Overwhelmed with your amount of yoyos?

Hi all. Have you ever been overwhelmed by the amount of yoyos you own and realize 75% of the yoyos you own are rarely thrown or have no or little appeal to you anymore and are not costly enough (under $35) to put on BST and go through all that work? I feel that way. I wish there was a way to donate these yoyos to someone who would give them to beginners and put them to good use. None of them are novelties or garbage. I gave away about 70 yoyos over the last two years and am still overwhelmed. I have a tiny apartment and it gets to be too much. Iā€™d rather own 24 yoyos that I truly, truly love than have 150 that I am pretty sure I wonā€™t throw again. Any thoughts?

26 Likes

I often feel the same way. I definitely donā€™t need the amount of yo-yos I have, mainly lower value throws. Those yo-yos that I donā€™t find important to me or my collection, Iā€™ve put in a box. Not really sure what to do with them, but Iā€™d love to give them away if the opportunity ever arises.

9 Likes

I do offer a ā€œsurplus yoyo disposal serviceā€ with very reasonable ratesā€¦ :smiley:

Seriously though, what I like to do is keep an eye out when playing in public for anyone interested in trying. I carry a Whip for this purpose, as well as a cheap unresponsive because most folks have never heard of unresponsive. If someone is truly interested, Iā€™ve got a cheapo to send along with them. Itā€™s a great way to thin the collection!

Another great option is the Pay It Forward thing that Dizzo started! Those are super fun and a great chance to get others to try new throws.

Ivan

8 Likes

For the future? spend much more time evaluating, comparing characteristics, asking yourself why to buy or even better if there is really something substantial that makes you want to buy or is it just a passing instinct ā€¦ after all these paths you will find yourself only with objects that, maybe they have not met your expectations but ā€œthey will have a reasonā€ and you will not be able to free yourself anyway.
For the present? every now and then he also plays with the models you donā€™t like too much and mgari partially changes his mind about them ā€¦ the problem is not the space, in that case there are 108 yoyos

and the value has nothing to do with the quality of an object, I would not sell the Chinese copies of the YYRs for example (which however have different characteristics from their original models and are nowhere to be found), even if there were someone willing to pay 10 times their purchase price.

4 Likes

Not sure I could make use of 125 yoyos, but I work with kids aged 4-17 in a behavioral health program to help them learn to recognize triggers, develop independent living and coping skills, and practice mindfulness. A few of the older kids have benefited from learning how to yoyo. I think learning how to use a skill toy is a good way to practice being present and a good way to get some people out of their head. I usually keep a Butterfly, something more advanced like a responsive Shooting Star, and some other fidget toys on me in case I come across someone I feel will make use of one of them, but I canā€™t expense most of the stuff I buy and give away.

Due to HIPAA laws, I couldnā€™t give you pictures to show you the kids the yoyos find homes with, but I could definitely make use of a few cheaper ones for the beginners I teach.

12 Likes

When I started this hobby, I had no intention of starting a collection (and I still donā€™t, haha). However, in the pursuit of figuring out my preferences and wanting to try different yo-yos that appealed to me, I ended up with a small one.

This case holds a dozen yo-yos. Iā€™ve decided that I will only have this one case, so if I find something else that I really want, I will have to get rid of one (either sell, give away, or create a Pay-it-Forward thread). Whether or not this plan works is yet to be seen, but Iā€™m very happy with what Iā€™ve got at the moment. I also have a handful of cheaper yo-yos (Butterflyā€™s, etc) that I display on my desk and would gladly give away any of those if anyone showed interest in getting started.

11 Likes

Nice collection!
(btw, youā€™re just missingā€¦)

4 Likes

@jeduardo
Has a program where he gives yoyos to people all around the world who canā€™t afford themā€¦ Iā€™m not sure if they are new or used or what the conditions are but maybe check with him or he can chime in.

7 Likes

Yes.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve personally never felt this way. Even when Iā€™m not much into the hobby at the time.

