Anyone reduced a huge collection down to a handful of favorites?

I am considering it. I say this as I thought I was both a collector and player, and I am realizing that having yoyos that are sitting not being played makes little sense to me personally. I believe an exception would be holding on to an investment piece that is likely to increase in value over time.

I suppose it all comes down to personal preference, and what is right for me, might not be right for you, and that the best advice is to go with my gut and stand by whatever decision I make.

With having said that, I’d still like to open the conversation to see what others have done in this situation, and if it continues to be a decision for them that they in no way regret.

11 Likes

I’ve somewhat similarly changed the way I buy yo-yos recently as well. I don’t have a massive collection but up until recently used to just buy whatever was objectively a “good” new release, with the mindset of: if I don’t play it, I’ll sell it. Selling it would mean a loss and I realised it didn’t make sense to me, so decided to focus on a few specific brands that I really like rather than getting something either because I could or because it was good value.

Previously I would have bought the Invictus, Ditch, Gorge, Exia, etc., but passed on all of them.

9 Likes

I don’t regret it. I started by selling off in phases, basically, then kept going. I’ll still probably reduce by 5 or 6 more. Occasionally I’ll see something I used to have that is now selling for some exorbitant price and think “wow I wish I could be selling mine now” lol but I don’t have any regrets in keeping the count low. If anything it’s been liberating. I hate clutter or any amount of excess “stuff” that I’m not using regularly, yo-yos or otherwise, so it made sense for me.

10 Likes

I’ve sold off my collection almost entirely several times but there’s always a few I keep. At this point my collection is entirely made up of sentimental throws because I try to keep it all to fitting in my case

10 Likes

I sold every yo-yo that I don’t use regulary and stopped buying every new yo-yo to really focus on improving my skills

13 Likes

I don’t really see this as a player vs collector argument personally. My collection has never been particularly big, but a few months ago I sold off more than half of it. I had been collecting Unknowns thinking that a lot of it was just cool stuff to display. But really if I wasn’t playing it, seeing it on my wall didn’t make me appreciate it any more than just looking at a picture of it. I sold off the majority and just kept the ones I regularly threw or had damaged to the point where I don’t think people are particularly interested in buying them.

I just don’t see the merit of having pride in owning things. If you own things that you like because you use them, that’s cool. If the things you own are display pieces that you think are cool to actively view and appreciate in real life, that’s cool. That’s the reason why I had been collecting them initially, only to realize I don’t personally get much out of just seeing them on my wall. But collecting goods that you rarely use or don’t look at (tucked away in cases), just to feel some sense of pride or accomplishment from owning something? I genuinely don’t understand that. In a way it almost seems to me like people are just trying to have their ego stroked for only having spent money. “Cool, you spent money to accumulate a rare and valuable collection. You did a great job of having exchanged money for goods.”

This isn’t to just echo my millennial “no ethical consumption under capitalism” argument. Yoyo companies are small and run by mostly cool people, so you’re supporting good dudes when you’re buying yoyos. And lots of people end up selling off their rare old stuff when they’re in financial trouble, so helping them out is nice. But let’s not fool ourselves into thinking that the majority of the time buying yoyos is anything more than jumping at the chance to be able to purchase and own a thing. I think it’s very shallow and honestly kind of harmful to yourself to get obsessed in a consumerist mindset of “I must own this product to be able to appreciate it.”

I think it’s telling that a common occurrence is for people to get a new yoyo they like, and people reply with “Oh if you like X, you should go buy Y.” They just purchased a new yoyo, why should they actively start seeking out another instead of playing the thing they just purchased? New yoyos are exciting and fun, and trying new things in general is fun. But there’s just so much emphasis sometimes on people just buying and consuming yoyos that it’s really weird to me. I think part of that is why people end up with such big collections and struggle to let go of stuff from them. People are often told to consume more, but rarely are people told to just be content with what they have. With the rare exceptions mostly being told to kids or other people who don’t have the financial ability to just keep buying more.

Long, maybe kind of tangential post. But it’s something I notice a lot of, and think it’s a primary cause of how these huge collections and attachments to them are formed. It’s not about being a player or collector. I can think of a handful of amazing yoyo players who have massive collections for these reasons. It takes very little time to buy yoyos, only a few minutes at most. The idea that buying yoyos somehow cuts into potential practice time is weird to me. If you’re just scouring the BSTs all day long, or the majority of your time spent engaging with yoyos is just purchasing them, then yeah. But I really don’t think most people are doing that.

14 Likes

“If you’re just scouring the BSTs all day long, or the majority of your time spent engaging with yoyos is just purchasing them, then yeah. But I really don’t think most people are doing that.”

Can confirm, I am that weirdo on occasions regarding scouring the BST all day, lol, but it comes and goes in phases.

And you are right, you have players, you have collectors, and have the various shades of grey in between that come from multiple factors.

3 Likes

There are times where I’ve quickly thought…

I wonder how I’d feel if I took it from this

To this

And then I’m just like…

NAAAHHH :joy::joy::joy:

18 Likes

This right here :slight_smile: ^^^^

3 Likes

I had to do some serious soul searching, but I finally saw the light of reason and that was all I needed.

I am very, very proud to admit that I have scaled down my yo-yo collection from 1549 to 1540 even.

