Reduce your collection to the yoyos you couldn't possibly live without

You can only take 5, I’ll rent the other three from you for 3 years, lol. Thanks for answering.

The RBC has the best feeling response if any modern responsive I’ve played. Yes, you gotta drop some thick lube on occasion but no biggy, standard maintenance. Nothing shoots the moon as easily as it does. The curves give me that fluttering in my heart that an organic does and it feels so good in the hand, unlike anything other. Which is nice because it’s going to be hitting your hand quite frequently so it’s nice to have such a comforting catch.

The Weekender us such a close runner up and actually wins in many other categories if responsive play not listed above.

2 Likes

I guess I will limit my self to 10 yoyos and reduce my collection to ~20%. Note this is an entirely arbitrary reduction and your list length will vary.

-Kodiak (at 1 point I had 5, this is my all time favorite yoyo)

• Tiramisu 1 +2 (this thing has something nothing else really itches for me, either power out the wazoo or floats for daze, a beautiful pairing and I am a big fan of variations on a bearing)
  • Dale, quail, B7 (A-RT does some beautiful stuff and I am a fan of variations on a bearing because one little things controls so much of the yoyo)
    -Day tripper (this is the yoyo that made 0A click for me and it will never leave my pocket, let alone my collection)
  • Ti Peak (its a peak but titanium)
    -Wooly Marmot 2 (what started my fascination with older CLYW stuff, chopsticks monster and what helped me learn some of my self made chopsticks tricks)
  • Pano/Dio (do not have the ability to decide between the two so this will be technically be a 10+1 list)
4 Likes

Seeing some of the other posts inspired me to elaborate a little on my choices.

1. Diorama - This is the yoyo I reach for the most. The description of the Diorama/Panorama was spot on, and they really nailed that feeling. It always finds its way into my hand, and it just oozes fun. It also happens to be one of my more interesting Saturday Market examples, and the combination of 7075 and Pyramatte is godly. Side effects are an added bonus that help propel this onto this list. I recently swapped out the UL’s with Legos and the difference in center weight really changed the play feel of the yoyo, slowed it down and also made it feel more relaxed.

2. Red Blood Cell - Quite possibly the best modern responsive to date. Everything about it just feels right; stalls, regens, shoot the moon, its even incredibly competent for 2A and some 1A as well. Zero maintanence at all, with how much I’ve played this I would have had to regrease my Day Tripper at least once in the same time frame. The playfeel and lack of maintanence is why this is never leaving regardless of circumstances.

3. Survivalist - I don’t have much experience with fixies, maybe there are better out there but this one is ideal for me. The size/shape are very nice, and its super pocketable. The response is beautifully consistent, and it works perfectly with my bulk string of choice. I have no fear that this thing will outlive me on this planet, and thats one of main reasons why it will be in my collection forever.

Honorable mentions that would be incredibly difficult for me to part with due to sentimental, or play reasons but they don’t quite meet the “cant possibly live without” criteria.

Day Tripper - My first “real” responsive yoyo, and easily my most beautiful saturday market. It just barely gets edged out by the RBC for this conversation due to a little bit of required maintenance.
Koi - IMHO the best organic recently released. Not sure why this yoyo doesn’t get more praise. Its so powerful and stable, yet relaxed and slow to play.
Valhalla - My first bimetal and holy ■■■■ its incredible. It is very fast, agile, stable, and generates a ton of spin speed/time from very little effort. Just not quite something I would want to play day in/day out in a “cant possibly live without” scenario.
CLYW Borealis 2 - Absolutely incredible yoyo, powerful, stable, and feels so good in the hand. It was a gift from my mom so its extra special. Possibly the smoothest yoyo I own, and my only C-Bearinged yoyo with 21mm response pads. I’m not sure why more yoyo’s dont come with bigger pads.
Unknown Freehand AL - My introduction to the Freehand line, and possibly the best in the whole series. I have the matching ( un ) Duncan logo shirt, and its super awesome. Also a gift from my mom so it has some hefty sentimental value.
Ducc v2 - Fast, powerful, light on the string and very fun. I see this yoyo get a lot of hate, and I’m not sure why. I did have snagging issues at first, but with a VIP bearing and Shadowpads the yoyo is a dream to play. It was a gift from my dad.

