Name a yoyo you don't use, but also won't sell

I’m always trying to downsize my collection to keep things reasonable, but some yoyos I just can’t bring myself to get rid of even if I never use them. Either because it “compliments” my collection in some way or I don’t think I’d be able to get another if I sold it and I’d later regret it.

So… what’s a yo-yo that you don’t really use, but you also can’t bring yourself to let go of? Why?

6 Likes

Probably the only throws I don’t regularly play with are the ones I started with. I have a tiger shark and bumblebee gt sitting on my wall from when I started.

6 Likes

Alex Hattori Boost² - I still actually throw this on occasion, and I’m always surprised by how well it performs, given it’s shape. It’s too unique to let go.

RCS Dumpster Fire - I don’t think I have to explain why I don’t play with this one, but it’s amazing the lengths RCS went to to make a legitimately bad but amazingly well produced yoyo.

I think anything else in my collection I either play with regularly or would have a price for which I would let it go (even if it’s a little too high).

5 Likes

Literally everything in my collection that isn’t on my desk at the current moment which is like a hundred yoyos or so.

6 Likes

I keep my collection small so if stuff doesn’t get played it gets sold or traded. I guess the only one that wouldnt get sold is the metal GM2 which was my first metal yoyo.

4 Likes

My Replay Pro, because it’s my first yo-yo since I got back into throwing (the YYF One that I smashed doesn’t count) and also because it’s really not worth anything since a new one is $16. I might give it away one day but I’ll never sell it.

Ivan

4 Likes

This one.

10 Likes

It’s in great shape with only one or two tiny cracks beginning. But this was a must have back in the day and it throws really well for such a simple response system. American Made for the win!!

A pink C3 yoyodesign Di Base.

I bought it 3 days before today’s date in 2012 as a birthday present for myself (July 8th). My son died on this day in 2012 (July 10th). It was one of the first yo-yos I had bought myself in a while as I just didn’t have a whole lot of disposable income, but my wife encouraged me to treat myself. Ezra had just been born in May and things were going well for us and our little growing family. TBH, I really don’t like the way it handles/plays… lol! But it was an awesome price from a brand that was putting out some really great stuff… They still do. But I can’t sell it. It’s forever attached to the memories I have of showing my son what a yo-yo is for the very first, and consequently last time in this lifetime.

11 Likes

Basically 80% of my collection.

But in all seriousness I won’t throw my clear YYR Diffusion anymore because the cracks on it is one hit away from it shattering but I have a lot of good memories with it.

In terms of mint yo-yos I don’t want to throw my DNA or B-Grade Mutant DNA anymore because I just like looking at them.

3 Likes

Same here.

One yoyo in particular is a case queen that I’ll never sell (my powder-coated white VTWO).

2 Likes

Guys what are you doing?? If most of your collection fits into this category, you NEED to start yoyoing more.

I understand collecting by now. I really do. But whatever yoyos I collect, I always use. Always.

Collecting, I get. Not yoyoing, I can’t.

10 Likes

What makes you think we aren’t playing yoyo? I may only use 20% of my collection, but I play some portion of that 20% every day.

4 Likes

Some people simply want to own things and for various reasons, and that’s ok by me.

The purpose of this topic was not to judge or shame anyone but to see what people are hanging on to and why. Sentimentality plays a huge a part as we’ve seen, but also uniqueness, and for some perhaps a smidge of obssessive collecting and/or hoarding behavior.

I just like the stories attached to specific yoyos people own.

I mostly agree with you, use what you got. I could easily get by owning just one yoyo, but I have a modest collection. I like to keep it under 30ish give or take. But when I buy more, I force myself to sell others to stay near my “magic” number. So some things stay and some things go and it’s always a struggle. And I noticed that certain yoyos stick around even when I don’t use them very much. Like my YoYoFreaks Hashtag – I love that little guy!

8 Likes

This is just my perspective but I also dont like hoarding yos. But collecting/collectors continue to help the market I suppose when it comes to stuff continuously flying off the shelves and companies having a reason to pump out cool jazz.

Heck if I could afford ot I would buy a yoyo a week man lol. But I got my favorites I would play 99% of the time. But what I would end up doing is sell them off to continue to buy the next new thing. (Wait I use to do that, my budget just couldn’t keep up with my gluttony) :stuck_out_tongue::smiling_imp:

7 Likes

Good point. But there is usually a strong correlation between having many yoyos that are never thrown, and not throwing yo-yo very often, or for very long. At least from what I have seen in the community.

3 Likes

I have a small pile of reserves for current and future mk1 team members. I used to sell every extra but it always bit me later.

3 Likes

A-RT Quail, within the first hour with it I underestimated the gap, binded with too much force and it smacked myself so hard in the eye I thought I had blinded myself. Since then it just sits in the case.

That was over a year ago :thinking:

7 Likes

A Replay Pro I got when I was in Copenhagen with my family summer 2019. I’ve got a lot of yo-yos I prefer, especially comparing plastics to plastics, so it doesn’t get thrown much. But it won’t leave my collection because it’s a reminder of that time and how after I got it, I was playing with it in an alley (so as to be out of the way) and someone walked by and said “oh wow that was cool”.

I have a very large collection. Not as big as some of the collections out there, but larger than probably 95% of them. I yoyo constantly throughout the day, mostly just to pick it up and throw for 5-10 minutes, other times for solid 30 minute sessions, all total it’s probably at least an hour. While I could spend more time than that, and do occasionally especially if I’m working on something, I’ve got other things to do and other things I like to do as yo-yoing isn’t my only hobby, though it is the one I’ve spent the most time with.

I didn’t always have a large collection. Growing up I didn’t have the disposable income I do now so if I wanted a new or different yoyo, I had to sell or trade the ones I already had. I was super active on the BSTs because of this, and my collection stayed at around 20 throws total. Nowadays, I do have that disposable income so the collection has just kept growing, though I do have purges every now and then.

Sometimes I think about vastly paring it down and living an ascetic life in regards to yo-yoing, but then I remember just how much I love throwing each one of them since they’re all different. It makes me appreciate those differences and why I prefer certain design choices over others. I really enjoy having a “library” of throws to choose from so I can switch it up any time I choose; I have ADHD and for me having my large collection really gels with that, it helps keep the hobby “fresh” for me.

So yes, while at any one point in time I’m only throwing about 10% of my collection, and I could probably throw more, I don’t need to.

8 Likes

I scatter my yoyos everywhere! I have them in each room of the house, the garage, the woodshop, the shed, and each vehicle. I have them on shelves, counters, in closets and drawers. It’s not that I don’t throw them it’s just that I simply may have them in a location I haven’t frequented recently.

6 Likes