6 Likes

I recently did that, just offered to give them away on the BST with the ā€œbuyerā€ just paying for the shipping label. I was attemping to give away an iYoyo Passion and a Throwback Skilltoys Arcade, two very nice but budget oriented throws. It took about a week to find someone willing to pay the $10 for priority shipping. Iā€™m about to do the same again, because I have about 2 or 3 yoyos that are simiilar price/performance ratio that Iā€™m hoping to pass on to someone who will enjoy/play them more than I do.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve recently done the same. I have a shelf of 12 yoyos that I have filled with yoyos I consider to be very nice, and I will keep those and sell models as I find new yoyos that really call to me. There are some exceptions, I have 2 classic butterflys that I have on display, a freehand zero still in the package on display, and then 2 yoyos at work/in my car (one responsive/unresponsive each). Honestly it feels good to keep a small number of yoyos I REALLY love (in total about 20).

5 Likes

I had that exact same intention with my 6-yoyo case!
It didnā€™t work for me, Iā€™m at a total of fourteen throws right now. Not including a handful of Whips that I keep on hand as giveaways.

Although I suspect Iā€™ll be sending some of those fourteen along to another eventually. There are some that Iā€™ll keep for sentimental value, some that I keep because I love how they play (for the moment at least) and one that I keep because it just looks great.

Then there are a few that I bought because they were a good deal and will eventually be bequeathing to a deserving learner because I didnā€™t connect with them.

Ivan

5 Likes

Never, becauseā€¦

I never buy ugly yoyoā€™s so I consider each of them a piece of art.
I occasionally pull a random yoyo to play just to see how it feels.
I donā€™t feel guilty giving 80 percent of my time to a few select yoyoā€™s. They earned it.

14 Likes

I admittedly overbought during covid in a ā€˜buy to tryā€™ mode to find a new fit after 20+ years of not throwing. Cheap drops and limited supply may entice buyers to do that vs ā€˜think, debate, evaluateā€™ purchases for fear of missing outā€¦ which can grow a collection fast.

I keep what I enjoy, and then reshuffle my yoyo playlist from time to time. The rest go out for a loss on the BST. However, I try to buy less right now knowing the makers I enjoy/trust as well as the opinions of a few that have matched with my own likes.

Having to get rid of ALL the stuff my parents collected has humbled me to collect/buy less and build more memories instead.

18 Likes

Iā€™ve got around forty of them. Only the best of course. I like even numbers. That doesnā€™t include the Higby case. Those are my wifeā€™s.

11 Likes

I have 5 kids that would love to help with your problem :wink:

2 Likes

I too usually end up buying, buying, buyingā€¦ getting overwhelmed, then selling, selling, selling. Then staring at what became not enough then buying, buying, buyingā€¦. And so it goes.

This thread I think inspired me to move a few along actually! I have a few Ti that have never been used and would likely be happier being used elsewhere.

5 Likes

Years ago when I had 100 yo-yos I felt seriously overwhelmed. So I decided to get another 100 yo-yos and then decide which hundred or so to remove from my collection.

I just didnā€™t have the time to spend deciding, so in the meantime, I accumulated another few hundred yo-yos.

Now with 400 yo-yos I was starting to wonder what my purpose was?

I decided if I just held off till I broke 500, then I could just keep the cream of the crop and move 400 of the yo-yos to other folks. But then, I realized that if I scale down my herd by 400, I would still have 100 leftšŸ˜³

So, I decided to just keep collecting until I reached 1000 yo-yos. Then I would just have to sit down and pick my favorite 50 and that would be my remaining magic number.

Then Coding was looking for a new home for his 500+ yo-yos. He considered a select number of possible recipients and ended up telling me I seemed to be a good fit for various reasons.

When I returned from a 1000 mile road trip, I suddenly had over 1500 yo-yos.

With such a Large number of yo-yos, currently, it made it much easier to finally decide to start slimming down the collection. No problems. No regrets.

Itā€™s a huge inventory to review and I know it will take some time. But I can do it. This time is ā€˜theā€™ right time.

I am pretty much Maxxed outā€¦ā€¦ Unfortunately, this is going to take some doing because there are still just a few dozen yo-yos coming out I may pick up just in case one of them is the magical one Iā€™ve been waiting for?

37 Likes

Well said.

5 Likes