Show some wooden yoyos you've made

My newest video is just some more of me rambling on and I am still in the middle fixing all of my previous mistakes. I’m taking my time. just trying to make everything uniform and they are looking good. I should be gluing them up tomorrow. I’ll make another video of that and final touch ups. Thanks for the interest and words of encouragement.
Also sorry for the unfortunate picture for the video. That’s what I get for letting my seven year old post videos for me.

16 Likes

Cool video. Your desk screw center track axle trick is gold!

3 Likes

I’ll be watching this soon. I’m at work at the moment.

1 Like

Thanks mate, Its always good to see how other makers do things.

I used to turn my own axles too, but I stopped because they were too well made (oddly enough) which was messing with response. They spun super smoothly though.

2 Likes

Speaking of “turning” axles. Anybody have any ideas of how I can turn a steel rod fixed axle into a concave or center track style without a metal lathe?

1 Like

Sand paper would be the easiest way. Just use that good paper like 3m or Norton. Or you could use those little grinding stones you get with a Dremel. They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes

** yea a thin round file would be great too

2 Likes

Is the axle in or out of the yo-yo? If it’s not in the yo-yo I would think you could chuck it into a drill and use a file and sandpaper.

2 Likes

This sounds like a great idea! Thank you!

2 Likes

Thought I’d share this info since I’ve seen a lot of interest in working with wood. Finishing wood can be just as difficult and a skill as woodworking itself. Knowing what finish is correct for the job.
For yoyos- it is something that is handled by hands a lot. And one of the benefits is the wonderful touch of wood. Using a thick or very protective finish takes away that amazing feeling. Yes it is more durable but you lose the wonderful touch each different wood shares. I give 2 easy and good options. Both are natural and make grain pop. Try to not to get on response area as it may affect the way it respondes. It could go either way.
BLO- boiled linseed oil. It is natural usually no chemicals added or not many depending on manufacturer. Easy to apply, wipe on 1 thin coat let dry one day. Apply one more layer and wipe off excess. Hang dry usually 3-4 days fully cured. Touchable in 1 day. Better to wait 3-4 days, you should be able to feel the difference.

Next is walnut oil-
Take basic walnuts, put in a thin sock or soft cotton rag. Smash the walnuts up a little and rub into the wood. Same dry time just be sure to wipe down after the 3-4 days. You can even add a paste wax after for more shine. Walnut oil is also food safe they use for wooden spoons and bowls and stuff.

Both are easy and still leave the wood feeling warm while popping the grain and color in a natural way.

14 Likes

I took a class from Sam Malloof about 20 years ago and this is what he used on most of his pieces. If it’s good enough for Sam it’s good enough for me! His work is incredible! Probably some of the most imitated designs in furniture making.

12 Likes

Sweet chair! The joints look clean, I will take a look.
Yea I recommend looking at the ingredients list and find a product that doesn’t use chemical dryers. It does take a little longer to dry but I think it’s a better product especially with a lot of touching. Order online if you can’t find at a wood store near you

If you’re into woodworking look at George Nakashima too!

3 Likes

Hi everyone!
I have a question to see if anyone knows a date:
I have been waiting for months for the wooden yoyo with yoyopalace bearing, is it going to go on sale or in the end they do not commercialize it?
Thanks and greetings to all!

8 Likes

Their plastic sphere was teased like this for over a year if I remember correctly

That little table is adorable. May have to smash some nuts for my raw TAW-TAW…

2 Likes

Don’t use any food based oils. They eventually go rancid and stink.

1 Like

Okay!

Just got done watching all of your videos, very cool! It really makes me want to get into making some yoyos of my own. Or at the very least fixing my Spinworthy Harbinger that got snapped in half.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting. Enjoyed (virtually) hanging out in your garage for a bit.

2 Likes

Have you ever used it? There is a possibility that over a very long time it can go bad. But since it not coming into contact with water all the time or other food products its highly unlikely it will go rancid. People have been using it for millennia…