11 Likes

Taking sentiment out of it is the hardest part for me. Too many throws i have are personalized or tied to a personal experience. If you throw all that away and i have to narrow things down to say 1 throw per category i guess for now it would look like this…

Loopers- as much as i love loop 720s and variants,
I would take my loop 1080s for customization

Wooden fixie- my spectra bloodcell

Metal responsive- day tripper

Plastic- Pom Draupnir

1a all arounder- g2 warthog

Organic- Static co Sudo

Performance 1a- Top deck

Bimetal- tp levi 8

Undersized- Mini star 2

Stainless- I am purging too many throws, no chance I’d keep a stainless so instead I’m hang onto my Avalanche

Titanium- Project Ti

5a- a pair of YYF Marcos

That said please dont make me do this!

2 Likes

Any yoyo I’ve been gifted is an automatic “I’ll be buried with this”. My Ti Vayder and my Magnum Opus, maybe my coming Ari, But there’s only one yo-yo I can truly never let go of.

The Big D Trickster. It was my grandfathers for decades. Then he passed it down to me. I love my other throws and I’ve tailored my yo-yo case to really reflect what I like, but this is the one that means the world to me.

(Ps. Remind me to remove the lens protector from my phone. The photos look terrible with it on!)

8 Likes

Without getting too sentimental, I think two yoyos can keep me covered.

Grail
MCMO

5 Likes

If I had to choose 1 desert island throw.

MMC

If dinging a bi-metal didnt send it into vibe city, I would pick the GTR.

If I had a Gravity, I have a feeling I would choose that. I’d trade a bunch of my collection for one.

4 Likes

It’s straightforward for me to limit myself to yo-yos I’ve worked on. Here’s 6.

Diffraction - My first design. This would be the very last one I got rid of.
Exia - Reliable performance.
Contact - Big & fluffy.
RBC - The roundest and smoothest. Probably the easiest to pocket from this list.
Spyglass - My recent self-indulgent design.
Sliver - Working with Spiral was a treat. Slim companion.

12 Likes

I love this type of exercise. I have way too many that don’t get played, yet somehow I find difficult to sell. I generally go through phases where I play one or two exclusively for weeks or months. I am away from home for about a month for job training right now and I limited myself to 4: Autoscopy, Top Deck, Kagerou, and Reality. I’ve been playing the Autoscopy almost exclusively for a month or two and I would choose it if I had to reduce down to 1. But, I know my preferences tend to shift (though power and stability are always high priorities).

2 Likes

Nice choices!

This exercise is also nice for those of us looking for a new throw.

Never thought about dropping it down to one. Even though the TiVayder was an anniversary gift, I’d pick the OG 5 star and tell my wife the amazing journey I went through to get it. She is Italian and very understanding, lol.

3 Likes

Probably some General Yo.

1 Like

I think that if I were going to reduce my collection to a few yoyos, I’d want to cover all my bases. If they were going to be the only yoyos I’d have forever, I’d want a variety.
I’d want one that can do anything in 1a. I’d want an organic. I’ve never had an interest in fixed axle, but I’d want one of those.
So I’d choose an nice organic, or two. Because I’ve thrown some that are very fun. I’d also choose a responsive throw. I have very little interest in it now, but who knows? I might later. And make darn sure that every single 1a trick I could want to do was entirely open to me with a wide powerhouse. I’d also want to have yoyos capable of the other styles (2a, 3a, 4a) if I could choose that many. Again, I’ve never thrown these styles, I might not. But I can’t say I’ll never want to.

