Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Would it be too heavy/expensive/PITA to laminate yellowheart AND purpleheart? Not a Vikings fan but it would look S I C K. Also purpleheart in general is a personal favorite of mine, though I guess too heavy for some.

Also any spectraply is always appreciated around here, lol.

3 Likes

I really like purple heart too. I think that would make a great combination. They are pretty close on the janka scale, so I’m assuming they are close in weight.

2 Likes

A practical combination would be maple and walnut.

4 Likes

Practical, says the guy who made a yoyo you could technically eat.

2 Likes

Well… Physiologically inert, so technically yeah. Lol

2 Likes

What if you made something with lignum vitae rims and something lighter on the body. The same concept as a bimetal. I always thought this could have some validity

3 Likes

I thought about doing this. Not that wood but the same idea. I think other than aesthetics it won’t do much but who knows? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

What process do you use for making your purple heart wood more purple? I know there are different ways, but what do you prefer?

2 Likes

I’m no woodman, but as a consumer I really like letting my own greeze seep into the wood and darken it. I may or may not have rubbed a purpleheart knucklebone on my forehead S E V E R A L times the day it arrived…

4 Likes

How does everyone feel about the axle showing or not? I feel some like it and some don’t.

Like this :point_up:

14 Likes

The inlay to cover up the axle end looks nice.

3 Likes

As long as it looks as clean as that I don’t think anyone would worry.

6 Likes

I kinda like it showing. It adds contrast and showes different color woods

7 Likes

Yep, definitely a like here.

3 Likes

I have been collecting random pieces of wood to bring when I go back home. This japanese white oak has some interesting rays and will make a pretty yoyo I think :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And I make sure to bring my stanley no°100 with me so I can see the grain. (BTW this one was made before WWII)

19 Likes

Man, love that Stanley no. 100!

3 Likes

I also have the sweetheart SW :black_heart: version from the 20s but its all bundled up :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

What is your preference for finishes on wood yo-yos? I personally like gloss laquer on wood. I think it usually highlights the grain and color, plus I like shiny things. But I know some prefer raw wood. I’ve also seen super glue (CA) used but I haven’t played with it yet. Maybe you use something else? What do you prefer?

5 Likes

I think gloss lacquer is really nice for a finished look, but I much prefer raw. I think it has less of that ‘grandpa made a yoyo’ look.

Nothing wrong at all with yoyos made by grandpas, it’s just not the look I go for.

I would not recommend CA. It’s brittle, so it isn’t useful for objects that will hit the ground. It also has a tendency to yellow over time.

It also would not apply well to a yoyo turned in cross grain orientation. The end grain would soak up a lot of it so it would be difficult to get an even finish without first using a sanding sealer. Sanding sealer changes the look and lustre of the wood.

9 Likes

Ok wood guys. I want more of your wood in my hands. I have plenty of Glen’s wood, and one of @vegabomb pieces, but I need more.

What you got for sale?
Who’s taking commissions?
@RC_yo-yo ?
@vegabomb ?
@aironish ?
@hobby_master ?
@r0kushoo ?

Already reached out to @IS_Yoyos on Instagram but we’ll tag him too.

I want to see what you got at or over 55g. Have cash and trades. If this is the wrong place for this, I shall kindly fudge off and hope someone still hits me up. Let’s get a bazaar going up in here.

7 Likes