Show some wooden yoyos you've made

I’m thinking of making another batch for trading.

What wood or combination of wood have you been wanting? Or that you think would look good?

13 Likes

Would it be too heavy/expensive/PITA to laminate yellowheart AND purpleheart? Not a Vikings fan but it would look S I C K. Also purpleheart in general is a personal favorite of mine, though I guess too heavy for some.

Also any spectraply is always appreciated around here, lol.

2 Likes

I really like purple heart too. I think that would make a great combination. They are pretty close on the janka scale, so I’m assuming they are close in weight.

1 Like

A practical combination would be maple and walnut.

3 Likes

Practical, says the guy who made a yoyo you could technically eat.

1 Like

Well… Physiologically inert, so technically yeah. Lol

1 Like

What if you made something with lignum vitae rims and something lighter on the body. The same concept as a bimetal. I always thought this could have some validity

2 Likes

I thought about doing this. Not that wood but the same idea. I think other than aesthetics it won’t do much but who knows? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

What process do you use for making your purple heart wood more purple? I know there are different ways, but what do you prefer?

1 Like

I’m no woodman, but as a consumer I really like letting my own greeze seep into the wood and darken it. I may or may not have rubbed a purpleheart knucklebone on my forehead S E V E R A L times the day it arrived…

3 Likes

How does everyone feel about the axle showing or not? I feel some like it and some don’t.

Like this :point_up:

9 Likes

The inlay to cover up the axle end looks nice.

2 Likes

As long as it looks as clean as that I don’t think anyone would worry.

3 Likes

I kinda like it showing. It adds contrast and showes different color woods

4 Likes

Yep, definitely a like here.

1 Like

I have been collecting random pieces of wood to bring when I go back home. This japanese white oak has some interesting rays and will make a pretty yoyo I think :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And I make sure to bring my stanley no°100 with me so I can see the grain. (BTW this one was made before WWII)

13 Likes

Man, love that Stanley no. 100!

2 Likes

I also have the sweetheart SW :black_heart: version from the 20s but its all bundled up :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like