Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Don’t be fooled by its looks; it’s total poo. Lol

I like the concept though and will make another laminated one another time using different woods. The density of the purpleheart was way off with this one.

20190204_202625 20190204_202628

18 Likes

What if you slim it down and cut back the purple heart a little?

1 Like

That would help, but I wanted this one wide (46mm).

1 Like

That’s a beauty Glen. I just bought this yesterday so hopefully I’ll have some yoyo/spin top pics to post in this thread soon!

13 Likes

Nothing like a little woodworking and a cigar! :joy::rofl:

There’s something about a four jaw lathe chuck that just looks so…satisfyingly “gadgety”.

That lathe has a few different versions, three or four companies put it out under different names. I’ve got one it’s a great tool for yoyo making. Make sure you get it on a nice solid table!

5 Likes

I really like that shape!!!

1 Like

That’s a nice new lathe and the perfect choice for beginning, and, complete with a scroll chuck!

They’re actually really good for the price. I would still have mine if it didn’t die on me (mine was already at least 25 years old when I bought it).

I started off with the same lathe, except mine was badged as the Australian brand ‘Ledacraft’.

2 Likes

Haha. Before I had a lathe stand, I used to put mine on top of my thin MDF workbench😱.

I don’t recommend that.

1 Like

Ahhhh… And I just love the look of a nice new lathe bed… Free from scratches, CA, sanding sealer, shellac etc… :star_struck:

1 Like

So I haven’t used a lathe in literally decades. Just familiarizing myself with it. I made this just eyeballing it. It actually spins great! :grinning:

14 Likes

Looking good! Pine? Ash? Oak?

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s ash. Can’t wait to make a yoyo!

2 Likes

Made a desk walker for my son. Spotted gum.

20190217_212131

11 Likes

Do they still make the ‘make a yoyo out of anything’ kit? I can’t find it. Otherwise what are ya’ll using to do your bearing yo’s?

3 Likes

One Drop Cabal guts most likely. You can buy them direct from them

2 Likes

I looked but didn’t see them? I’ll keep looking, TY.

2 Likes

No, contact them through email. They’re not listed on the site you just have to enquire

1 Like

Ahh… coolio speak easy style. Thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

Thought I’d make myself a one-piece yoyo today. It’s turned from a single block of pepperwood. Thought it might make a nice EDC.

20190220_142416 20190220_142213

14 Likes

Gorgeous! How do the one pieced ones play?

1 Like