Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Made a couple of Burleys for an order. These ones have a 5mm brass axle. They are 44mm in diameter making them the smaller fixed axle yoyos I’ve ever made. They weight about 49g.

19 Likes

Amazing! :yo-yo:It would be cool with finger cups

2 Likes

I made a SpectraPly Harbinger and Cherry KNack today for an order.

22 Likes

Made this odd one tonight. It’s purpleheart and zebrawood with a 1/4" AL axle. I’ll out it up in the BST tomorrow.

19 Likes

The world needs more bi-wood yoyos. Beautiful work per usual.

4 Likes

I made a few one piece yoyos today (each turned from a single block). They are made from oregon, cypress pine and pepperwood.

21 Likes

Making some yellow heart and padauk with walnut axle fixies for a charity auction. I really hope they play well.

21 Likes

They are thin and laminated. There is a very good chance they will play well. :+1:

7 Likes

Does anyone have any experience or info on how different kinds of wooden axles can affect spin time and responsiveness.

For example: the same wooden yoyo but one with a walnut axle and the other with a rosewood axle…

Is there a correlation between wood grain and Janka hardness?

3 Likes

There are many factors that contribute to how readily a yoyo responds, but very generally speaking, the harder the axle wood, the less responsive it is. Softer woods allow the string to bite in more.

It’s far more about the overall setup though. The Survivalist model I make has a really low friction AL axle when paired with the string. And HDPE is a slippery material. Sounds like a recipe to have a terribly responding yoyo, but it works really well due to the overall setup.

8 Likes

@Glenacius_K how do you make your logo? It’s very clean. Is it laser engraved?

3 Likes

Yrah, I laser engrave the logo.

3 Likes

I’m calling this the Pumpkin Spice because the colors remind me of fall.
Yellow heart, padauk, with a walnut axle.
59mm x 29mm gap 3mm 45-46(ish)g.

31 Likes

Those look gorgeous!

5 Likes

Oh nice!

3 Likes

How do they play?

3 Likes

There is a small amount of vibe. But I would say it’s a acceptable amount for a wood yo-yo. Similar to some of my no jives but not as smooth as my TMBR‘s. Performance and feel of it is like a smaller PockeHt, or Fremont. Overall I think it’s pretty good. I really like the look. And this was also my first time using yellow heart and padauk. I will definitely buy more of them.

8 Likes

What do you call a small amount of vibe? Visibly 1mm vibe blur?

3 Likes

I don’t know how to measure it but it’s not as smooth as my TMBR’s. If I touch the rim while it’s sleeping I can feel it. While just throwing them, it’s hard for me to notice.

6 Likes

I’m thinking of making another batch for trading.

What wood or combination of wood have you been wanting? Or that you think would look good?

16 Likes