Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Excellently. Super smooth feel and response.

4 Likes

Oooh

1 Like

How did you drill out the response holes?

1 Like

You don’t. The endgrain on the inside of the gap is enough to provide good response.

1 Like

Interesting how that is enough to provide good response. Must have been tricky to get the gap just right.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a little tricky.

1 Like

Do you just use a thin parting tool to nug down the gap to the right depth and width? I haven’t tried a single piece one yet.

1 Like

Yes, I used 1/16" parting tool. I use a 1/8" to get the taper, too.

I have never found a tutorial on how to make a true one piece yoyo. I just had to try it for myself.

3 Likes

I’m currently testing a new method to provide good response in any of my wooden fixed axles without drilling holes.

5 Likes

If you try one, make sure you use a blank in spindle orientation, not cross grain.

1 Like

Made a maple Harbinger and a European beech Ballsy.

These have a new tweaked response I’ve been working in to further improve reliability. It’s working really well.

20190307_142315 20190307_142135

7 Likes

Can you boomerang it?

1 Like

Yes. Can’t do anything with it after that though lol.

2 Likes

Going to refurbish an old yoyo I made before Spinworthy days. My yoyos had a myriad of problems back then and this one exhibits them all.

Problems:

• Made using a router instead of a lathe. Halves have marks on the rims from compression from the router bit bearing caused by pushing the halves too hard into it.
  • Router speed and/or feed rate too low causing burn marks.
  • Entire yoyo sanded with a sandpaper of a low grit.
  • Poorly fitted axle
  • Axle made of a wood that is too soft
  • Axle glued in using too much glue, causing squeeze-out into the gap of the yoyo.
  • Axle glued with a poor grade of PVA
  • Axle is elliptical
  • Axle is poorly cut
  • Centre highlight is off centre
  • Sequins in the centre highlight stacked unevenly and too high.
  • Centre highlight not polished with a fine enough grade of micromesh.

20190308_085303 20190308_085244 20190308_085247

I’ll post another picture of it after I’ve fixed it up.

5 Likes

Here is the same yoyo with all of the above problems fixed to standard I am happy with.

14 Likes

Just browsed the whole thread, and this is some truly remarkable stuff.

Well done!

7 Likes

Not wood, but I’m about to turn some Survivalists for a local plastics engineering place. I wanted a quote to buy some plastic, but instead they said that if I make them 4 Survivalists, I can have some for free! Nice people!

18 Likes

What do you do if you need a tool that isn’t available? You make it! I made this tiny 1/4" bedan to level out and clean up the recesses where the guts and caps sit in my unresponsives. It’ll do nicely.

12 Likes

25 posts were merged into an existing topic: Show some plastic yoyos you made

Made an Oak Harbinger yesterday. Oak Harbingers are the most standard yoyo I make, but one of my favourites.

10 Likes