I just figured 1550 would have been the breaking point and I said no way, hoze-A!

I will be getting a yo-yo tomorrow and another on Tuesday.

…… but that still is far away from my Max overload point.

At least until Wednesday.

:roll_eyes:

10 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I don’t want the stuff I own to end up owning me. So, when the enjoyment of my collection becomes overshadowed by the increasing mental burden of owning it, then I’ve reached an unwelcomed tipping point that needs to be addressed. Owning stuff should not bring about feelings of anxiety.

Pick a yoyo. Sell it. See how it feels. If it was liberating, then continue. If you felt regret, then stop. At the end of the day, it’s all just “stuff”. Life is way too short to worry about whether or not you’ll have regret after selling a yo-yo. :laughing:

12 Likes

Surely there is more than one reason why someone would go about developing a collection of, well, anything? Personally, it sounds to me that the reason you felt so unfulfilled with your collection was because it was all about being a superficial flex. You envisioned that just having all of these exclusive items would somehow add to long term satisfaction, when in the end you were just chasing a misconception.

Building my yoyo collection started from the main desire to have “one of each type of throw to figure out what you like”, as is advice I see thrown out there frequently when people ask what is the best yoyo. As my collection slowly expanded, I did develop a sense of what I like and dislike, but what I like above all that is variety.

Yea, I think FOMO fuels a lot of collector communities and I wont deny it. But at the heart of their design, new yoyos are meant to be a uniquely feeling and playing experience.

Im not fooling myself when I legitimately enjoy opening up my yoyo cases, scanning my eyes over the various throws, and figuring out what I want to vibe with for a yoyo session. Ive heard a lot of people complain about choice paralysis in this kind of situation, but for me it is like being a kid in a candy store, and I know that I will enjoy whatever yoyo I end up selecting to play.

Yea, lol, I don’t get this either. ‘You just bought a MCMO? Wait till you try a Grail’. Though admittedly I see a lot of posts like “just got ‘x’, what else should I buy?”, so I guess it is just ingrained in people to just always be seeking the next dopamine rush.

9 Likes

At least in my scenario I wouldn’t really say I even felt particularly unfulfilled with my collection. It was never to flex, I bought them because I enjoyed them as both art pieces and as fun things to play with. I had zero sentiment towards them other than thinking they were great design pieces that I just didn’t play often enough to justify the monetary cost of. I was never chasing anything other than just buying things I thought were cool, but then feeling guilty about just having too many things I didn’t play with unless I forced myself to pick up something I hadn’t played with in a while.

That lack of having any real connection with them other than just thinking they looked nice and were fun enough to play made it pretty easy to part with them. I see some people who don’t want to sell things for fear that they won’t be able to reacquire them due to rarity.

I know my post is kind of loaded with an apparent distaste for that approach to collecting, of just wanting to accumulate a massive quantity of valuable things. Most of my apparent disdain for that quantity styled approach to collecting mostly comes from retro games though, yoyos don’t have it nearly as bad as other hobbies do. I’m genuinely pretty sick of people buying games for hundreds of dollars that they have zero intention of playing, and then looking to others for validation on their purchase of a thing based purely on its price, all while trying to gatekeep people from just emulating/pirating stuff. That’s super unrelated to this topic, but that’s where my opinion on this matter mostly stems from if it seems like I feel pretty strongly about it. (I do)

There’s nothing wrong with owning a lot of yoyos though. If you don’t really sell your old stuff and are in the hobby for years while slowly accumulating stuff, that’s just the inevitable outcome. I think the overall point I just wanted to get across was that some people get far too attached to their material possessions and it makes it very hard for them to part with stuff, even if their attachment is very shallow, just in the value/rarity of it.

That being said if you’re happy with what you’ve got, you don’t need any extra cash, and you’re not hurting for space, what’s the reason to sell your yoyos to downsize your collection? There really isn’t any. Me just preferring to only own things I regularly use is definitely a personal preference that I don’t expect everybody else to feel the same way about.

8 Likes

Hi my name is Rob and I’m a yo-yo purchasing addict. It’s been one week since my last purchase.
I’ve recently cut back on buying as well. I don’t really want to sell any of them but there are a handful I wouldn’t be sad about finding them new homes. I have about 75ish, and I feel I have plenty now. I still want a full Ti but I’m going to wait until I find the perfect one at the right price. Otherwise I have a pretty solid collection. If something strikes me as new or different from what I already have (shapes or weight?)then I might be interested. My last purchase was the new run of weekender. We’ll see how long this lasts.

6 Likes

While I haven’t reduced my collection or anything, having a 3D printer has GREATLY reduced the amount of yo-yos I buy.

4 Likes

I have such mixed feelings on this topic. On one hand, I’m pretty uncomfortable with celebrating consumerism that way that we do in our culture. On the other hand, I know that those huge yoyo collections help keep the lights on for yoyo companies.

7 Likes

You should try letting just… hmm i dont know… maybe just trying letting one go and see how it feels :grin:

1 Like

Ive debated liquidating but at this point its too much effort lol. Plus I’m like a squirrel with shiney things as soon as I see a shiney thing I drop the one im holding and switch. This leads me to playing almost every yoyo I own fairly frequently in regards to the total number of throws I have.

8 Likes

that’s just plain nuts lumanasty

2 Likes