Anyway, just my two cents.

3 Likes

I did this a few years ago during a depression spell. I sold off and gave away almost every yoyo i owned. The only things i kept were yoyos that were specifically to give to people (yyf whips at the time), the yoyo i designed, some yoyos i hand turned, 2 Spinworthys, my OG butterfly, and one 2a and 4a set. Overall im fine with what i had left, but there are a couple i should have never parted with (espcially for almost nothing). Live, love and learn i guess. Would i do it again? Yeah, just a lot less extreme.

5 Likes

If i had to go to minimum to still be happy with my collection it would probably be these 3:
Duncan butterfly. My orginal yoyo (after some dollar store ones that broke right away). This thing has gone through all sorts of reglues, reponse redrillings, and so on. Not a great yoyo, purely nostalgia
Spinworthy unresponsive: such a unique yoyo that i plan to never get rid of.
Triple Point: yoyo i designed 3 years ago or so. Truly my favorite yoyo.

11 Likes

I’ve toyed with this idea for quite awhile. For a few years I did a “You can only keep 12” post on FB. Would do it yearly to see how people, and me, had changed.

I’d love to lower the number on my collection, have been doing it slowly. Not sure how small it’ll get. Right now I’m around 125-150. Would like to be at least half of that by the end of the year.

4 Likes

I guess I could live with just my Project 2, Panorama, Quiz, and BoltXP. Ideally I’d like to end up with 12 total, but the problem I have with cutting down to a number greater than 4 is that there’s a myriad of stuff essentially tied for 5th-12th place in my collection. Right now I have about 30 yoyos.

2 Likes

I’ve done this quite a few times. Sold everything and only used a one drop t1 for a year or so.
Now probably a deep state, parlay, and either a float or voyage would have me covered.

3 Likes

Loving everyone’s great posts so far! Keep em coming and post pics if you can!

Also… I think I was able to narrow it down just a tick further to just 20 total, which sounds comical but was actually super difficult lmao (I didn’t want to, but if you had a gun to my head and said 20 only, this would have to be it).

And I know absolutely NO one asked for this, but I was inspired by some of the other posts to do a write up on each yoyo and why I’m keeping it. MAJOR apologies for the insanely long post, please feel free to scroll past or just read whatever you’re interested in.

5 Star - my go to throw when I’m looking for a dose of heavy nostalgia, and it’s well loved so I don’t mind playing it anywhere and everywhere

Hatrick - my first “high end”/boutique metal yoyo, picked it up from Ernie (the first time I met him) at Nationals in 2009 and have tons of nostalgia and great memories associated with it. It is still mint so I don’t play it too often, and while it may not be in my top 5 performers, it’s for sure in my “Top 5 Never Selling Under Any Circumstances.”

MiniStar and KLR - got these from Ernie direct as well at contests, such great memories associated with them. These are both “badass editions,” which not only make them more cool, but rarer, and even smoother than the rest of the runs, as Ernie set aside the smoothest ones for badass engravings.

Majesty - for awhile this was the most expensive yoyo I owned. I paid a premium for it because it was the 7075 version and it came with Ernie’s dad’s specially made wooden boxes. Also in the Top 5 never selling under any circumstances category.

Draupnir - the newest edition to the lineup, but I couldn’t ever see myself getting rid of the supposed “best yoyo ever,” as from a performance standpoint I have a hard time disagreeing with that statement. Likely the best performing yoyo I own.

Hummingbird - never getting rid of this soley based on the fact that it’s a rare Unknown edition. It was probably my best performing yoyo before grabbing the WISH and Draupnir. I still grab it when I want something high performance but LIGHT. Which is a lot. Playing this is like driving a lambo at 100mph.

WISH - I think it’s tied with the Draupnir for best performing yoyo I own? Was super surprised at this thing when I got it, totally was not expecting it to be THAT good, but it’s definitely the most “goldilocks” yoyo I’ve ever used, besides the Free Solo and Panorama.

