Show some wooden yoyos you've made

that looks crazy. is that a fixie?

3 Likes

Thanks, it is a fixie with a 1/4 inch walnut axle.

2 Likes

Pocket Change 2.

18 Likes

How does it play and are they for sale? @Volksrob

3 Likes

Nope sorry not for sale. But pm me your address and I will send you one. I made a couple extra just in case I messed up.
They are great for a basic throw(backhand up and down), maybe 5-6 seconds of sleep, around the world on a good throw. Not good for much but still a fun yo-yo

7 Likes

My next prototype project. 71mm diameter!
I’m thinking of calling it a Rob’s Big Boy.
Holes are to lighten it up. There will be a zebra wood cover over them when it’s done.

21 Likes

Made these with steel rims, the spectraply one is slimmer and slips nicely into pockets!

26 Likes

Very nice! The spectraply is gorgeous :grin:

4 Likes

I ordered new Fluid 3D printing kits from YYE, they should be here next week. One picture shows light coming through the wood where I got it too thin.

18 Likes

Serious level up! Father’s Day/early birthday present from my mother in law. Now I just need to learn how to use it. And get wood to practice with.

22 Likes

How do you turn two different pieces and have them identical? I haven’t touched a lathe since junior high woodshop.

1 Like

@Glenacius_K how do you turn your yo-yos? I’m assuming you use a lathe, but are you using a pen mandrel with it? Or some other type of chuck?

1 Like

I use a chuck I turned from POM that I secured to a face plate. I haven’t used a pen mandrel because my wooden yoyos don’t have holes all the way through. For my plastic unresponsives I use a 4 jaw independent chuck that I fitted to my wood lathe. They are intended for metal lathes only though.

I make some of my own custom tools for turning my yoyos and use various kinds of tools and methods that aren’t native to wood turning.

8 Likes

Wow. Thank you. I need to find a way

3 Likes

Here’s a picture of the POM chuck I use @RC_yo-yo. I fasten my fixed axle blanks to it using double sided tape. I just screwed a bit of 3" POM rod to my faceplate and turned it down to this shape. You can just use any hardwood though, that will do the trick. I don’t recommend using open grained woods though, fibres can peel away when you remove the tape.

14 Likes

I would never have guessed that you could use double sided tape. That’s really cool. Thank you.

4 Likes

Hot glue also works well and is easy to peel off once you’re done.

3 Likes

First time I’ve made one of these in a while. A maple KNack. Its a birthday present for someone.

31 Likes

I’m very glad to see a freshly made SW fixie after a while. Thanks for posting :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Love it.

5 Likes