’s vibey but it’s playable! I’ve always wanted a Purple Heart wood yo-yo. I used the Fluid 3D spacer kit and set it up so I can make other sides and swap out the guts. The next one will be much better. And I have a solid axle in the work too.

24 Likes

That looks really nice. I’m amazed at you folks that can envision and then…just MAKE your own yoyo!!!

6 Likes

Good job!

Can I suggest that you find a forstner bit with the same diameter as the bearing seats you are using, then you can seat them within the wooden body.

12 Likes

I call it the “Pocket Change”! It’s tiny, vibey, and light. But it works better than I expected it to. Pretty fun actually.
I know it would have been nicer to recess the quarter but the wood wasn’t quite thick enough for the hardware I chose. I had to grind out the other side of the quarter to accommodate the nut and bolt.
And I used quarters because they were the right size and I needed to add weight.
I’m definitely going to try to make another one someday

26 Likes

Purple heart and zebra wood. It’s heavy. 69.5 grams. It feels weird. It sleeps decent though.

18 Likes

Weird how?

2 Likes

I think it’s the weight. It feels like it doesn’t want to leave my hand and starts slowly and builds momentum.

1 Like

Padauk with steel rims; super stabile and long-spinning fixie!

31 Likes

Beautiful rich colour in that wood and I like how you’ve implemented the weight rings!

4 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I made a Spectraply Button tonight.

27 Likes

The Button really does it for me and I love the colours of this one.

3 Likes

I’m really happy with how this one turned out! Zebrawood and weighs 60.3 grams.

33 Likes

That looks beautiful, love the wood!

6 Likes

Thanks, appreciate it!

3 Likes