Peak - the most expensive yoyo I’ve ever purchased, but one of the most “worth it” purchases I’ve made. She doubles as a shelf queen and a daily driver - I keep it nice, but I LOVE throwing it all the time. It’s pretty much still in mint condition and VERY smooth for a Peak. It’s a nostalgia trip, and I try to throw it at least once a day. One of my all time favorite yoyos.

Summit - Way ahead of its time in terms of how good it is, and still an absolute banger. A legendary collaboration with a legendary documentary to match. This one is absolutely mint, and in one of my all time favorite collaborations. Proud to be it’s caretaker, I know there probably aren’t too many mint ones left.

MCMO - The best performing organic I own. A total modern classic that holds it’s own against most any of my bimetals while being comfortable AF.

Panorama and Diorama - Sentimental stuff aside, these have got to be my favorite yoyos ever. They aren’t the best performing yoyos I own, but they are what I pick up and use the most, and it’s not even close. Whenever I’m out and about, I always have one of these on me without fail. IMO this yoyo will be looked at as a total classic in the future (and kinda already is).

Grail - Along with the MCMO and a few others, one of the greatest organic yoyos EVER made, if not THE greatest. A modern LEGEND… Obvious stuff aside, this specific Grail was my white whale yoyo. When I got back into throwing not too long after the pandemic started, I did my research and the Grail was probably the most popular yoyo that had come out while I was gone. When I saw the gold one, I KNEW I had to have one. Owning a yoyo called the Grail in the gold colorway just made sense to me. And what made it even harder to find: I wanted a completely mint one, which was a challenge, as there were only 30 made. I spent 8 months searching for one with absolutely no luck, which ironically just made me want one more, so I almost gave up hope that I’d ever find one. But then one day, @yoyoretro reached out offering his for sale, and I honestly couldn’t believe it. And it couldn’t have come at a better time, my Grandma had unfortunately passed away a day before and I was feeling really down in the dumps. And while no yoyo could ever begin to cover such a loss, it was a MUCH needed pick me up, so I’m always thankful to yoyoretro for that. Absolutely will never sell this under any circumstances lmao… it was WAY too hard to get and who knows if there are even any mint ones left out there. Proud to be the caretaker of this beauty.

420L - This thing is just pure fun. When I got it, I couldn’t stop using it. I couldn’t part with it because it’s a fantastic yoyo to have on hand when you wanna switch things up. And the weight is PERFECT for the size, I love how it’s not heavy at all.

Dark Magic - This was my first “real” yoyo, I couldn’t ever part with it even though it’s probably only worth like $30 lol

Butter - My girlfriend got me this for our 2nd anniversary, and like @kretzschmar said, it’s staying for more reasons that that, but that’s the main reason. Held the “number one favorite yoyo” spot for awhile, pretty sure it still does. I also got it right when I got back into throwing, and it showed me JUST how much better yoyos had gotten since 2013.

Free Solo - My favorite monometal and one of my most used yoyos of all time along with my Panoramas and KLR. Don’t think I’ve ever found something that plays better for the price, and it’s SUCH a Goldilocks yoyo - it feels just right, like I was talking about with the WISH.

Grail (again) - This purple Grail is my EDC Grail that I bring around and don’t have to worry about too much.

Chief - An all time classic, and for awhile (before the bimetal craze) was considered one of the best yoyos ever made. Mine is VERY well loved and a great example of a lighter gram Chief. This one is a Musket edition, it’s super rare and since it’s my only one, I don’t think I could ever part with it.

If you made it this far… props lmao

10 Likes

Your house is burning down, and a bunch of bad guys have your family hostage taking off in a get away car. You have to chase after them, but you grab one yoyo to bring along with you on your new quest. Go.

1 Like

Bakemono, its the biggest heaviest yoyo i have. Its gotta do some damagae to the bad guys

2 Likes