Show some wooden yoyos you've made

I’m in the middle of a new batch. I’m hoping to have them on the bst next week.

5 Likes

A peek at throws to come soon

23 Likes

Looking good. I would love to try out some of your throws. Always looking to add to my collection of wood.

3 Likes

These might take a little bit longer than expected. Ran into some problems. But the solution is to setup my lathe properly. The new parts are ordered :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

I’m interested to know what the problem was.

3 Likes

A few things I think I did wrong was not having them perfectly centered on my lathe and I didn’t clamp them when I glued the axles. They all had more vibe than I thought was acceptable. I should be getting a self centering chuck and a tail stock chuck hopefully today. With those I’m hoping I can salvage what I have made already.

3 Likes

Would love to watch a video if you’re up for some show and tell about what you made, what went wrong, the solution and anything else you can offer any future home yo-yo makers to give them a leg up. Maye @DocPop would be up for a chat on a Popcast with @Glenacius_K and you and others to get different perspectives on the art of designing and turning yo-yos.

5 Likes

I’m still very new to making yo-yos and have no experience with filming or editing a video. But there are surprisingly few videos on YouTube for this subject.

2 Likes

Perfect time to start. Anyone who’d watch would be interested in the information and probably forgive any limitations on production value.

2 Likes

Never! If it’s not a Scorsese film, I won’t watch for more than 5 seconds!

But for real I think most of us loved Glen’s video even though he thought it was trash, lol. Would love to see you work.

3 Likes

The video was complete trash. It wasn’t worth the bother.

1 Like

Always your own worst critic. If you ever gave yourself a break we’d have a Spinworthy release at YYE every month! :joy:

7 Likes

24 Likes

Did you make that? What kind of wood is it? Looks great :+1:

Made it with a friend, the body is Walnut, and the axle was Beech I think. Planning to get a lot better at these

4 Likes

This is a link to my first video about how I have been making yo-yos. I don’t know how to edit so it’s several videos of my rambling nonsense. Enjoy

22 Likes

I’m still learning how to make yo-yos, but I’m a pro at rambling nonsense.

8 Likes

Mate, I loved your video!

3 Likes

Great stuff, Rob, an interesting insight into your process. Really enjoyed your videos :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow you all are so talented all of these are incredible.

3 Likes