Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Thank you :smile:

Yes, a combination of too much tailstock pressure (I like it snug to stop chatter) and twisting my home-brew parting tool while turning the axle to size.

Gluing at the mo, so I might be able to rescue it!

5 Likes

Hopefully you can rescue it.

Using a cup centre in your tailstock would be better that a pointed one for holding the piece securely without having to use excessive force.

1 Like

A cup centre is a great idea, thank you.

I did manage to save it but as it took shape a flaw in the wood which passes through the entire yoyo became horribly apparent. I finished it anyway, strung it up and it actually plays quite well and surprisingly smooth. Specs are:

Diameter: 56.75mm
Width: 33.5mm
Gap: 3mm
Axle: 6mm
Weight: 57.2g

20 Likes

Spent the morning making this one for a friend.

The body is Fustic with a Padauk plug and the axle is Red oak.

23 Likes

Is everyone using a lathe to make yo-yo’s or is there others ways?

2 Likes

For most of my yo-yo’s, I use a drill with a hole saw and a router table. Actually my first few where made with only a drill and many hours using sandpaper to shape them. I burned out one of my drills doing that lol.

these are some I made with just the drill.

16 Likes

I can actually do that. I’m going to give it a shot. Thank you.

3 Likes

I used to use a router table too. It’s a pretty effective way to make yoyos and gives good repeatable results. I stopped doing it this way due to the limitations of the router bit profiles and I wasn’t happy with the finish off the bit. Routers are violent things that kind of just scrape and mince wood rather than cutting it cleanly. I also didn’t want to be locked into having the axle holes right through the body.

4 Likes

This has a nice rustic look but also a pretty well defined shape. Nice one!

3 Likes

I made a hickory Button today.

16 Likes

I love the look of these routed YoYos!

How can you hold them safely? I value my fingers too much!

1 Like

so pretty

2 Likes

Thanks! This is the rig I use to hold them.

12 Likes

Nice idea! I’ve seen videos of people just holding a yoyo against the cutter and it makes me cringe!

4 Likes

Oh wow! That’s just asking for trouble.

5 Likes

Tried something new with this one. I used a steel wool and vinegar mixture on the rims to give them a charred look. The body is White oak with Walnut plugs and the axle is red oak.

20 Likes

Just wanted to let everyone know that sphere is making a wood bearing yoyo.

9 Likes

Please make my Spin Machine obsolete.

2 Likes

One-piece oak looper. Over did the string gap but double wrapped, it plays super-smooth.

Diameter: 58mm
Width: 34mm
Gap: 3.3mm (shade too wide)
Axle: 6.5mm
Weight: 47g

19 Likes

Made my first looper yesterday. The rims are open enough for some pretty decent all round 0A as well. So comfortable to hold.

24 Likes